Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Honestly, weaponizing space is about as stupid as using nukes to advance policy. The long term downside just runs off the chart. Can you imagine what zapping a few good size satellites would do to create ultra high muzzle velocity space junk that would put EVERYTHING in space at random risk of destruction?.

Although we should consider keeping space junk free going forward, I think the probability of what you're implying is insignificantly low. First off, the sheer surface area around the exoatmosphere at any given altitude is enormous compared to the size of any junk in space. Then, you have to consider that both items would have to be at the same altitude to collide. It would be like shooting a bullet in a rural county area in a random direction and accidentally hitting a man 4 miles away center mass.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Theres kind of a big dif between an escaped round and space junk, Bro Blue.
Imagine if every round we fired past the backstop just kept on going three feet off the ground (same altitude, right) until it hits something. That's what happens in orbit, it comes around, and around again and around again. Not a question of if, but when, and how big be the bang?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Imagine if that round contained 100,000 ball bearings, and after exploding taking out said satellite they just kept going maintaining orbits in all directions taking out anything they came into contact with... big shot shells.

Phil.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus
ol werner von braun helped get it all going. it's kind of amazing actually. we were fortunate to attract his talent.

lot's of reports of black op satellites out there. i have no clue if that's true.

Float on up and do some checking. I'll hold the string tied to your big toe. wink

You make some good points, Gus. cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Live coverage coming up. Launching in a few minutes at 9:02 Eastern.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Beautiful launch to end an era with the Delta's 100th straight success.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks Rocky for posting this. I always enjoy these launches.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
That one was bittersweet for me, obviously. I love that bird and I'll miss it a lot.

But it well and truly marks the end of the first generation of space launchers. It went from a Model T to a Model A, and there are simply no payloads any more that need just a Model A delivery truck. The fact that it was in active service for half a century is astounding, really.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
It may have been a Model A, but we have made some bad choices since then.

First we were going to put everything up on the Shuttle. Nixon thought it would save money and stopped building Saturn Vs to pay for to develop the Shuttle. The Shuttle was a remarkable machine, but it cost too much to fly.

The Air Force kept flying Atlas, Delta and Titan. These were reasonably priced when we were building hundreds or thousands of the missile they were based on, but by the 70's the ballistic missiles were all solid rocket motors sitting alert in silos. It was costing the Air Force a lot to keep three production lines open for a handful of launches a year. By the early 90's it looked like a large commercial market for constellations of satellites was developing. The Air Force thought they could get the big aerospace firms to carry the cost of developing new vehicles. This was probably a good plan, but the large launch market didn't develop in the time frame expected, and the aerospace firms made some poor choices. Boeing thought they could save money with a low tech engine that relied on hydrogen fuel to get high performance. They invested big in a new factory in Alabama, but the flight rate to cover the cost never materialized, and the hydrogen fueled vehicle was expensive to manufacture. Lockheed Martin got performance with a high tech Russian engine and kerosene fuel. Choosing a Russian engine seems boneheaded, but Pratt & Whitney planned to build a manufacturing line in the United States. When the flight rate didn't materialize Pratt chose not to invest in the new production line leaving Lockheed Martin stuck with the Russian engine.

In parallel NASA tried to go really high tech with a single stage to orbit program that encountered development problems and never got to production.

Fortunately, Elon Musk invested in a 1950's technology engine and evolved it to a reusable first stage. He may have saved some cost with modern manufacturing technology, but the biggest savings is probably the fact that he is not running a big aerospace firm with the high overhead typical of a traditional government contractor. He is probably also pricing on what he thinks he can get to on cost some day, not what it is actually costing him today. this gets his flight rate up which hastens the day he wil get his cost low enough to actually make money.

Lessons learned, don't stop building what works till the replacement is available, and develop incrementally. We got to Saturn V by way of I and Ib.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
All true. Today, the launch market is finally huge - and growing. Growing in numbers as well as size of payload. With some communications satellites topping 30,000 pounds, the need for huge boosters is certainly there. Arianespace of Europe uses their incredibly reliable Ariane 5 hydrogen-powered booster to launch two commsats at a time, and is designing the even larger Ariane 6.

But so is the market for smaller, cheaper satellites that take advantage of miniaturization and single-purpose design - and the boosters to launch them. Witness Rocket Lab of California and New Zealand and their new rocket that puts 300 pound payloads into low orbit, and the milk crate-sized satellites it carries.

Then there are the military uses, which are (ahem) exploding. Commsats, GPS, spy sats, ship trackers, realtime observation sats, and who knows what else. All need boosters to get there.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This is a cool thread, though I have to agree seeing a part of ones misspent youth go away is always a bit melancholy. Have you considered buying one of the model versions as a bit of decor? It would make a sharp bit of gear for the den, I'd wager.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Beautiful launch to end an era with the Delta's 100th straight success.

100 straight successes, eh?

Back around 1970 they'd launched about 110 Thor Deltas total and all but five or six were successes. When Hughes Aircraft Company designed the first truly successful commercial communications satellite, they worked like mad to make sure they could launch it on the Delta. Earlier satellites had required the Atlas Centaur, which was terribly unreliable in comparison.

I know. I was there.

BTW: Do you happen to know what the thrust was of the later Delta main engine? Back in the day it was 150,000 pounds, no strap on solids then.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
hope they come up with something as good or better

in today's liberal controlled world? fat chance of that SAM....

if it is better, it will come from the Russians or the Chinese... the one's who are willing to make the sacrifices our nation USE to make 50 and 60 years ago for the space program.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Rocketscientist:

Don't blame Nixon for putting all our eggs in the Space Shuttle basket. It wasn't his fault that the shuttle didn't do what the NASA engineers had said it would do.

The Air Force could see disaster coming and pulled out of the program long before the Challenger disaster. Sad because their Shuttle launch pad at Vandenberg (for polar orbits) was abandoned. $4 billion down the drain. There were other compromises as well. For instance the Shuttle payload bay was sized for their spy satellites.

Incidentally the Hubble Space telescope is a modified spy satellite. If you know the diameter of its primary mirror (94 inches), you can calculate what it can resolve from any altitude. From 300 miles it can see a license plate but can't read the numbers.

The Shuttle's two worst design flaws, in my opinion (despite costing far more to build and maintain than had been promised) were (a) the only manned spacecraft with NO escape mechanism for the crew, and (b) solid rocket motors on a manned craft in the first place. Once lit, they cannot be throttled and cannot even be turned off until they run out of fuel.

Finally, SpaceX did not just return to 1950s technology. Their greatest innovation was a device like the one in the center of a garden hose nozzle, which lets the thrust be easily throttled. This allows them to land in one piece. Secondly, they use one turbine pump for both fuel and oxidizer. there are probably others.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Indy, the last version of the RS-27 engine put out 200,000 lbs of thrust, not throttlable. It is also a single-start engine so it can't be relit once it shuts down.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Rocky, the only complaint we had about the Delta in 1970 was that the third stage was not quite precise enough to insert our satellite properly into the circular 22,300 mile orbit. It got close but then we had to use on-board thrust for the final adjustments. If memory serves correctly, the third stage of the Delta was a small solid fuel rocket. Later versions, as you know, used larger and better upper stages. Our orbital insertion thrust was provided by a pressurized gas bottle.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup. Third stage was probably a Star 36 from Thiokol. As you say, performance with a solid can be close to quite close, but not exact.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Lastly, in case anyone else cares...here's the answer to "Why is it blue?"

DELTA BLUE

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 22 invisible), 1,923 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,371
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.