Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The one time I went waterfowl hunting was an exercise in cold wet weather tolerance. Never saw a bird.

I am going to Oregon in September to waterfowl hunt. I have no idea what kind of gear to take.
I know so little about what I am getting into, that I don't even have an intelligent question to ask.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thank you

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Basics: license (I assume non-res?), state and Federal stamps, signed in ink across the face of the stamp. shotgun plugged to 3 shot total capacity (1 in chamber plus 2 in mag), know the regs on dates, shooting times, and bag limits. Go with someone who knows more than you do. don't mess with a call. decoys only if the other guys are not bringing any. warm dry clothing faceblack or camo paint, hot coffee if you are a drinkin' man
enjoy! (don't shoot until you can see their feet) and learn this ditty, from the east coast of the US "As long as they're coming, let them come in... shoot where they're going, not where they've been!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As not much more than a rookie I found this handy. Ducks at a Distance

Waterfowl will flare if they spot sun flashing off of your skin (at least if you're a white guy) Don't forget the back of your neck, ears and backs of your hands. And a hat to keep your face in shadow.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Both of you answered some questions. Thank you.

It is supposed to be a guided trip, but I have had very little help from them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would suggest a check of the local laws where you will be hunting, specifically on what guns and ammo are legal, and the legal do's and don'ts. (Here, no lead shot is allowed anymore for water fowl).

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What sort of situation will you be hunting? Sea ducks? Big water? Field hunts? Creeks? Springs? Lot depends on those circumstances.

2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I believe that I will be in a coffin blind. It is on the coast, or at least close.

I really don't know what I have gotten myself into. I am sure it will be a good time, but presently I am stressed about what to take.
I have a decent shotgun. Thinking modified choke. Good boots. Camo (waterfowl type) waterproof bibs and jacket. Gloves and turkey hunting face mask.

Ammo will be provided so I don't have to fly with it.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Modified choke should be great, that’s what I keep in my duck gun. If you’re in a coffin blind I’d assume it’s field hunting, as long as it’s not raining I’d focus my clothing more towards being warm than being dry (but both is even better!) and because it’s guided I’d assume they’re also providing decoys. Sounds to me like you mostly just need clothes and a gun! Maybe some sort of cooler if you plan on bringing meat back? I’m not sure how that works if you’re going through an outfitter

2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank all of you guys for giving me solid, non-belittling answers.
Great information and advice.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
2sticks,

WORRY NOT. = We all started out as "rank beginners", no matter when & at what age that we started.

One hint: 100% WOOL garments are warmer (even when wet) than most any of the "modern alternatives". = Being both wet/cold is a MISERABLE way to hunt.
(Trust me, I learned that lesson the hard/cold/sopping wet way.)

ADDENDA: SEVERAL thinner layers of WOOL are better than one/two, so that you can add or subtract layers during the day/night.
(Btw, I wear 100% SILK underclothes for Winter hunting, with layers of thin wool over the silk.)

BEST WISHES on your first duck hunt.

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 08/22/18. Reason: addenda

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2sticks, I have apprenticed hunters twice so far. I believe it is part of the responsibilities of a hunter to pass on knowledge, and teach how and what to look for. When someone shows an interest, and a willingness to learn, it would seem criminal to refuse. Best of luck with your hunt.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
kellory,

ImVho, every dedicated hunter should help "new folks", when they are trying to get started.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by satx78247
kellory,

ImVho, every dedicated hunter should help "new folks", when they are trying to get started.

yours, tex

And yet, we hear a lot of griping about no place to hunt, someone took my deer, and what idiots everyone else is. I like when hunters step up and help others.
My respects, sir.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless there is an early teal season or local goose hunt I don't think there is a regular waterfowl season in Sept. If there is a hunt then the weather will be pretty mild with temps on the coast in the 60's and inland 60's to 100 in Sept. with little chance of rain in either place as the rains on the coast don't usually start until late Oct. Check to make sure you are on a legal hunt or on a private land with flighted domestic birds.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The hunt was a fantastic goose hunt. Plenty of action. And a great bunch of guys. I way over thought it. No problems at all.
Thank you guys for your input.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
glad to hear. did you get Canada geese?

2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes, I am positive that I got a couple Canada geese. Then I got to fish for salmon for two days. I landed one the first day. Second day the fish broke off at the boat. Loads of fun. I have been trying to respond to the thread for a couple of days, but an Amazon pop up kept blocking me.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 3,158 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,063
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.