Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by add
Having an alert an armed sentry when hunched over a day old kill in grizzly country is not ambiguous.

How much time have you spent in grizzly country?

Enough to know the gun should be out of the pack and the bologna sandwich stays in until the trail-head is reached.

I would bet in minutes it is less than 10...

Keep avoiding there, Cap'n

Sure thing there Grizzly Adams, I am sure the closest you’ve been to a Grizzly was watching TV...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Seems a bit simplistic.

What has changed about the mountains today that precluded grizzlies in early times? The friggin things are/were found from the Arctic tundra clear to Southern California. Surely every area of habitat that was habitable by grizzlies, was.

Lewis and Clark nearly starved to death in the Rocky Mountains, nothing to eat. Grizzlies weren’t there for the same reason. You can’t judge frontier America by what today’s conditions are...

One often hears the Lewis and Clark argument. But Lewis and Clark were 30 guys trying to feed themselves through hunting while essentially sampling along a single transect, which arguments seek to represent the whole Rocky Mountains. Rather.than being free to move about and look for game they have to remain on course and follow valleys so steep-sided they lose horses tumbling off of cliffs, even so, one of their party in the middle of all that reports a bear track, griz or black we ain’t told.

Twenty and thirty years later did the Mountain Men themselves starve? Or was it intermittent periods of hardship and sometimes plenty, much as L&C had experienced?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by add
[quote=add]Having an alert an armed sentry when hunched over a day old kill in grizzly country is not ambiguous.

How much time have you spent in grizzly country?

Enough to know the gun should be out of the pack and the bologna sandwich stays in until the trail-head is reached.

I would bet in minutes it is less than 10...

Keep avoiding there, Cap'n

You seem compelled to defend some perhaps poor judgement / professionalism on the part of the guide here.

Why is this that, because he died?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wasn't on that mountain, won't pretend to know what did or didn't happen.

But reading here - I sure hope that those gentlemen didn't employ the spray first with the hopes of avoiding the pistol. Seems like if I thought I'd need the spray, I probably needed the pistol. Having a choice would seem to complicate things. I'd rather swing big and KNOW I was using the strongest deterrent available at the time that I had than 1/2 way and hope it was enough. I hope that wasn't the case that they worried about backlash and tried the spray first because of fear of prosecution or harassment from Treadwells later.

Now before someone gets wound up - spent very little to no time in Griz country. BUT when I was 14 I did get charged by a wounded black bear and shot him at a distance of about 20 inches. Measured and witnessed by 3 other people. I've been in a "high excitement" situation with something that weighed more than I did and could eat me. I'm not saying 1:1 comparison or that I'd do the same now. Just saying - my perspective.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by add

You seem compelled to defend some perhaps poor judgement / professionalism on the part of the guide here.

What you don't know would fill a Presidential Library. Somehow you think your experience is relevant and you have never seen a Grizzly bear, let alone encountered one. I don't know where you are from, but it is easily hundreds of miles from Wyoming and nowhere near where this incident took place, yet you have personal knowledge of the situation.

I have lived my life in Grizzly country, I have seen them charge, kill cattle and killed them myself. The last Grizzly sighting I had was last week at 75 yards. I have seen first hand how fast and powerful they are.

I have not defended the actions of the guide, I have not condemned him for what happened because I know enough to say that he may have done everything he could and still ended up dead. You, however, make indicting comments from a living room in some house so far removed from the country where bears and people coexist and wonder why your comments are irrelevant...

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by add

What you don't know would fill a Presidential Library. Somehow you think your experience is relevant and you have never seen a Grizzly bear, let alone encountered one. I don't know where you are from, but it is easily hundreds of miles from Wyoming and nowhere near where this incident took place, yet you have personal knowledge of the situation.

I have lived my life in Grizzly country, I have seen them charge, kill cattle and killed them myself. The last Grizzly sighting I had was last week at 75 yards. I have seen first hand how fast and powerful they are.

I have not defended the actions of the guide, I have not condemned him for what happened because I know enough to say that he may have done everything he could and still ended up dead. You, however, make indicting comments from a living room in some house so far removed from the country where bears and people coexist and wonder why your comments are irrelevant...

This post redeemed your ground slucing.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by add

This post redeemed your ground slucing.

good post......I will say there seems to be some inconsistent statements with the stories….don't buy the horse account

did you guys hear about the grizzly hit on the road here a couple days ago?...…..here is paradise valley....have seen pics of it...….bob

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
shrapnel;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day looks as promising on your side of the medicine line as it does here.

