Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Looking for recommendations for a good quality crossbow in the $1k range for deer hunting. Thanks, the Creed is no longer an option for me.

bludog

Last edited by bludog; 09/13/18.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Send me the $1K and I'll order you a brand new Centerpoint 380 Torment Whisper. Heck, I'll even throw in a Hawk scope with ranging capabilities and illuminated cross-hairs cuz that's the kind of guy I am.

Let me know if you want my address...

You gotta stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could buy 2 good quality crossbows for that, or look into things like the Parker self cocker bows. https://www.parkerbows.com/product/concorde/

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by swamphunter
Send me the $1K and I'll order you a brand new Centerpoint 380 Torment Whisper. Heck, I'll even throw in a Hawk scope with ranging capabilities and illuminated cross-hairs cuz that's the kind of guy I am.

Let me know if you want my address...

I'll second the Centerpoint recommendation.

Mine is a Sniper 370. I swapped the lousy scope for a Hawke.

About $400 into it, and I love it. Very accurate and quiet.

Check the reviews on Amazon.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agree on the Parker bow but not sure about the self cocker. Friend has one and it is bulky, clumsy, etc... I have one of the better Parkers with over $900 in it. Very happy with it and have been using xbows for many years.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you want the best and most accurate you will have to up the anty. I (and many many others) shot the Ravin crossbow at bowfest recently.

They had one setup and a target out at 200 yards. There was a 9 inch spot with a 3 inch spot in the center. I and all the others had never even touched a Ravin prior to that day. I took 6 shots and hit both the 9 and 3 inch spot at 200 yards as did the other men and women. Easy peasy. @00 yards and as good or better than modern Muzzleloaders. No effort, no practice, just point and shoot.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Opinions of the TenPoint Venom? Introduced as top of their line in 2014, 372 fps, light weight, and accurate. Gotta good lead on one, lightly used.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can afford it get a ravin.

My r-9 is awesomeness!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
TenPoint makes great crossbows and their customer service is excellent. I shoot the Turbo XLT.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
In my opinion, a lot depends on how much you plan to shoot. If you are like most guys and shoot a few shots to sight in and maybe a few periodically to keep fresh, any of the bows mentioned work great. If you plan to shoot a lot, look at Excalibur or Kodabow. Much easier to work on and less prone to problems due to their simplicity. You can get Triggertech trigger for Excalibur (ten point and a few others as well). Kodabow trigger is very nice out of the box. Just something to think about as you can change your own string with either of these, and no pulleys and cams to get out of time or need other adjustments that require a tech.

IC B3

B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Yeah, my wife shoots a TP Titan SS. They also own and make Horton's now too.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Get the Venom and forget about that 200 yd non-sense with a crossbow.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by sharp_things
If you want the best and most accurate you will have to up the anty. I (and many many others) shot the Ravin crossbow at bowfest recently.

They had one setup and a target out at 200 yards. There was a 9 inch spot with a 3 inch spot in the center. I and all the others had never even touched a Ravin prior to that day. I took 6 shots and hit both the 9 and 3 inch spot at 200 yards as did the other men and women. Easy peasy. @00 yards and as good or better than modern Muzzleloaders. No effort, no practice, just point and shoot.

Kids, women or anyone else making consistent shots into a 3" circle at 200 yards is all in the crossbow? Lmao I know a lot hunters couldn't hold that with a bench rest rifle. It's the trigger puller that does the job. I'd like to see all these 200 yard bullseyes. Nice backdoor comments. Then again, you're no stranger to the backdoor. 😉

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big woods, have you shot a Ravin?

I only shoot mine about to about 60 yards. Most is about 40 yards. I only shoot once per bullseye. Otherwise I break bolts.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nope, never shot one. I have shot with people that are hunters with a more than capable rifle to put a hole in a 3" dot at 200 yards that can't. Just saying "everyone" doing it easily is a big stretch.

It's all info coming from a person that has fought against crossbow use for years so take it for what it's worth.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by bigwoods
Nope, never shot one. I have shot with people that are hunters with a more than capable rifle to put a hole in a 3" dot at 200 yards that can't. Just saying "everyone" doing it easily is a big stretch.

It's all info coming from a person that has fought against crossbow use for years so take it for what it's worth.

Do they lack the self discipline to be a decent shot?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Even if they can pull the shot off in a open field , not sure how that will pan out in the woods . The trajectory of the bolt at 100 yds would probably get the bolt deflected by low hanging limbs , no telling how high that bolt would be mid range of 200 yds . Plus still having enough energy to get into the vitals .
Kenneth

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Tweed
Originally Posted by bigwoods

Do they lack the self discipline to be a decent shot?

I guess I'm not sure where you are going with that. Are you saying all the people that shot the Ravin have self discipline and regularly shoot enough to be pulling off "easy" 200 yards shots no matter the weapon?

My guess is very few people in the general hunting population have that type of "self discipline" or skill to have a 200 yard shot be easy.

How many people did you personally witness making a 200 yard shot with the Ravin in the 3" dot?

Last edited by bigwoods; 09/14/18.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Big woods, have you shot a Ravin?

I only shoot mine about to about 60 yards. Most is about 40 yards. I only shoot once per bullseye. Otherwise I break bolts.
I do the same with my center point sniper. I'd be smashing arrows constantly at 40 yards if I didn't.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Ravin R10 is all you need in their line. Don’t worry about the 200 yard R20. Personally, I feel as though 100 is too far for a crossbow. The advantages of the Ravin are truly nice. Their cocking system, along with the decocking system are superb. The bolt doesn’t ride on the rail either. It’s phenomenal is close quarters because of overall width. If I were buying a crossbow today, I’d do myself a favor and check out the Ravin.

The parent company of Crosman just bought Ravin for 94 million. Not knocking a Centerpoint, but if they truly thought they had the best bow in the business they wouldn’t have dropped nearly $100,000,000 for Ravin’s technology.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
88 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, batch, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.