Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
This thread is a hypothetical thread based on some of your experiences and the 375 caliber rifle. If a hunter were to choose one type of bullet to use in the 375 what would it be? Solid copper, Swift A-Frame, or a Nosler Partition? The 375 is the chosen caliber of course.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
TSX or A-Frame backed by Barnes flat nosed banded solids. I "think" I prefer 300 grain bullets. I say "think" because I honestly haven't been able to tell much difference between 270 and 300 weight bullets.

I've only shot about half a dozen buff, so the research continues!

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Swift A-Frame.
[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have only shot two. One with 300 gr TSX and the last one with 300 gr A-frame. If I go again it will be an A-frame.

Do or do not, there is no try.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by McCray
TSX or A-Frame backed by Barnes flat nosed banded solids. I "think" I prefer 300 grain bullets. I say "think" because I honestly haven't been able to tell much difference between 270 and 300 weight bullets.

I've only shot about half a dozen buff, so the research continues!

This ^^^^^^

I have personally never shot one with a .375, but have successfully hunted buff with a .416 Rigby and .470 NE using the same bullets.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Unless you want to use a bullet that sheds weight like dog in spring, forget the Nosler....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jdollar
Unless you want to use a bullet that sheds weight like dog in spring, forget the Nosler....

Those 2 buffs I shot last month in South Africa died. The 1st was about 40 yards quartering to me. Shot was just inside the front shoulder thru the heart and out the off shoulder bullet was not found. That bull was dead on it's feet he went about 30 yards before he piled up. 2nd bull was shot at 75 yards--high shoulder shot. Bullet broke the left front leg, thru the top of the lungs, thru the off shoulder and end up just under the hide. Bullet was recovered. I got it somewhere here. Typical nolser partition result. Front half gone back half intact. Both the PH & trackers didn't understand why the buff didn't pile up. We had to track & finish him. They can go pretty good & far on 3 legs with no lungs to speak of.

My load was 375 Ruger. 81 grains of IMR 4350, Nolser 300 grain partition.& Winchester Mag Primer.

I used the same load on some plains game also. All were 1 shot kills. A female kudu was the largest taken.

Last edited by colorado bob; 09/15/18.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jdollar,

Very interesting. In all my hunting with the 300-grain Partition in the .375 H&H I've recovered two, retaining 87% and 88% of their weight.

Forgot to mention I killed my first big game animals with the 300 Partition 25 years ago....

Last edited by Mule Deer; 09/15/18. Reason: added info

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Colorado bob

Great details, any way you could post a pic of the bullet you recovered on that 2nd bull? Not for nothing but a Cape Buffalo just looks like a monster of a bull.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll look in my stuff again. The skinner gave it to me along with the solid from the PH's 416 Rigby. I put it somewhere in my suitcase so I wouldn't lose it. You've heard of Murphy's Law. I got some good photos of the bulls, if I'm smart enough to get them from my wife's phone to the board.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Swift A-Frame.
[Linked Image]

Ingwe,

Damn fine buff.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't decide which one is the mangiest !! smile

It is a dang nice bull. Bob

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Swift A-Frame.
[Linked Image]

That's a helluva bull in more than just horn size.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All great bullets, so I would say whichever one your rifle likes best. I've used A-Frames with great results, but have since switched to the TSX.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Swift A-Frame.
[Linked Image]

Nice "spike" bull, isn't that what they call them in Montana?
smile

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What caused the change to the solids?

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
What caused the change to the solids?

With today's super premium bullets, there is absolutely no need for solids on buffalo, except for hippo (on dry land), elephant and rhino. Just my very neophyte opinion.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
INGWE,
NICE LOOKING RIFLE.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by crshelton
INGWE,
NICE LOOKING RIFLE.

Thanks! Its a Whitworth Express with a nice 'patina of use'.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I haven't shot a Cape Buf, but I've shot several moose with my 375 H&H Sako in a McMillan stock. I've only used 300 grain Noslers and Barnes. Convinced that the 300 grain due to the performance I've gotten.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot a broadside bull at 35 yards with a 300gr. TSX. The bullet was recovered under the offside hide and the bull died within 75-100 yards.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Woodhits
I shot a broadside bull at 35 yards with a 300gr. TSX. The bullet was recovered under the offside hide and the bull died within 75-100 yards.
[Linked Image]

Wow, it looks like some good weight retention. I've been told cape Buffalo are hard critters to kill.

Oscar Wilde~~
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Noslers consistently shed 25-40% for their weight and then become a solid in the listed caliber The petals are designed to peal back and fall off. . Swift A frame, Winchester fail safe, and Barnes TSX shed essential no weight but continue on with a much wider wound channel and tissue destruction. Take your pick- a .375 three hundred gr Nosler reduced to 200 gr as it progresses or a .375 TSX three hundred gr expanded to .500” for the entire length of the woundchannel. Both equal dead on a perfect shot but all shots( at least mine) aren’t perfect. YMMV....

