C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by deflave
Sounds like he did everything well enough to live another day. If you've never been around dog nuts they are a different lot. They don't think anything of bear or cat encounters and it's very common for them to try and get everything on film.

Yep. Some of those hound guys do stuff like this on the reg. They will do about anything to protect their dogs, including getting chomped.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lucky guy. Really lucky. What a story.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Thanks. Once again, I stand corrected.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sounds like he did everything well enough to live another day. If you've never been around dog nuts they are a different lot. They don't think anything of bear or cat encounters and it's very common for them to try and get everything on film.

I worked off-duty security at a couple of dog shows. I just thought I knew what dog show contestant's owners were like. I was wrong. I have never seen such, IMHO, a waste of effort and time in a group of like-minded people. I suppose they would consider some of my hobbies as a waste of time. However, I'm fairly certain than hairspray and blowdryers were developed with grooming human hair as their primary function.

Biggest take away I have from this story is dumb schit [bleep] that wouldn't know a spring from a dilddo convincing people to download their mags.

There were actually some LEOs I knew who kept their magazines downloaded by 1 or even 2 rounds. They insisted it saved spring strength and made their magazines function better. I always told them the gun manufacturers spent millions of dollars on R&D, and if they found downloading the mags worked better, the mags would come with less capacity but with the same spring. They'd look at me like I didn't have a clue in the world about the function of semiautomatic handguns and rifles. It's truly amazing what foolishness some people can convince themselves of partaking in.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All magazines or just the reloads?
Some fully loaded mags are hard to seat with the slide in battery.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I'm sticking with my Glock 40, long slide 10mm and Federal Trophy Bonded 180 grain SP. Of course we don't have any grizzly bears in Florida, but what the hey,

I look at it from the standpoint that nothing is stopping some yellowstone grizzly from heading my way. If one crosses the mountains, traverses the plains, swims the Mississippi, and shows up here I wanna be ready...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
with the buffalo bore 200's the 10 looks to be about the same as the 357 magnum loaded with 180 grain FN at 1400fps. I don't know if you would get 1400 out of Shrapnels 3 inch 7 shot gun but give or take Underwood ammo for the 10 and Buffalo for the 357

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
All magazines or just the reloads?
Some fully loaded mags are hard to seat with the slide in battery.

All magazines.

Which pistols have the issue you described (difficulty inserting a full mag with the slide in battery)? That covers a type of reload when actually using the semi-auto in self-defense...specifically a combat reload. In an extended gun fight, you can make sure your pistol is fully charged by releasing the partially full magazine (if and when you have time & cover), inserting it in your belt, then inserting a full magazine into the pistol that has a round in the chamber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many double stacks are more difficult if fully loaded.
Glock for sure. Not a huge deal, but it is easy to see a problem if one is jacked up and distracted.

Just looking for a reason to download.

I fully load mags, but I don't mess with a single for the chamber.
I have glock mags that have been loaded for 21 years.
They only get a break to be shot empty once in a while, then reloaded.
They all work fine

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Thanks Bob, That is a great link. Lots of bear attacks in the news this last week.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i cast and make quite a few different bullets, and brinell ratings. but i ordered some of these today
https://www.underwoodammo.com/products/10mm-auto-220-grain-hard-cast-flat-nose?variant=7865916555321

https://www.underwoodammo.com/colle...ong-nose-gas-check?variant=7865932644409

they kind of impressed me.
that 41mag in particular with over 1000ft lbs of muzzle energy, and 1350fps is quite a bit of handful.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/19/18.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Many double stacks are more difficult if fully loaded.
Glock for sure. Not a huge deal, but it is easy to see a problem if one is jacked up and distracted.

Just looking for a reason to download.

I fully load mags, but I don't mess with a single for the chamber.
I have glock mags that have been loaded for 21 years.
They only get a break to be shot empty once in a while, then reloaded.
They all work fine

I have carried on duty, for 15 years, a Para Ordnance P-14 (for 9 years) and a Glock 20 (for 6 years). I never experienced any difficulty seating a full magazine on a weapon that had the slide in battery...never.

I try not to leave my mags loaded for more than a month. If nothing else, I'll unload it at home, then reload it and put it where I had it. I don't have an abundance of fully loaded mags at home, but they are all Glock 20/40 mags. They all have 15 in the mag. If I strip one off to go in the barrel, I drop the mag and top it off. The capacity of a Glock 20 is 16 rounds. Why anyone would carry it with less, absent an asinine 10-round capacity limit, is a mystery to me.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

I worked off-duty security at a couple of dog shows. I just thought I knew what dog show contestant's owners were like. I was wrong. I have never seen such, IMHO, a waste of effort and time in a group of like-minded people. I suppose they would consider some of my hobbies as a waste of time. However, I'm fairly certain than hairspray and blowdryers were developed with grooming human hair as their primary function.

Biggest take away I have from this story is dumb schit [bleep] that wouldn't know a spring from a dilddo convincing people to download their mags.

