Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 24 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 23 24
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Now comes the Creedmoor. Pair it with these advances in rifle construction, and you have a winner. The barrel twist, throat, magazine length and the cartridge have come together to create that magic. We also have a lot more powder and bullet choices.

There is is in a nutshell.

I wish I had one of those CMs and a 30-06 instead of all the others I have in my safe. I'd save a lot of money and life would be a lot simpler.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I finally broke down and bought a 6.5 Creedmoor, it is a 257 Roberts...

[Linked Image]

Nice rifle. Can you seat out to the lands with that short action?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd like to thank Lu Yeng, hunter of yaks, and husband of an ugly wife. Yeng reminded me that eating yak is healthier than eating a Big Mac. But I believe eating uranium is healthier than eating a Big Mac.

In the meantime...

If Creedmoors Were Gold

If Rugers were silver,
And Creedmoors were gold,
I'd have much more deer meat,
Than my cellar could hold.

But Rugers aren't silver,
Nor Creedmoors pure gold,
So I'll stick with my lever
That's one hundred years old.

The Creedmoors are shiny,
And their sales are quite strong.
Just like the Short Magnums,
That have since come and gone.

But the shine will wear off,
And the fad will soon pass,
Replaced by the next thing,
Made of matte steel and brass.

And while I am waiting,
For the next craze to show,
I'll hoist my old lever,
And off hunting I'll go.

- Stephen Redgwell, 2018

that's awsome, thanks

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have an old sportered Swede 38 and a Striker with a 260 barrel. I must have the slowest Swede on the fire. I still love it though and will be the last to go. 140gr SSTs run 2450 max. It has good accuracy and will do in the whitetail timber. With Nosler brass it flattens primers a bit. With Rem brass looks like new primers with a dent in them. My Striker maxes out about 2500 with the same SSTs. Good accuracy. Good to me is right at an inch at 100.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I finally broke down and bought a 6.5 Creedmoor, it is a 257 Roberts...

[Linked Image]

Nice rifle. Can you seat out to the lands with that short action?

My 6.5 CM is also a .257 Roberts although my old Ruger Model 77 tang safety is not nearly as purty as yours! Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jeepers, some of you guys are a hoot. It wasn't too long ago that people were poopooing plastic stocks, magazines, and the pillar bedding performed on stocks made from recycled milk jugs. laugh Ruger, Savage, etc. are pumping out less expensive rifles that shoot better than custom jobs of 20+ years ago. laugh

Steve,

Apparently you don't realize that many discriminating Campfire members can tell how accurately (or inaccurately) a rifle will shoot by it's price or looks, or even just by how it feels--if they condescend to touch the thing.

I noticed that. laugh

A lot of people here can remember when rifle stocks were almost exclusively made of wood. Even the so called "budget rifles" had walnut stocks. But something happened. More stocks were made with birch or beech or something, and people complained. The stocks weren't as well finished. Gone were the rich, darker tones of quality walnut. And some people said that these cheaply stocked rifles weren't as tight shooting as their more upscale counterparts. crazy

In 1983, I got a Rem 788 in 222 Remington that shot .5 inch groups with 4198 and Rem bulk bullets. It also had a cheap hardwood stock. That was in the daze before 788s became magical. Few people wanted them, at least, around here. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why half inch groups were possible from a cheaply stocked rifle.

My point is that companies have always tried to reduce costs by changing stocks, not offering iron sights, changing metal for stampings of even polymers. From my perspective, none of these changes has made any firearm less accurate. No company can afford to build a rifle that doesn't shoot. Their reputation is on the line. The method of assembly and materials must come together to create a firearm that is as accurate or better than the previous generation.

These advances sometimes come with the odd hiccup. The biggest hiccup however, is the consumer. He fights, kicking and screaming, railing against polymer magazines or cheap metal stampings. But the consumer rarely knows what he wants.

From the armourer's perspective, I have often wondered why all the rifle companies didn't use a form of Savage's screw on barrel or their plastic, pillar bedded stocks. For maintenance and cost reduction, this was the bee's knees. The bonus was, they shot well. But humans being what they are, the resistance was strong. They were ugly, would 'probably' break, and there was the big one, Savages never won shooting competitions. Of course, that nonsense has since been dispelled.

If looks are your thing, there are lots of aftermarket accessories to dress them up. And Savage did get rid of the old barrel nut to smooth out the lines.

Remington helped Savage out immensely. Remington was lost in the wilderness for years, trying to come up with a econo-rifle, but never getting the formula right. Winchester decided to change their rifle line as well and they got expensive. Ruger figured it out though. And for the US at least, more Euro-rifles hit your shores. You got more choices and the quality has improved, as much as many of you will disagree. The fact is, rifles and cartridges are better today than they were even ten years ago.

Now comes the Creedmoor. Pair it with these advances in rifle construction, and you have a winner. The barrel twist, throat, magazine length and the cartridge have come together to create that magic. We also have a lot more powder and bullet choices.

The only thing I would say is that with the Creedmoor cartridge and rifles, we have witnessed one of the few times that everyone did their part correctly and the end result came together perfectly.