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
After some digging through my surplus I came across a box of brand new Winchester Fail Safe bullets in 308 caliber for M70 300 win. I wish they still made the fail-safe bullet.

Oscar Wilde~~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jdollar,

Apparently you are totally ignorant of the the fact that larger-caliber, heavier Partitions have the partition moved forward so they'll retain more weight, since they're often used on larger game.

The minimum weight-retention those models are designed for is 75%, IF the front core totally disappears. The models I KNOW are designed that way are the 9.3mm 286, 300 .375, 400 .416 and 500 .458. Of the few of those models I've seen recovered, the average retained weight has been 86.5%, with a maximum of 95.2% from a 400-grain .416 that penetrated a big Botswana buffalo from the rear of the left ribs to the right shoulder. The LEAST I've seen retained by a 300-grain .375 is 263.1 grains, which is 87.7%, or about the same amount retained by Swift A-Frames and Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, and in fact I've seen plenty of Barnes TSX (and similar bullets) that only retained around 90% of their weight, due to petals breaking off--and sometimes much less.

The only one of those big Partitions that lost its "petals" and front core was a 286-grain 9.3mm that hit a big blue wildebeest in the right shoulder joint. The bull went about 20-25 yards, staggering all the way, dropping dead. The bullet was found under the hide behind the rear of the ribs on the left side, probably four feet of penetration, retaining 75% of its weight. All the others, from 9.3mm up, retained the rear core and did NOT shear off their "petals."

Last edited by Mule Deer; 09/17/18.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any of the mentioned bullets will work on buff. Shot placement is WAY more important than bullet selection as long as we are limiting the discussion to PREMIUM bullets so pick the one that your rifle likes and practice like hell.
BTW, the 350gr Woodleighs work too.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
For what is worth I will post the results from my one buff hunt and will add that I am making plans for 2019. I used a 300 TSX above 71gr. of RL 15 for 2470 FPS. 70 yard shot, very close to broadside and the bullet broke both shoulders. The bull made it about 50 yards and went down. One more in the back and the game was over. Used same load on some large and small plains game and all went down at the shot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Woodhits
[Linked Image]

Wow, it looks like some good weight retention. I've been told cape Buffalo are hard critters to kill.

I've got to call BS on myself here: I took another look at this and realized that the photo I posted was of a Nosler E-tip that I shot an elk with last year out of a 33 Nosler. I don't know what I did with the photo of the TSX from my buffalo but, well, it looks about the same as this one.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Noslers consistently shed 25-40% for their weight and then become a solid in the listed caliber The petals are designed to peal back and fall off. . Swift A frame, Winchester fail safe, and Barnes TSX shed essential no weight but continue on with a much wider wound channel and tissue destruction. Take your pick- a .375 three hundred gr Nosler reduced to 200 gr as it progresses or a .375 TSX three hundred gr expanded to .500” for the entire length of the woundchannel. Both equal dead on a perfect shot but all shots( at least mine) aren’t perfect. YMMV....

I totally disagree! Nosler does NOT intend for the petals to "fall off" of the partition bullet. The whole point in the petals peeling back is to open the wound channel and create more internal damage as the bullet travels through the animal. The actual design is intended for the petals to peel back until they make contact with the bullet and that is supposed to keep them from peeling any further, keeping them from breaking off.

Randall

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Randall,

Exactly, and Nosler also controls how much the jacket around the front core peels back by its thickness and taper--which also contributes to the high weight retention of large-caliber, heavy Partitions as I described in my previous post.

It always amazes me how many hunters think they can extrapolate how ALL bullets of a certain brand and name work from the results of SOME bullets of that brand and design. Every bullet company I know of tweaks the basic design depending on caliber, weight, intended use, etc.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

That bullet looks as if it expanded perfectly. But we do sacrifice powder capacity with solids?

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I like your post, well-stated MD.

Oscar Wilde~~
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My first, second and third choice would be a 300 or a 270gr monometal. Whatever shot the best. Then I would go forth and shoot hundreds of practice rounds from 25 to 300 yards.

I used 300gr TSX's in my 375, and 400gr TSX's in my 404 last June. Used the 404 on the buffalo.

PH told me to use 300gr/375 or 400gr/404. TSX or A-Frame, whichever shot the best. He preferred the 404 over 375 for buffalo.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This one took five 500 grain bullets from a 458 Lott before he gave up. The adrenalin was pumping as I had just put two in his buddy and this one went to help his compadre. After two good hits, he decided to take the fight to me. The fourth hit finally put him down and the fifth shot was an insurance shot to the spine.

In most instances, one good hit is enough but, not always. T.S.

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by TexasShooter
This one took five 500 grain bullets from a 458 Lott before he gave up. The adrenalin was pumping as I had just put two in his buddy and this one went to help his compadre. After two good hits, he decided to take the fight to me. The fourth hit finally put him down and the fifth shot was an insurance shot to the spine.

[Linked Image]

I've come to the conclusion, that is a very nice looking Buffalo. 5 rounds from a 458 Lott, that sounds exciting.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TexasShooter

[Linked Image]

I've come to the conclusion, that is a very nice looking Buffalo. 5 rounds from a 458 Lott, that sounds exciting.