There were actually some LEOs I knew who kept their magazines downloaded by 1 or even 2 rounds. They insisted it saved spring strength and made their magazines function better. I always told them the gun manufacturersspent millions of dollars on R&D, and if they found downloading the mags worked better, the mags would come with less capacity but with the same spring. They'd look at me like I didn't have a clue in the world about the function of semiautomatic handguns and rifles. It's truly amazing what foolishness some people can convince themselves of partaking in.

Magnumdood........see the movie “Best in Show”
And the spring thing.....Bob Bell, the gun writer, swapped a Luger for a 1911 in WW2......always used one mag, home gun. After more than 50 years of the second magazine being loaded he tried it. Worked as it should. 50+ years in a fully loaded condition. Zero problems.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Buddy just called me from Idaho and said he and a friend were archery hunting and caught movement. At first they thought it was an elk, then realized bear. It was downwind and he said when it hit their scent it turned and ran full speed straight at them to about 50 yards then disappeared due to terrain. No handguns, no bear spray.

They didn't know where it was going to pop out for a few tense moments when they spotted it going away. Gave him a new appreciation for the seriousness of bear encounters because of how that could have worked out, two guys with bows and a grizzly coming to them knowing they're there. Spooked him a little.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad the man made it out alive. To me it sounds like a poor ammo choice for "woods carry". He would be much better served with a hard cast 200-220 grain load or even a 200 grain full metal jacket. Penetration is the key. If your worried about a two legged animal attack, any of the loads that I suggested will punch .40 holes through a crazy methhead. When carrying my Glock 20 in the big Timber of southern Ohio, it's loaded with Double Tap 220 grain HCFN. More for big stray dogs and the odd wild boar, but there are a few black bears there and it's better to be safe than sorry. Also, I feel totally safe carrying my Glock 27 compact .40 S&W with a Lone Wolf barrel loaded with Buffalo Bore or Double Tap 200 grain hard cast. Switch barrels back and load her up with 180 grain Federal HST for the ride home.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Glad the man made it out alive. To me it sounds like a poor ammo choice for "woods carry". He would be much better served with a hard cast 200-220 grain load or even a 200 grain full metal jacket. Penetration is the key. If your worried about a two legged animal attack, any of the loads that I suggested will punch .40 holes through a crazy methhead. When carrying my Glock 20 in the big Timber of southern Ohio, it's loaded with Double Tap 220 grain HCFN. More for big stray dogs and the odd wild boar, but there are a few black bears there and it's better to be safe than sorry. Also, I feel totally safe carrying my Glock 27 compact .40 S&W with a Lone Wolf barrel loaded with Buffalo Bore or Double Tap 200 grain hard cast. Switch barrels back and load her up with 180 grain Federal HST for the ride home.

Ron

well i am another ron.
i can cast 200gr 10mm, i think, if i can find the molds in the shed.
but i bought some of those underwoods and they look like nice bullets.
i also bought some 41magnum 265 grain flat nose to do 1350fps. i think they would work.
i have a lew horton 41 mag with a 3inch barrel, wondering what that's gonna be like.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

I have carried on duty, for 15 years, a Para Ordnance P-14 (for 9 years) and a Glock 20 (for 6 years). I never experienced any difficulty seating a full magazine on a weapon that had the slide in battery...never.

I try not to leave my mags loaded for more than a month. If nothing else, I'll unload it at home, then reload it and put it where I had it. I don't have an abundance of fully loaded mags at home, but they are all Glock 20/40 mags. They all have 15 in the mag. If I strip one off to go in the barrel, I drop the mag and top it off. The capacity of a Glock 20 is 16 rounds. Why anyone would carry it with less, absent an asinine 10-round capacity limit, is a mystery to me.

Not to be contrarian, however it’s pretty standard to download pistol mags on the belt/pocket by 1 round where I work. Have seen numerous times under stress, compromised positions, physical fatigue, or when wounded dudes not seat a fully loaded double stack pistol mag with the slide closed. Not everyone does it, and if a person doesn’t see the need after rigorous and extremely stressful training, then they rock on.

I don’t do it with 1911’s, not with low capacity pistol mags, but with G19/17’s, P320’s, etc. I do. 16 rounds instead of 17 rounds, with more consistent seating has shown to be a fair trade off for us.

Having said all that, my spare mags hold 24 rounds....

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
...and another...humans must just be getting lucky....

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/2...s-cub-in-self-defense-officials-say.html

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Not to be contrarian, however it’s pretty standard to download pistol mags on the belt/pocket by 1 round where I work. Have seen numerous times under stress, compromised positions, physical fatigue, or when wounded dudes not seat a fully loaded double stack pistol mag with the slide closed. Not everyone does it, and if a person doesn’t see the need after rigorous and extremely stressful training, then they rock on.

I don’t do it with 1911’s, not with low capacity pistol mags, but with G19/17’s, P320’s, etc. I do. 16 rounds instead of 17 rounds, with more consistent seating has shown to be a fair trade off for us.

Having said all that, my spare mags hold 24 rounds....

That is a valid concern and I do that with some of my autos as well as my AR's.

But spring set is what was referred to in the article and that's just nonsense in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,700 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,324
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.