While I don't have anywhere near the personal experience with grizzly bears that you do, we've hiked, tented and hunted in areas where they're known to frequent for the past 30+ years.

As well, and I'm not comparing the two - but we're very much familiar with their black bear cousins - saw two pretty fair ones hunting this past weekend in fact and can testify to how incredibly powerful AND fast a black bear can be sometimes.

Anyway, I thought that this "because I know enough to say that he may have done everything he could and still ended up dead" pretty much sums it up, for me anyway.

A good buddy a couple hours north of us worked with a young lady whose brother and his hunting partner were killed by a grizzly out of Canal Flats about 20 years back. They had a bull elk down and two loaded rifles were found at the scene, though one apparently jammed.

Speaking personally, I've come to grips with the fact that I'm not going to live forever and if folks like you and I keep going into grizzly country, it just might be that's the cause of getting our ticket punched. Odds are in my case however some wonderful BC driver will take me out on the highway before I hit the logging road into grizzly country.

Anyway sir, all the best to you and your fine family and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BobMt
….don't buy the horse account.

Based on what?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by lvmiker
We are Headed to Jackson in 2 weeks and I find comfort in my Glock, Guide Gun and the fact that I can outrun my wife since her knee surgery. Be safe out there.

That strategy seemed to have worked well for the client....

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Wyoming Game and Fish Department says deceased guide Mark Uptain did deploy bear spray. Found a used can beside his body. Sow bear captured and killed did have pepper residue on her. Department says the bears were not known to them and had never been handled by their agency.

Carry on!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
We are Headed to Jackson in 2 weeks and I find comfort in my Glock, Guide Gun and the fact that I can outrun my wife since her knee surgery. Be safe out there.

Another misconception about running away. All you have to do is remember that bears will chase what runs, so if you are slower, just stop and let the bear continue to chase the athlete. In most cases the bear loses because good runners are usually tough and sinewy, not that good to eat...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

After being drug off a horse, I wanna' know how the heck the horse stuck around long enough for the hunter to catch it and ride out of there.........

FWIW, and IMHO, the "clients story" has changed a couple of times....and I wouldn't trust him enough to go ANYWHERE with him...fight or flight type thing...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Personally, I wouldn't be too hard on the client. It's not his responsibility to keep the guide safe, it's the other way around.

And I wouldn't blame the guide either. No one on this board has enough information to know what happened. What is it that causes people who have no knowledge of or involvement in a tragedy like this to feel the need to place blame?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Other than the name calling, an interesting thread. To those with actual bear experience, my respects.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by smokepole

Personally, I wouldn't be too hard on the client. It's not his responsibility to keep the guide safe, it's the other way around.

And I wouldn't blame the guide either. No one on this board has enough information to know what happened. What is it that causes people who have no knowledge of or involvement in a tragedy like this to feel the need to place blame?

You’re right, No one really happened. But this for sure - two armed men were attacked my a single bear. The guide my be an amateur

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J

What is it that causes people who have no knowledge of or involvement in a tragedy like this to feel the need to place blame?

Retardation

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For those condemning the hunter, he probably has no experience with bears. He found himself in the middle of what is probably one of the most terrifying scenarios in which a human being can find himself. It's easy to judge his actions, after the fact, from the safety of our homes or offices as we read this thread and type away. Even foresight of what we should do and could do in anticipation of the possibility of a grizzly attack can in no way prepare one for the shear terror we may face. The hunter reacted in a manner that many on this forum may. I'm sure he, after the fact, in a cool headed, non adrenalin and panic filled state, is probably saying to himself, some of the same things as are being said here about him and what he should have done. He is not unique among even otherwise brave and cool-headed men who have behaved in a "questionable manner" when faced with high-stress panic-laden situations.

I have had several bear encounters while hunting. Coming across a grizzly at close range really does create instant panic, moreso than even combat. Each situation I faced was resolved without me becoming dinner. The closest I've come to my own demise is while bowhunting I got between a momma black bear and two cubs. I thank heaven that once I discovered my predicament I was able to gather my wits quick enough to drop my bow and climb a tree just before she began her charge.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 09/18/18.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No blame game here. And I have not read all the pages. But an observation.......

There is a definite downside to sticking an arrow in an Elk in the afternoon. Bone soured in the morning......plus a grizzly buffet!

Afternoon thermals can also be wish washy.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by precision223

You’re right, No one really happened. But this for sure - two armed men were attacked my a single bear. The guide my be an amateur

Punctuation, grammar and spelling are important to not look like an amateur.

Page 12 of 40 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 65 invisible), 3,018 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.