-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Travis-I was 10 years old at the time. Maybe I wasn't as strong as I should have been. A dozen traps in the pack was about all I could handle.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by reivertom
I had kids late in life, and I'm old school, small town KY raised. I think my kids are starting to understand where I come from better as they get a bit older. My parents grew up in the Great Depression, and my Grandparents who were born in the mid 1890s had a big influence on me. At times I feel like a living fossil, but sometimes when I get my kids to understand something that is important to me, I feel much better. Common sense never goes out of style, even though there's not much used in today's world.

Great post. We have things in common.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Well, laundry and dishes are done.

Guess I'll get schitfaced.

CHEERS!

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Schit no....all it does now is rain.....now that my wheat crop is ready to cut.

I am starting to think the Jeebus dont like me.

You seriously haven't cut wheat yet? Wheat has been off around here for close to a month now. Soybeans are coming off now.

[Linked Image]

I have some cut.

The people who got rain have their wheat cut, mostly.

The people who did not get any rain are still waiting. Lots of wheat left to cut in the area. All dark northern spring of course.

Soybeans dont grow here.

I am MAGA.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Are you guys a no till operation? We hear about some of that and I find it interesting.

Something clever here.

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
It just surprised me because we're up by the border, all wheat is off around us and up past winnepeg.

Something clever here.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sort of a low till type of operation.

I did try the straight no till for a few years and it did not turn out for me. Not because its a bad system, but because I was not good at it.

I am no good at spraying fields when I cant see any green!

Now we do a mixture of spraying, tillage and cover crops.

Trying to work the soil as little as possible.

We try not to fallow any land.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by northern_dave
It just surprised me because we're up by the border, all wheat is off around us and up past winnepeg.

Spring wheat?

The winter wheat came off here starting in July.

Not uncommon to harvest spring wheat up here through September.

We were late this year waiting for the snow to melt and the fields to dry out. Delayed later still by the ground conditions.....it was too hard to get the drill into the ground. A rain then would have helped.

Our crop was slow to ripen because of the drought. Just the opposite of what you would think!

It burnt up a month and a half ago and I thought I would be done early.....then it just quit ripening.

Been a crazy year.

I am MAGA.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Spring wheat. all crops were in super early this year, like risky early for frost that's still possible in june but it worked out well.

I don't farm but I live in farm country and have farmer friends so I speak a little farmer. It's interesting to me, all the strategy that's in play. Interesting business.

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by satx78247
To All,

Her bare feet tell me that she isn't really in a new-mown hayfield, as I've NEVER seen a new-mown field that didn't have numerous venomous snakes, who would happily bite her feet/legs.

yours, tex

Maybe that field isn’t in Texas....

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Kingston,

Maybe NOT but there are PLENTY of rattle-tails in WI, NY State & everywhere else that I was ever stationed in the Army from east to west coast. ====> Pit vipers like to hunt for rodents in hay fields.

On our farm, we have often "baled up" both rattlers & copperheads. = It pays to LOOK before bucking each bale. - Saves quick trips to the ER, as snakes don't enjoy being reaped/baled.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I’d have to burn the field if there was snakes.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
tzone,

IF we burned our hayfields because of the snakes that are ALWAYS therein, we would NEVER have GREAT Coastal Bermuda hay for sale to the horseracing industry.

BTW, this year because of plenty of rain we will get a THIRD CUTTING. = WOO HOO.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Snake fed horses are the fastest horses.

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
northern dave,

Chicken-fried rattler-fed Texicans are HAPPY TEXICANS.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Jim, believe it or not they played that one on on the local radio here a week or two ago!

Gruff, heard you had some bear(raccoon?) trouble in the urban sprawl hen house. Time to swallow your pride and get Ace over there to show you how to homestead.

Negatron, not yet. Mine so far have been unmolested, but neighbor had his wiped out. Haven't seen any coons here in my immediate vicinity, thankfully. smile I've Ace on speed dial to left-jab any mofo comes in to get my flock o egg birds.

MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by satx78247
Kingston,

Maybe NOT but there are PLENTY of rattle-tails in WI, NY State & everywhere else that I was ever stationed in the Army from east to west coast. ====> Pit vipers like to hunt for rodents in hay fields.

On our farm, we have often "baled up" both rattlers & copperheads. = It pays to LOOK before bucking each bale. - Saves quick trips to the ER, as snakes don't enjoy being reaped/baled.

yours, tex

LMAO.

Everything's more dangerous when you're a Texan.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
deflave,

Fyi, ONE of the best means that my late Uncle fixed his son (my 1st cousin) & I was precipitated by a "buzzing haybale. = Randy heard the buzz, went to investigate & returned with a 5.5 foot rattle-tail that was dressed-out at about 10#.

When we got close to the farmhouse, the AROMA drifting out the door literally made my mouth water. = Chicken-fried rattler, fried potatoes, baked yellow squash casserole, home made cornbread muffins & iced tea ====> YUMMY.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The thread on Paul McCartney has me thinking about the way most of us on the 'fire were raised. Eating home grown tomatoes, shooting cap pistols, , then BB guns. Riding horses, driving at an early age.

I fear we are a drying breed. I don't like those cityfied ways.

That's the way I was raised not too far from you in Madison County, 4 miles southeast of Winterset on 46 acres and half the County to explore on a Sunday afternoon on our ponies. Unfortunately, Mom, Dad and my youngest brother are gone. One brother lives in Utah and one is still at the house on the farm. I'm trying to keep the farm for my kids (the only grand kids) so they can get a piece of what I grew up with.

I rent out the farm ground we used to keep milk cows and grew hay and corn on. The old barn and corn crib is gone. My kids will never know what it's like to have a corn cob fight with their brothers and the neighbor kids or ride them ornery ponies bareback. We used to go to town every Saturday night. It was a big event for us. We stayed until Tim's Club Cafe' on the east side of the square closed at 11:00 p.m. and then went home tired and ready for bed. We couldn't go to town until Dad got to watch Hee Haw on TV. When we came home we watched the Porter Waggoner Show before going to bed.

I live in Ankeny now (60,000 souls) with a Walmart 1.7 miles away. I'd trade it all for 1969 and another Saturday night at Tim's Club Cafe' with Martha and Whitey McDonald and one more glass of fountain Coca Cola before getting into the Ford station wagon and making that drive 4 miles home. Was it Steelie who said we can't go back?? Unfortunately, he is right. That's the real heart breaker.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 09/19/18.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
KWG, how far from Peru, Iowa are you?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 49 invisible), 2,064 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,088
Posts18,463,966
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.