It was certainly the highlight of that trip. LOL I just stood there and started slinging lead. The Tanzanian game scout was nearby and running backwards firing his SKS from the hip. When I think about it I still laugh. :-) . Upon skinning, there were no 30 caliber holes in the buff and the animal's heart was completely destroyed. His horns measured 42 inches - a good cape buffalo. He is now in the entrance hall of our Houston home sharing space with a 57 inch greater kudu. I relive the hunts almost daily as I look up at them.

T.S..

Last edited by TexasShooter; 09/19/18.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good reading for a flatland Southern redneck. Never had the pleasure of a buff hunt and outside God's grace never will. But exciting just reading about it. And to show just how small my world is, I didn't even know Partitions had petals. lol

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[quote=shootem]Good reading for a flatland Southern redneck.

Yeah, they have great stories on this forum. Loving the Campfire!
+!

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Masailand buffalo that fell to a 416 Rigby with a 400gr Woodleigh solid through the heart. He went 200 yards and tipped over with the customary death bellow.

[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh boy, thats a beauty!

Do or do not, there is no try.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You fellows are posting up some outstanding buffalo photos . Man, great stuff!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by shootem
Good reading for a flatland Southern redneck. Never had the pleasure of a buff hunt and outside God's grace never will. But exciting just reading about it. And to show just how small my world is, I didn't even know Partitions had petals. lol

yep : I will second this post from a redneck from northern Minnesota ,unless I start > a go fund me to a Africa for a buffalo hunt I won`t be going either ! great posts of pictures and post reads too. thank you all,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Incredible! The head on that beast is gigantic. Are the Masailand buffs bigger than normal? If there is such a thing as normal.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are as a rule bigger, yes.

There were bigger ones, but this guy had a scarred up rump from a lion attack, chewed ears, busted up bosses and deep curls.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To think I was going to give up a buffalo hunt next year to parlay some other hunts. (Wife thinks I spend too way much money on guns and hunting -- I'm too old to get another one.) Now, after seeing these pictures and testimonies I got ta go for buffalo. I thought I had to have a 416. Now I'm second guesssing. I've only been to Cameroon and that was only once: elephant, croc and hippo's were the only big game around. But mostly just different forms of snakes and monkeys.

Do you rely on the PH to supply a rifle if your's went south or ammo went missing or whatever?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Bugger
To think I was going to give up a buffalo hunt next year to parlay some other hunts. (Wife thinks I spend too way much money on guns and hunting -- I'm too old to get another one.) Now, after seeing these pictures and testimonies I got ta go for buffalo. I thought I had to have a 416. Now I'm second guesssing. I've only been to Cameroon and that was only once: elephant, croc and hippo's were the only big game around. But mostly just different forms of snakes and monkeys.

Do you rely on the PH to supply a rifle if your's went south or ammo went missing or whatever?

??? Good question. I would hate to arrive without my gear.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My PH had a backup rifle. I never had with my Ruger. Do the buff hunt. It's the best. Bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My two proven DG rifles look pretty ordinary, but they have been very effective in the field:
1895 .405 WCF:
[Linked Image]

1886 45-90 :
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
450 grain Kodiak at 2150 fps knocked down ele- finished it off with NF and Punch. Also took three buff (450 Kodiak) and one leopard (Nosler PP) with one shot kills.
[Linked Image]
Bullets and bullet placement are the key.

Last edited by crshelton; 10/04/18. Reason: add pix.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
... Barnes TSX shed essential no weight but continue on with a much wider wound channel and tissue destruction. ....

FYI, I used to think the same thing about the TTSX. The .338 caliber one on the left below went through over three feet of moose bone, muscle, etc … on an angled shot before stopping under the hide on the far side. Impact velocity was about 3,050 fps. It now weighs in at 194 grains. It did everything I could ask of it, but it did shed about 14% of its weight doing all that it did. It's sitting next to my son's formerly-95-gr .243 SST that we recovered from his deer last Saturday for scale.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Here's one of mine 300 grain partition, I like them.

[Linked Image]

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A nice lump of lead.

Oscar Wilde~~
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Bugger

I have always brought my own rifle. The quality of loaner/rental rifles and ammunition available from the PH vary. My suggestion is to determine far in advance what rifle and ammunition the PH has available for clients, including pics and govern yourself accordingly.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
jdollar is right about Partitions. They kill VERY GOOD on thin skinned game. Moose,Deer,Bear,Cats ect. I used a 140 grain partition in a 6.5 Win Mag to harvest a Leopard. I personally would not use them on Buff. The Mono's or A-Frames are a much better choice!!! A few years back I shot an Elk in Montana with a 7mm rem mag. using a 160gr. Partition. The Elk was quartered away at about 100 yards. It had the most blood shot shoulder I have ever seen. That's when I quit using them.

Last edited by Slider1; 11/03/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From my limited experience.

TSX .375 300
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, Bigd7378, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,373 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,254
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.