Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
......somebody rather, uh, forcefully mentioned....

It's the optics forum, is there any other way to mention anything here?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SKane
Gee, a few posts back somebody rather, uh, forcefully mentioned that NF doesn't listen to potential customers about what they want....

Right???!!!!!! laugh

Don't know where that accusation came from, not from facts.

Seems NF is about the most responsive of just about any scope manufacturer or importer.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From what I see, NF is one of the few that do listen and consider what customers want.

Although, what customers want, could really have a company heading down a slippery slope if not carefully thought through.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Gee, a few posts back somebody rather, uh, forcefully mentioned that NF doesn't listen to potential customers about what they want....

Right???!!!!!! laugh

Don't know where that accusation came from, not from facts.

Seems NF is about the most responsive of just about any scope manufacturer or importer.

DF

DF,
It's called confidence in ignorance..LOL:

Originally Posted by jimmyp

NF is arrogant and knows what you need and do not need. They make an outstanding product but have their heads up their ass in other ways. In addition they piss me off in that they will not sell the 1-8 with capped elevation and windage to ordinary mortals, its too good for us and can only be sold to LEO's and mil. Why do I need to dial a damn 8 power scope with no side focus parallax correction???

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You're all wrong....the fact of the matter is that SAS spoke it and immediately it happened! 'dat's PULL right there!

IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The real revelation to me is the Whitaker’s carries Nightforce!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by Sako76
Nightforce makes the SHV 3-10 with illumination (German #4 I think), it is not available in the North American market! Why isn't it? Beats the fugg out of me!

NF is arrogant and knows what you need and do not need. They make an outstanding product but have their heads up their ass in other ways. In addition they piss me off in that they will not sell the 1-8 with capped elevation and windage to ordinary mortals, its too good for us and can only be sold to LEO's and mil. Why do I need to dial a damn 8 power scope with no side focus parallax correction???

Perhaps they're selling all they make to the intended market, leaving none for you, similar to the situation with ACOGs at one point.

Just a thought.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
The 3-10 is coming with an illuminated duplex. I’ve already ordered them.

Does it weight even more then?

Any other new options you can share?

Nothing big. I’ll probably get in trouble with them for even mentioning this!

I think you're safe now laugh :

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/shv/3-10x42

Out of the closet...He's safe...

So, it's either parallax or illumination.

I got parallax, but would probably go with illumination over parallax with a 10X scope. I think it would be more useful.

DF

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Maybe I need to try illumination. The idea of an illuminated reticle, batteries, having to turn on, extra weight, etc. has been a turn off to me. Seems like an overly complex solution to the problem of low light shooting. Willing to try though. Maybe...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by prm
Maybe I need to try illumination. The idea of an illuminated reticle, batteries, having to turn on, extra weight, etc. has been a turn off to me. Seems like an overly complex solution to the problem of low light shooting. Willing to try though. Maybe...

If they trade the parallax mechanism for illumination, may not be heavier.

I'd check on electronic parts warranty..

Leupold's lifetime warranty, IIRC, is 2 years on electronics. Not sure about NF.

DF

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by skeen

I wasn't speaking strictly in terms of "glass." I already mentioned some of the other features. Durability is over hyped too. The pendulum has swung far the other way where posters speak strictly in terms of durability. .

Other than the scopes I wrote above, as well as S&B’s, Hensoldt, Kaps, etc., scopes are almost always the single point of failure in rifles.

In the last two hunting seasons of regular week long backpack hunts, two people have brought scopes that were not a SWFA, NF, or Bushnell Elite Tactical. The only problems we had was with those two scopes- one lost zero and had a first round miss at 160’ish yards, but was able to get a second round hit. The other was a rodeo with a complete erector system failure sometime between working fine at the range and four or five days later on a mule deer. It’s first shot was just over the back at 280’ish yards, second was off nearly two feet with a hit in the hip, third was a foot low but good left and right. Deer ran into a tight draw. A bit later the deer jumped out on the other side. Another miss high at a hundred and something yards, the next perfect, the next a miss- finally the deer went down. At the range the scope had point of impact shifts of 8-10 MOA or more between shots.

You think that guy believes that “durability is over hyped”?

The only rifle system failures I’ve seen on hunts in the last decade have been triggers failing (Remington 700’s) and scope failures with about 50-75% of the regular scopes having issues.

Maybe I’m weird but I try to learn from my, and others failures. Why would someone have to have thier Swarovski fail on a hunt to get a lesson when they can talk to 10 guys that actually hunt and shoot, and 3-4 of them have had problems?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by prm

Leupold's lifetime warranty, IIRC, is 2 years on electronics. Not sure about NF.

DF

[quote=skeen]

You guys really are pole vaulting over mouse turds.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Looks like the price did change with illumination, $955 at Eurooptic.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would like to know the reasoning behind the "no 4A in North America" policy.

I prefer it to all the other reticles and would be willing to special order one. Why even make one if it isn't available here?

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
[quote=prm]Maybe I need to try illumination. The idea of an illuminated reticle, batteries, having to turn on, extra weight, etc. has been a turn off to me. Seems like an overly complex solution to the problem of low light shooting. Willing to try though. Maybe...

DF

Electronic warranty isn't a big deal until the light goes out.

Then, who knows.

I don't see weight being an issue in an already heavy NF scope.

DF

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
[quote=prm]Maybe I need to try illumination. The idea of an illuminated reticle, batteries, having to turn on, extra weight, etc. has been a turn off to me. Seems like an overly complex solution to the problem of low light shooting. Willing to try though. Maybe...

DF

Nah, just picking fly [bleep] out of pepper.

Illuminated reticles are one solution to low light aiming, and as I said, it's one I'm willing to try and warm up to. Good glass, which the SHV has, and a good reticle are another solution. As for being picky about the SHV, for me it's only because it is so close to being perfect FOR ME. I'm not mentioning tweaks to other brands I've tried lately because they are too significant to bother. I've thought a lot about where I hunt, the conditions, the ranges, the types of shots I may take, etc. I know exactly what I want, and why. The 3-10 SHV is oh so close. Two things I feel would make the SHV a better pointing device: One: FOR ME, the outer bars of the Forceplex need to be a bit thicker for my 51yo eyes. It helps them stand out when pointing in dark timber with lots of branches at first/last light, overcast, and a canopy. A very specific circumstance, yes, but one I have actually experienced the SHV limited as a pointing device. Illumination would also address that. Two: a little more refined windage reference. The Forceplex has the 2.5MOA, I'd like something close to a 2, 4 and 6 MOA indicator. A small reticle change to the Forceplex and all my wants are addressed, in a simple, relatively low cost manner. They could even ditch the parallax on the 3-10 if it would save weight and cost. More better. Looking at the updated options, maybe the illuminated MOAR is the ticket, though I know I'll never need 20 MOA of windage for a hunting shot. For laughs I played in JBM to see what conditions warranted 20 MOA of windage. For my rifle, it's a 950yd shot at sea level with a 30MPH crosswind component. At 10k' hunting elk and mulies we're talking indirect fire I'd be shooting so far. I think my short range threading a shot through dark timber use case is more realistic.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by prm

DF

laugh laugh laugh

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by prm

DF

laugh laugh laugh

Now, that's a word picture that's hard to erase... grin

He has a way with words... cool

DF

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

LOL, this is the Olympic Training Center for mouse turd pole vaulting.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The Eliminations......

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,757 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,619
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.