Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I emailed them and got a response. For now at least this is the only ultralight they will offer.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Originally Posted by iddave
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If Castle_Rock is correct and this is just a cosmetic redo of an existing scope, that would explain the design. Can't just snap your fingers and change the eye-relief; everything's connected as they say. If, on the other hand, it's new, then the ER is either a compromise to achieve the other optical goals, or a giant boo-boo that will turn some buyers away, but obviously not all. Like it or lump it; buy it or don't; can't see them changing it now.

Castle Rock is wrong.

There is a Sightron that is physically similar in many regards, but the specs are wildly different.

weight, diameter, travel, eye-relief are all vastly different...all expect weight favor or the Sightron btw.

Dave

I think you might find that I am correct if you do a bit of research, there have been a couple of Sightron models in the 2-10 range

It won't be the first time I'm wrong, but I'll be damned if I can find anything in their current line-up that mirrors the SWFA, other than what I already eluded to. Care to enlighten me with what scope your speaking of?

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Castlerock is referring to a now discontinued Sightron SII 2.5-10x32 Compact that they used to make several years ago. I have one for a while and then gave it to a friend of mine who still has it on a 7.62x54R boltgun. Great little scope.
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If Castle_Rock is correct and this is just a cosmetic redo of an existing scope, that would explain the design. Can't just snap your fingers and change the eye-relief; everything's connected as they say. If, on the other hand, it's new, then the ER is either a compromise to achieve the other optical goals, or a giant boo-boo that will turn some buyers away, but obviously not all. Like it or lump it; buy it or don't; can't see them changing it now.

Castle Rock is wrong.

There is a Sightron that is physically similar in many regards, but the specs are wildly different.

weight, diameter, travel, eye-relief are all vastly different...all expect weight favor or the Sightron btw.

Dave

I think you might find that I am correct if you do a bit of research, there have been a couple of Sightron models in the 2-10 range

It won't be the first time I'm wrong, but I'll be damned if I can find anything in their current line-up that mirrors the SWFA, other than what I already eluded to. Care to enlighten me with what scope your speaking of?

Castlerock is referring to a now discontinued Sightron SII 2.5-10x32 Compact that they used to make several years ago. I have one for a while and then gave it to a friend of mine who still has it on a 7.62x54R boltgun. Great little scope.

The current somewhat similar offering that Sightron has is the S-Tac 2-10x32. The S-Tac is a very decent scope, but it is built on a 30mm tube and weighs 16 ounces. It is still very compact and comes with very generous and flexible eye relief. The plex reticle is about same size as in the SWFA SS ultralight, while HHR2 gives you a BDC and a some MOA ranging hashmarks.

ILya

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I can smoke they made something close several years ago....but I was fairly certain nothing available today was a "rebadged" Sightron.

p.s. Looked up an article about the "compact" sightron (no longer available) you mentioned. Looks like even it had considerably more eye-relief than the SWFA....3.5-3.8 if Randy Wakeman is to be believed.

Last edited by iddave; 09/13/18.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I was ready to buy one over labor day weekend when they had their 10% off sale but then read about BDC reticle coming soon..

Ted
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I can smoke they made something close several years ago....but I was fairly certain nothing available today was a "rebadged" Sightron.

p.s. Looked up an article about the "compact" sightron (no longer available) you mentioned. Looks like even it had considerably more eye-relief than the SWFA....3.5-3.8 if Randy Wakeman is to be believed.

While I do not thin there is anything re-badged there, if memory serves me right, the little SIghtron had less eye relief than Randy claimed. If I were to make a guess off of my recollections, I'd say around three inches and Midway still has a "discontinued" webpage for it that lists it as 2.9 - 3.6".

ILya

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
They need ta come out with a 3-9x40 hunting scope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SWFA guts in a Leupold 6x42 body, low elevation knob, MQ, capped windage. $299. They wouldn't be able to keep them in stock.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 16bore
SWFA guts in a Leupold 6x42 body, low elevation knob, MQ, capped windage. $299. They wouldn't be able to keep them in stock.

I'd be in for several. For my hunting, I'd prefer a heavier subtensioned reticle with closer spacing of the heavy posts than the current two.....but I love the current two on targets and at distance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I looked that Sightron up. Looks decent, but I have no notion of how reliable they are. One reviewer liked it pretty well, but the finish marked up very easily. For $50 more, I'd get a closeout Tract Tekoa 2-10 T-plex, and carry a few extra ounces. That T-plex is an excellent hunting reticle, with the posts coming in close to center, unlike a lot of duplexes that might as well be crosshairs.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

yes please!

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Yondering

yes please!

It’s the scope everyone on the Campfire (myself included) has been begging for, but no one seems capable/inclined to make. I’ve given up hope it’ll ever happen, and use a 3-9SS as the next best option.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

+ add illumination, reduce the ocular diameter, and apply a hydrophobic coating to the lenses...

