Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a Forster hand held outside neck turner. My question is, do I turn the necks before I resize a fired case or after. When turning necks from a sized case, I notice that it is very difficult to get the brass over the caliber specific pilot. Thanks for helping me understand the “right” process, and thanks for any feedback.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Were there instructions with it?

Never used a hand held, but On their lathe type you turn after sizing and pushing the expander in. On occasion I have lubed the mandrel a wee bit.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My Sinclair hand held turner is used on sized brass after the case has been necked up using an expander mandrel. Sinclair link here
The "expander mandrel" is held in an "expander die", you'll need both pieces if you do it this way.
It leaves the case neck ID .001" larger than the turning mandrel. enough clearance to turn but not so much the case will chatter.

If I was wanting to turn standard rifle brass I'd sacrifice one piece of fired brass to see if it turns smoothly.

I'm turning for a tight neck target rifle so I do the whole song and dance for that brass.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a Forster neck turner. I use it after resizing. I use a Lee case holder for their trim kit and turn it with a small ratchet driver that fits the hex end of the shell holder.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Put some imperial wax on the mandrill and it should work fine. I also polish the mandrill with Flitz and 0000 steel wool to slick it up. You can get different sized or custom mandrills too if still difficult. Annealing the case can help too if the case has had a couple of firings already.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've never waxed a mandrill. grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yah think it might take exception to it?

[Linked Image]

cool

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This one had its backside waxed. I'm not sure about the Flitz/steel wool treatment. Does it look happy?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 09/17/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Yah think it might take exception to it?

[Linked Image]

cool

Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
This one had its backside waxed. I'm not sure about the Flitz/steel wool treatment. Does it look happy?

[Linked Image]

LMAO

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (5sdad, 673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 450yukon, 13 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,381
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.