Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So the bear spray was deployed.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They found bear spray on one bear. They found a canister at the scene. The safety was off. I think I read it was mangled. So, was it used on the bear, or did the bear find it and chew on it?

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hope he's over that "spring set" chit.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The article says Bridger is “thinking about heavier, deeper-penetrating bullets in 10mm cartridges designed for bear defense, to carry in his GLOCK.”

I’d say that’s not a bad idea… although a revolver chambered for a more powerful round might be a better one.

ah, no sh*t.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
IMHO. Big bore revolvers are a better choice for bear defense. His Glock did not return to battery. The 10mm worked in the end but only by a miracle.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Lennie
IMHO. Big bore revolvers are a better choice for bear defense. His Glock did not return to battery. The 10mm worked in the end but only by a miracle.

A rare occurrence.

Phil Shoemaker killed a bear with one 9mm round.

I'm no Phil Shoemaker, I might need all 16 of my 230 grain hard cast 10mm rounds to convince a bear to die.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is an odd story for several reasons. It definitely adds to the absurdity of the idea that “You only get one shot, at most, at a charging bear.”

And this is more about the Indian than the Arrow.

He shot hollow-point 10mm load at a bear’s "body” without shooting 10mm monolithic rounds at the bear’s head at close range because he cared more about a dog that might possibly have been in the way than his “family members following” along (“He screamed at Janelle to stay away.”).

The guy was videoing a threatened bear. Dumb.

“Bridger elected not to aim for the head. He didn’t want to hit one of his dogs. He triggered two or three shots aimed at the bear’s body.” Dumb.

“Bridger decided to retreat. He turned and hopped to the next boulder, then the next. ... In his fast mind-state, he realized this was bad.” He should have kept putting bullets into the animal, especially with loved ones nearby.

He probably brought the wrong JHP bullets; didn’t load his magazine; put dog life above human life, including “Janelle”; and didn’t keep shooting, but “decided to retreat” when he first hit the bear.

I would never place a self defense shot into anything other than the best place I could; would not stop firing if I had a 16-round 10mm gun; would not disengage and retreat with loved ones nearby; and would not use JHP bullets in bear territory.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

A rare occurrence.

I'm no Phil Shoemaker, I might need all 16 of my 230 grain hard cast 10mm rounds to convince a bear to die.

He actually hit it 7 times, so I'm assuming that there was more than one round involved.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
We are the best arm chair quarterbacks in the world! Looking at it all Shrapnels 357 is sure appealing from a weight, capacity, penetration standpoint loaded properly.

Last edited by jimmyp; 09/18/18.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm sticking with my Glock 40, long slide 10mm and Federal Trophy Bonded 180 grain SP. Of course we don't have any grizzly bears in Florida, but what the hey,

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very sobering....

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
We are the best arm chair quarterbacks in the world! Looking at it all Shrapnels 357 is sure appealing from a weight, capacity, penetration standpoint loaded properly.

Don't disagree, but I also don’t think penetration with the right 10mm round is much of an issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhmxYs23MHs

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sounds like he did everything well enough to live another day. If you've never been around dog nuts they are a different lot. They don't think anything of bear or cat encounters and it's very common for them to try and get everything on film.

Biggest take away I have from this story is dumb schit [bleep] that wouldn't know a spring from a dilddo convincing people to download their mags.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Or how about a Redhawk 8 shot 357 mag.?

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The client threw the pistol towards the guide and ran away?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My son just got back form his annual one week bow hunt for elk in the southwest part of the state. He said they saw 7 different grizzly bears. All were within 60 to 100 yds and at least 4 (a sow and 3 two yr old cubs) were responding to elk calls. He said the cubs were as big as black bears. None of the bears showed any fear of humans.

FWIW,

Paul

Last edited by paul105; 09/18/18.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by NMiller
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

A rare occurrence.

He actually hit it 7 times, so I'm assuming that there was more than one round involved.

I'm still looking for the magazine I read that in. What is the source of your information? From Mr. Shoemaker?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are three different bear/handgun stories being tossed around in this thread. The New Mexico black bear, the Wyoming grizzly and Mr. Shoemakers Alaskan brown bear.

The original thread was about the New Mexico black bear and the guys Glock 10mm. That guy either needs to educate himself about semi auto pistols and appropriate loads or start packing a sixgun. Load the magazine full, spring set from a fully loaded magazine isn't a real thing. Choose appropriate loads for heavy game. Don't jam a semi auto against whatever you are trying to shoot. Shoot to kill the thing that is trying to kill you, dogs be damned.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (2UP, 44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 16 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 869 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.