Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Last night I was checking out a new park that Saint Charles is putting in at the confluence of Dardenne Creek and the Missouri River. Met a young guy who was setting up his fly rod so I engaged him in conversation. He was fishing for carp! Evidently it's sort of catching on. He also mentioned that there was a pretty good population of white bass and freshwater drum in that area.

As if I needed another hobby! They like white fluffy jigs evidently. His web site is Riverkingfishing.com so I visited it last night. It's sparse, but he's just starting and it looks like I'm living in decent fly fishing country.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a bug that bites hard. Got bit 37 years ago, they will pry my fly rod from my cold dead hands. Carp are a lot of fun caught a few back about 15 years ago and they a small freight train. Bass, white bass, wipers, and catfish are also a lot of fun, sort of becomes a challenge to see how many different types of fish you can catch on a fly rod. Don't forget pan fish such as bluegills especially on poppers. It's even more fun to tie your own flies.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Prwlr, oh I've fly fished for years. Just never carp or white bass. Mostly pan fish and large mouth. My kids bought me a custom 5 weight rod three years ago and I fly fish out of the kayak all the time. By a new hobby, I was talking about river fishing for carp and such.

Thanks for the reply.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I live near a tributary of the Susquehanna. It has a real mix of fish; smallmouth, walleye, tiger muskies, panfish and lots of big carp. As you travel upstream to the tributaries of the tributary, the water cools some and eventually you get to trout water. As temps rise in the summer, the carp will move upstream and eventually you will sometimes find them in the same areas as trout.

One summer morning I went to my favorite stretch of trout water on this stream with the idea of catching a big brown. I like to fish streamers early in the morning and used to land nice browns pretty regularly. Two other gentleman had arrived at the same stretch of water and were fishing the hole upstream of me. I was fishing a Grey Ghost streamer. My method is to cast slightly upstream, mend once or twice to give the fly time to sink near the bottom then strip retrieve. When I got to the part of the hole where I expected a good trout to lie, I felt resistance on one of my first strips. At first I thought I had snagged the bottom, because my line wasn't moving but soon it came alive and I thought I had hooked the brown of a lifetime. After a few minutes, I figured that it wasn't a brown, it just didn't fight the same way. Carp like to stay in one spot if they can and resist being moved but then when they do they'll take a bunch of line all at once. Eventually I got a look at the fish and for sure it was a big river carp that had come up from the larger river. It gave me a long battle on my five weight and the guys upstream from me took notice and followed the action.

After a while, I landed the fish and decided to keep it. At the time, my wife was working with a Chinese guy who told me he loves eating them, so the fish was for him. I had to walk out next to the guys above me so I grabbed the carp by the tail and started carrying it out. The guys upstream had stopped fishing because they thought I had landed a true monster of a brown and were excited to see it. I got pretty close before they realized they had been fooled. I was a five minute fishing hero!

In all, I have landed three big carp on my old 5 wt. Each time I wondered if I would break the rod. Each was an incidental catch, the other times while targeting smallmouth also using streamers. A year ago I bought a 7wt and now use it for my smallmouth and carp fishing. We have had so much high water this year that the river has only been fishable for about 2 weeks. I have a couple of white wooly buggers in my fly box. Eventually the conditions will be right, and I'll see some carp working the bottom. I'll see if they will take a white bugger. It might be hard to catch one while actually targeting them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (02bfishn, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 16penny, 65 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,460
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.