-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The wife has a Husqvarna 455 (55.5 cc) that I've used a few times and it is a nice enough saw, but honestly I like my older Husky 257 (57 cc) a little better. No primer ball on that 257 and 13,000 rpm instead of 9,000 with more intuitive controls. Hanco has it right with that new chain for serious cutting. I like the most aggressive 3/8 pitch Stihl chain that I can find to go on the Husqvarna saws. It is no safety chain, so be careful of a kick back, but does it ever cut. For just limbing I bought the little Stihl MS 150 C last year and it is so light weight you can limb all day and not get tired of holding it even with one hand. The city crews and my tree trimming buddy all use Stihl saws and you sure can't go wrong with those either. Having two saws beats one though most guys could get by pretty well with just that mid 50 cc size.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by logcutter
[quote=Snake River Marksman]Bought a husky 455 rancher. It just chews right through dry pine. Only used it for maybe 30 minutes; but I'm already liking it a lot

The Husky was my go to saw for making a living cutting logs,but the Sthil is bullet proof and does a great job for the just occasional user..The Sthil was the go to saw for logging landings and people who really had no clue how to use one right.Not as temperamental as some other high rev saws.

My now, for cutting a bunch of firewood yearly to sell and use, Sthil 046 eats wood like no other (laughing).

Husky make some great source no doubt about it. I have an 025 ms362 ms461 046 Magnum and a West German 038 Magnum ll . Hands down my favorite saw, best cutting saw is my 046, And that’s what is over 20 years old, my 038 I bought an 85, still runs like a raped ape :-)just got back my ms461, Had a west coast muscle build on it, Decked and ported and a long list of other things :-) haven’t run it yet, getting her in the wood tomorrow I’m hoping it’s going to be my new best cutting saw :-)

OP, That’s a good saw Take care of it and it will serve you well.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
When I was in NE PA, the local power equipment dealer sold and serviced Johnsenred and Huskie. They ran and cut fine. Here, my local power equipment dealer sells and services Stihl. They run and cut fine. Have seen professional cutters with both. As noted above, a new saw loop and a straight, square bar go a long way...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Grandpa said hogs were a mortgage lifter in his era, in my era Stihl is.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
laugh

Originally Posted by fredIII
[Linked Image]😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B2

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by roundoak
[Linked Image]

That does not look like fir!

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Originally Posted by Toddly
Sorry, I’d take a stihl over a husky every day of the week. H

I will take any pro saw over a homeowner model any day of the week.

I agree. I am laughing at the posts on this one. I will keep my Dolmar and laugh at those arguing over the Stihl vs Husky guys.

If my old 372xp were to die, it's replacement would be a 7910 Dolmar.

Husky
Stihl
Dolmar

And a couple names many of the Stihl fan boys have never heard,
They are good equipment.

But Stihl has become like John Deere or Cat. Status brands.
Nothing wrong with the machine, fine stuff, really.

It's the fanboys who put their self worth in owning the "cool" stuff. Their overall lack of knowledge becomes obvious.

And yes, I have run Stihl, Husky, Jonsered, Shindiawa, McCullough, Homelite...
Mostly pro-saws.
Times change, technology changes.
The modern companies have struggled with strato-engines, and electronics. All of them.
They all make good stuff, and I am wary of anyone's new models until proven.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
It isn’t so much the new saw as it is the new chain. When I have a lot of cutting to do, I buy a new chain. I have about 20 chains, I take them to the hardware store to be sharpened. They charge 3 bucks. They do a good job, but it will never be as good as when they were new. Just my opinion.

I wish we were neighbors, and used a common chain.
I would buy your couple times sharpened chains. Preferably dull

I touch up new chains before they get run, and used chain works better.
It's lighter, stretched, and gets more aggressive.
Check out the chain competitive cutters use. It's not brand new!