You can do this with virtually any rifle cartridge now, but you will have to pay someone to change the barrel, change the throat or trigger. You can get the same performance as the Creedmoor, but at a price. Or you can simply go out and buy a rifle chamber in the 6.5 Creedmoor and be done with it. For me, this concept is what I have been screaming about for years. Give me a rifle that shoots well out of the box. One that doesn't need hundreds of dollars spent in aftermarket parts to make it better. Give me a rifle that is easy to work on, should I need to change the barrel or stock.

Well, they delivered, but I have no need for one. frown

Great post.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I know exactly what consumers want. They want Sako L61R quality at Ruger American prices, and a right to bitch about it the "plastic" parts.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I know exactly what consumers want. They want Sako L61R quality at Ruger American prices, and a right to bitch about it the "plastic" parts.

People do like to crab about things. When I was a teenager, I thought being a whiner was a function of age. The older you got, the more you'd seen and the more complaints you had. Well, scientists are saying that older men crab because their testosterone levels drop. Apparently, they get grumpy and sit around complaining. The experts suggest older men take a supplement to treat low T.

I cannot imagine going to the gun club or a hunt camp and listening to my friends talking politely about everything. No swearing. No complaints.

"What's that Steve? Rust? No problem. A little oil is all it needs, and some TLC of course! Your rifles are getting older. I think hugging them is a wonderful idea too. Sometimes, when I'm home alone at night, I sing to my shotguns. And you know, I think they appreciate it! No, really! My scores are improving when I shoot skeet...

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I just did a quick look around. In June 1962 the intro price of a Rem 700 ADL was about $115. Putting that through a CPI inflation calculator says that's about $940 today.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
M M

Not to argue at all. In 1975/6 W M had the BDIs @ 169.00

I bought a 270 at a Discount g s for $ 150.00

Not too long ago W M price for BDL $ 779.00. - not too bad. Still hard to swallow SINCE......

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
You always say that, yet you often take up a contrary position. laugh Relax and enjoy the ride, Jerry.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WAM

My 6.5 CM is also a .257 Roberts although my old Ruger Model 77 tang safety is not nearly as purty as yours! Happy Trails

Count me in as well. If not for an already favourite 257 Roberts here, I'd look long and hard at a 6.5CM. smile

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by mathman

I just did a quick look around. In June 1962 the intro price of a Rem 700 ADL was about $115. Putting that through a CPI inflation calculator says that's about $940 today.

Yep, and my experience with 1960's and 70's 700's indicated they required considerable tweaking to shoot their best. After tweaking, they shot fine, often VERY well. My first .270 Winchester was a 700 ADL that, after free-floating the barrel and epoxy bedding, would shot 3-shot groups around 1/2" at 100 yards with ONE load.

But my present 6.5 Creedmoor is a Ruger American Rifle Predator. Out of the box, with a handload picked from past experience with 6.5 Creedmoors, it's first 100-yard group was .33". And that was 5 shots, not three. The WORST any of the four 6.5 Creedmoors I've owned (all factory rifles) has shot was 5 shots in an inch.

Am glad so many 24hour members are getting 1" groups with all their deer rifles in chamberings other than 6.5 Creedmoor. Maybe that astonishes some geezers who started handloading when 1" 3-shot groups were The Ideal. I'm a geezer myself so remember those days, but am growing just as weary of 6.5 "Creedmore" nitwits, who believe somebody, somewhere, is somehow demanding they buy a 6.5 Creedmoor.

I apologize if this sounds derogatory. Well, maybe half-sorry.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but am growing just as weary of 6.5 "Creedmore" nitwits, who believe somebody, somewhere, is somehow,demanding they buy a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Amen.
There's a good many dudes here that would make for excellent mother-in-laws.

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My question isn’t “why get a Creedmoor,” but is “why wouldn’t you get a Creedmoor?”

It ticks off so many boxes it’s absurd...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SKane
but am growing just as weary of 6.5 "Creedmore" nitwits, who believe somebody, somewhere, is somehow,demanding they buy a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Amen.
There's a good many dudes here that would make for excellent mother-in-laws.

Maybe the perpetual 6.5 CM whiners club can get some testosterone boosters.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I never owned a 6.5 anything til the Creedmoor came along. The explanation for its development made sense as well as its hunting application. Easy to load, easy to shoot and easy to get great groups. So much so I took a Tikka to Alaska earlier this month and brought home a caribou. One shot with a 143 ELD-X at 275 yds. with a recovered weight of 107 grains. The .270's might get dusty...................

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
If pressures were equal, which one do you think would kick azz?....:
[Linked Image]

which ever one had the best chamber and the best barrel.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The one on the left wins, 'cause it obviously has a bullet with a higher BC, and that, of course, is all that matters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
My question isn’t “why get a Creedmoor,” but is “why wouldn’t you get a Creedmoor?”

It ticks off so many boxes it’s absurd...

Yep. I've become a big fan in the last couple years. Only downside I've been able to find is they tend to multiply on a fella. wink

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Page 12 of 24 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 3,151 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.