...and double the price.

Double the price again and make it a 3-12x42mm and/or 50mm FFP variable.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Yondering

yes please!

It’s the scope everyone on the Campfire (myself included) has been begging for, but no one seems capable/inclined to make. I’ve given up hope it’ll ever happen, and use a 3-9SS as the next best option.

Just to be clear, SWFA 6x guts are a little overbuilt to make it survive constant turret twisting and parallax adjustment and probably will not fit in a Leupold 6x42 body.

If you reduce ocular diameter, you reduce FOV.

In the grand scheme of things, none is inclined to make it because there is not enough market for it, unless you are all going to buy a hundred of them each.

ILya

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It can be 30mm

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
It can, but fundamentally it is still a matter of someone believing that there is enough of the market for it. The reason SWFA SS scopes do so well is that they appeal to both tactical and hunting markets to a reasonable degree. Within the tactical world SWFA has a bit more name recognition, but they seem to be getting better known within the hunting world as well. Perhaps, this is the time to expand their hunting line and they seem to think so too, hence the 2.5-10x32 Ultralight that they introduced. Whether you agree with it or not, it is definitely aimed at the hunting market and it definitely the first SWFA-branded product aimed primarily at hunters, albeit more at AR and intermediate caliber applications than the traditional hunting world.

Perhaps, we will see more of the hunting specific products from them. That having been said, is I were to offer an advice to them, I would not elect to introduce a fixed 6x scope for the hunting world. I'd go with a a variable of moderate mag range and with known good internals so that it can be offered in a variety of options with covered turrets, exposed elevation turret, different reticles, etc. Personally, I would also really want a FFP version, but I am probably alone on that.

If I were to configure a near perfect general purpose scope with hunting an occasional precision shooting in mind, I would likely go for a 2-10x or similar FFP design in as light of a package as possible, with a simple illuminated dot, a small tree reticle, a covered windage turret and an exposed low profile elevation turret.

Burris XTR II 2-10x42 is somewhat close, but a bit heavy and the reticle is not ideal. A very solid scope otherwise.

ILya

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The development of the Super Chicken didn't have much to do with the type of hunting most have in mind. At least 4 legged animals.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by koshkin
It can, but fundamentally it is still a matter of someone believing that there is enough of the market for it. The reason SWFA SS scopes do so well is that they appeal to both tactical and hunting markets to a reasonable degree. Within the tactical world SWFA has a bit more name recognition, but they seem to be getting better known within the hunting world as well. Perhaps, this is the time to expand their hunting line and they seem to think so too, hence the 2.5-10x32 Ultralight that they introduced. Whether you agree with it or not, it is definitely aimed at the hunting market and it definitely the first SWFA-branded product aimed primarily at hunters, albeit more at AR and intermediate caliber applications than the traditional hunting world.

Perhaps, we will see more of the hunting specific products from them. That having been said, is I were to offer an advice to them, I would not elect to introduce a fixed 6x scope for the hunting world. I'd go with a a variable of moderate mag range and with known good internals so that it can be offered in a variety of options with covered turrets, exposed elevation turret, different reticles, etc. Personally, I would also really want a FFP version, but I am probably alone on that.

If I were to configure a near perfect general purpose scope with hunting an occasional precision shooting in mind, I would likely go for a 2-10x or similar FFP design in as light of a package as possible, with a simple illuminated dot, a small tree reticle, a covered windage turret and an exposed low profile elevation turret.

Burris XTR II 2-10x42 is somewhat close, but a bit heavy and the reticle is not ideal. A very solid scope otherwise.

ILya

My ideal scope is the current 3-9x42 HD with both turrets capped. It can be FFP or SFP - if I'm shooting far enough to use the reticle, the scope will be on 9x anyway. To me, the current 3-9 is very close to perfect.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If SWFA had designed the 2.5-10 with "normal" eye relief, it would've worked just as well for AR guys, but also worked for a wide variety of other hunters. As it is, it's really only practical for 22s and the small market of AR guys who want as light as possible variable "hunting" scope. If they would've designed the scope with more eye relief, it would've tapped into the much larger ultralight hunting market.

For a general use hunting scope, all SWFA needs to do is put a low profile, capped windage adjustment on their 3-9, and add a zero stop to the elevation. Some more eye relief would also be nice (~3.75-4" at 9x). If they want an ultralight hunting scope, build the 2.5-10 with generous eye relief and matching turrets/reticle.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ckat

My ideal scope is the current 3-9x42 HD with both turrets capped. It can be FFP or SFP - if I'm shooting far enough to use the reticle, the scope will be on 9x anyway. To me, the current 3-9 is very close to perfect.

Pretty much agree. I own 2 of the 3-9x42. I would prefer them in second focal plane. The reticle on 9X is great for hunting. IMO it gets pretty hard to see in timber under 6X.

Scott
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.