If your chains don't cut as they age, are your depth gauges too high?
Good chance.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 09/15/18.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
When I was logging,majority of timber cutters used Husky's ,and on the landing (yarders), the majority of landing saws were Stihl's.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Windfall
The wife has a Husqvarna 455 (55.5 cc) that I've used a few times and it is a nice enough saw, but honestly I like my older Husky 257 (57 cc) a little better. No primer ball on that 257 and 13,000 rpm instead of 9,000 with more intuitive controls. Hanco has it right with that new chain for serious cutting. I like the most aggressive 3/8 pitch Stihl chain that I can find to go on the Husqvarna saws. It is no safety chain, so be careful of a kick back, but does it ever cut. For just limbing I bought the little Stihl MS 150 C last year and it is so light weight you can limb all day and not get tired of holding it even with one hand. The city crews and my tree trimming buddy all use Stihl saws and you sure can't go wrong with those either. Having two saws beats one though most guys could get by pretty well with just that mid 50 cc size.

My backup saw is a 257 with 24" bar. It was good in its day. Still works ok, I use it for flush cutting stumps. The 460 is noticeably more powerful. And starts easier.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"If your chains don't cut as they age, are your depth gauges too high?
Good chance."

Bingo, dilllonbuck. "Earth to chainsaw guy. File down your depth gauges. Do you read me? Come in, chain saw guy.... "

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dillonbuck, I’ve got a PS-7900 Dolmar w/full wrap bars. It’s a beast.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
"If your chains don't cut as they age, are your depth gauges too high?
Good chance."

Bingo, dilllonbuck. "Earth to chainsaw guy. File down your depth gauges. Do you read me? Come in, chain saw guy.... "

Pferd Chainsharp

http://www.pferdusa.com/products/201b/201b01/index.html

I’ve got the original style in three sizes, but the newer CS-X looks like it be worth a try.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by kingston
Dillonbuck, I’ve got a PS-7900 Dolmar w/full wrap bars. It’s a beast.

My buddy has a PS – 35 and a PS – 6100, 6100 is a fantastic saw definitely has a pair of balls, 7900 must be a beast. Makita bought out dolmar, they really didn’t change a thing good solid company.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know about the 7910 I mentioned, I hope they didn't screw up the magic of the 7900.

The 7900 was one of the lightest 80cc saws.
And it ran at the speed of the smaller saws.
That's a nice combination.

The 460 Still was a great saw.
And it better out cut a 257 Husky.

Something about the 460's 80+cc's VS the 257's 50cc's.
It's not even a comparison.

But, I would bet that if they are both tuned, sharp, and in good condition.
The 257 will match the 460, cut for cut` in limbing or cutting 8-10" firewood.
It's much faster, and small stuff shouldn't drag it down much.

These two were very good saws from two good companies. But they serve different purposes.
And they compliment each other well. You are set up to have nice equipment for most any cutting job short of real big stuff.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Many people are not aware that the EPA started regulating chainsaws about 2000 with stages of more stringent emissions. Stratified charge, lean burn, restrictive and/or catalytic mufflers, locked carb jet screws,etc,etc.. IMO the best bet is to look for a lightly used pre-EPA pro saw or a professionally rebuilt pre-EPA saw from a good saw shop. Look at the serial number tag, if it states a year of 2000 or later it has emission control features. Older saws have a serial number with no year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not brand loyal I have a 575XP and a MS391 they are both good saws IMO.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have both Stihl and Husky, both are good. Sounds like a Ford versus Chevy argument

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have Stihl equipment for a couple of reasons. Every Stihl I have starts easy and runs like it is supposed to. And every town of more than 1000 people in this area has a Stihl servicing dealer. The best 2 saws I had run before I bought one was Stihl or Husky but there isn't the dealer support here for Husky.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I use both an older Husky 266 thats been hot-rodded, and a newer Stihl 441 Magnum. I would say they are equal. Have had the Husky for 40 plus years!
[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 64 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,531
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.