Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I have had a pile of crossbows both compound and recurve and IMO Excalibur is the way to go, they are light and tough and very easy to work on and unlike most compounds you can decock them, that is a big plus cause its a real pain to have to shoot your bow to unload, its means either shooting an arrow into the ground (this is hard on arrows even the dummy discharge arrows usually dont last long) or having a discharge target around somewhere........Good luck .....Hb
The center point sniper can also be decocked without shooting. That said I really don't understand the big deal with decocking. I just throw my x-bow target in the back of my Jeep when I go hunting and decock by shooting an arrow into it at the end of the day.

You can also decock a Stryker Katana 385, it has the Tenpoint anti-dryfire system.......I think some Mission bows may have a let down feature but Im not sure......I have owned many brands of crossbows that I had to carry a decocking target with me when I went hunting ( I got tired of ruining arrows by shooting them in the ground) this means you must carry your still cocked bow out of the woods... Many times I had to carry my unloaded but cocked crossbow a few miles in rough terrain back to my truck. I did this one time only to find that someone had stolen My unloading target from the back of My truck. A buddy of mine was not so lucky, the thieves in his case actually busted out the back window of his Toyota 4Runner to steal his target ( this happened in Ohio) so this meant he went the last 4 days of our hunt and the 5 hour drive home with no back window....(PVC plasteek and duct tape back window) ....Now I only buy bows that have a decocking feature.......Good hunting.....Hb

Decocking really does not matter. If you can cock the bow by hand, you can decock it by hand. It is quite simple, and I do it all the time. Just set it ready to fire, no arrow, aimed down, foot in the stirrup, grab the bow string with one hand firmly and put some tension on it. Fire the crossbow, it will jerk some, but not badly, let it down by hand. My crossbow is a Horton or a Barnett (I have 2) and I do it one handed every time I am done shooting and need to decock.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by garren
Get the ravin and dont look back best xbow out there But remember you stuck with buying there acc. arrows nocks still worth it love mine

I couldn't disagree more. I have the R9 and would gladly sell it, trade it, whatever to get my Excalibur back again. Ravin is not for everyone, believe me.

I believe it is also the most unsafe Xbow out there. All of them should be treated with the utmost respect, but the ravin requires more IMO. Hurt my hand last year pretty badly decocking this bow, this injury could of happen to anybody, and I thank god I didn't lose a finger. Many people have injured themselves with the R9 if you do a google search.

Yes, I would sell mine in a heartbeat if anyone is interested.

Last edited by cooperfan; 10/06/18.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I had a TP Turbo XLT and saw a eight pointed at 74 yards last year. I was not comfortable with that range on my TP. I could have hit but not sure if it would have brought it down. So I decided to pass on it.

Fast forward to this year, sold the TP XLT and used the funds to place a deposit on a Ravin R20 Sniper. I have practicing with it and can do 3 bolts within 3” at 75 yds with penetration. Last Saturday, I took it to range and did 3” grouping at 100 yds. Waited for the crosswinds to settle down, turned the dial to the highest setting (160 yds) and aimed the Vortex Eagle scope to the second crosshair below center. Shot the bolt (100gr), I thought I shot low, but the rest of the guys cheered as they saw the target bag tipped backwards with penetration at 200 yds. High about 3” and to the right 5” with a 4 mph crosswind coming from my left. Not bad!!! But would I trust it from 100 yds and in: HELLYEAH

With the Ravin R20 you decock it unlike the TP you would have to fire the practice dummy bolts to clear your bow. I wish that Ravin would have made the side pocket on the soft bag about two inches longer so that I can place the quiver & bolts in it.

For what it’s worth, TP Customer Service was superb! I have not had to deal with Ravin yet but at least they are close in Wisc.

Basically any xbow should suit your specific needs. Do the research and snoop around the range to what others are using. You get what you pay for!!

Last edited by duff645; 10/11/18.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Is the bow tech on the ARplatform any good?

B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well, I ended up getting the Tenpoint Venom and ended up trading my Creed for it. Nice, light weight and accurate. Took this guy Saturday at 18 yds, hard quartering away, arrow entered just behind last right rib and exited brisket just inside left foreleg. He ran about 30 yds, stopped and swayed, tried to run again, and stumbled about 10 more yards and went down for good. Very happy with the bow. Thanks for all the suggestions and input.

bludog

[Linked Image]

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another Happy Ending! Congratulations. These things are amazing.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Tenpoint using a Tenpoint. Awesome story & pic. Congrats.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Tenpoint using a Tenpoint. Awesome story & pic. Congrats!!

May I inquire which broadheads you used for this wonderful set-up??

B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Yeah, the bolt blew right through him. Our archery requirements changed a year or two ago allowing crossbows for bow season hunting. I'd not been successful with my compound, this was almost too easy in comparison.

I was just using a Muzzy Trocar. It shot very close to the field points when sighting in, and was definitely minute of deer accurate out to 40 yds. And it did a great job on this guy.

Last edited by bludog; 10/29/18.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I used my father-in-laws $700.00 Wicked Ridge Ten Point to kill this one last Thursday. I normally shoot a Matthews Creed but this buck started showing up at a blind that is hard to shoot a compound out of so I took his crossbow. If I was going to buy one I would get a Excalibur.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have an Excalibur and am completely happy. All this talk of 200 yard shots is fun for target shooting. I think it would be unethical on animals. The flight time on a crossbow bolt is just too long.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
125 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,672
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.