Hop To
Page 2 of 40 1 2 3 4 39 40
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by stxhunter
why in the hell would he throw the damn gun instead of using it.... dumb ass.

Also, what did Uptain do with the pistol that Chubain tossed to him? Story doesn't make sense to me. Something's missing.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S
tossed him the pistol wtf...

"Here's my gun bro, I'm out of here !"...and runs off for help ?...very strange way to deal with imminent danger

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Or you can be like Todd Orr and get attacked twice and still endorse bear spray...

During a recent interview with TIME, Orr described how he first spotted the grizzly bear and her cubs while he was hiking through Madison Valley to scout for elk. The next thing he knew, she was charging full speed at him, he said. He used his bear spray, which generally deters aggressive bears, but the grizzly jumped on top of him, biting his head and arms before walking back into the woods.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let's face it. A lot of people carry guns for defense, but not all have the stones to use them. I'm sure this poor guys' self preservation mechanism kicked in and he high tailed it out of there. I pray for the guide, but fear that the worst may have happened.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Also, what did Uptain do with the pistol that Chubain tossed to him? Story doesn't make sense to me. Something's missing.

more than likely he was getting killed and didn't even notice the pistol. if you've ever had to fight a animal attacking you, you'd understand. your focus is on that animal not something being tossed to you.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Another case of Bow hunting elk that didn't go right.
A elk shot yesterday still full of guts the next afternoon, giving bears a day to find a dead critter...

Just because somethiing is legal dosen't always mean it is a good idea..

Hope the guide is found Ok but I doubt it. Sad situation.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've seen the damage a grizzly can do to the human body (Glacier National Park - 1960) and it can be horrendous.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Lousy scene, and since I was not there I shall not make judgement on the hunter.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Damn. Couldn't even get a shot off.

IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

more than likely he was getting killed and didn't even notice the pistol. if you've ever had to fight a animal attacking you, you'd understand. your focus is on that animal not something being tossed to you.

Probably that's the case.

I was about to smirk at Chubain for keeping the pistol in his pack, not on his person, when I remembered the first caribou I shot. I carried the bloody antlers about two miles back to camp with my rifle slung over my shoulder, unloaded, and the ammo IN MY BACK PACK. We had seen six grizzlies from that camp.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by djs
I've seen the damage a grizzly can do to the human body (Glacier National Park - 1960) and it can be horrendous.

Sometimes to the point of being fatal, too.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Damn.

I use to tell my pard in Alaska, 'Don't worry about hitting me with a bullet if a bear is eating me. I'll be more pissed if you let me be eaten.'

Exactly.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Idiot.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Regarding that People for the West mention above, I worked for them in the late 1990s and the organization folded (lack of money) in 2001 or 2002. But yes, there is the Wildlands Project, Yellowstone to Yukon and all those are directed at "rewilding" huge areas in not just western America (includes Canada). If you hear someone talking about "conservation biology" and "migration corridors" and "keystone species," that's all part of the theory.
In practical terms, there's also the idea that wildlife populations should be controlled by the top non-human predators, such as grizzlies and wolves so the ecosystem runs without human interference, that's "deep ecology."
While this worldview is not held by many, the fact is, those who DO support this stuff, really support it. If having bears means no hunters, that's okay with them. If having wolves means no ranching, or no hunting, again, okey dokey. And there's so much passion, it results in MONEY and LAWSUITS and POLITICS to the point where the resource sectors and consumptive uses are being singled out and wrecked one by one.
THink how this mauling helps the cause.....that little jolt of fear before booking the trip. The frustration over having tags and then being screwed over by some judge after booking a big money trip. What about next time, will you apply, or do something else?
That bears and other predators are dangerous to human activity, for most of the wildlands acolytes, that's a GOOD thing.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
DS as I recall People for the West was opposed to the Wildlands Project. It is not my intent to hijack this thread, I was only trying to point out how these type incidents play into the agenda of rewilding. Lately there have been several stories about four legged cougars interacting with people, grizzly attacks, etc. As laws are passed protecting apex predators there is more human/predator interaction.

These things rarely end well for the human. Easy to second guess but not being there it is hard to really know. Hope it turns out well for everyone except the bear.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Guide's been found. Dead.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i send these articles out to my grandsons, to combat that walt disney great circle of life stuff, about apex predators.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/15/18.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bbassi
Guide's been found. Dead.

Damn.

Frankly I would have been surprised if he'd been found alive after that.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 40 1 2 3 4 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,129
Posts18,464,657
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.