Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 40 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 39 40
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by precision223
But this for sure - two armed men were attacked my a single bear.

No, it's not for sure. And the only first-hand account I've read said the attack happened while they were on horseback dragging the elk out of cover, at least one of them.

So all the uninformed blather about having one guy stand guard while the other works on the carcass is just that--uninformed blather.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
[quote=lvmiker] We are Headed to Jackson in 2 weeks and I find comfort in my Glock, Guide Gun and the fact that I can outrun my wife since her knee surgery. Be safe out there.

What is it that causes people who have no knowledge of or involvement in a tragedy like this to feel the need to place blame?

Retardation

I didn't realize I was placing blame...I was commenting on the account provided by the client and my comments were directed more at the content of his character...."HE'S" the one that'll have to live with his actions/inactions.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have had some close encounters with black bear, but have not with a grizz.
what captivates me is the choice of ammunition and the glock.
few years ago i was hunting in an area of colorado where the state said no grizz. this contradicted with my brothers in law, both cattlemen, that knew the area. They said not many, but they were there.
we were sleeping in a outfitter's canvas tent, and i sure felt better at night with a 7inch barrel vaquero in 45 colt.
using this ammo. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=38
i still have those two boxes.
i checked both buffalo and underwood last night, both had better ammo that the i think article described 165 grain stuff in this situation.
we have both black bear and mt lion living within the city limits of prescott, az. it's only a matter of time.
there are a lot of new people, mostly california, in the area getting freaked out about encountering coyotes while out walking their dog.
signs along hiking paths in case of lion rattle a can with rocks in it., a bear in the parking lot of a walmart store, and people taking pictures of a
cat just few feet from their kids in a popular lake. Response was just a purty cat.
the problem is people unfamilar with these animals invading so to speak their territory.
i was arguing a few years ago with a guy who did own guns, had a mt lion sleeping on his front porch.
i kept telling him to kill it, which he didn't want to do.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
For those condemning the hunter, he probably has no experience with bears. He found himself in the middle of what is probably one of the most terrifying scenarios in which a human being can find himself. It's easy to judge his actions, after the fact, from the safety of our homes or offices as we read this thread and type away. Even foresight of what we should do and could do in anticipation of the possibility of a grizzly attack can in no way prepare one for the shear terror we may face. .

Well said.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
[quote=lvmiker] We are Headed to Jackson in 2 weeks and I find comfort in my Glock, Guide Gun and the fact that I can outrun my wife since her knee surgery. Be safe out there.

What is it that causes people who have no knowledge of or involvement in a tragedy like this to feel the need to place blame?

Retardation

I didn't realize I was placing blame...I was commenting on the account provided by the client and my comments were directed more at the content of his character...."HE'S" the one that'll have to live with his actions/inactions.

FWIW, my comment about placing blame wasn't aimed at you. But reading your quote above, especially the parts about "the content of his character" and "He's the one that'll have to live with his actions," and your other comment to the effect that you wouldn't trust him to go anywhere, it sure sounds like you're placing blame. You can't have it both ways.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

FWIW, my comment about placing blame wasn't aimed at you. But reading your quote above, especially the parts about "the content of his character" and "He's the one that'll have to live with his actions," and your other comment to the effect that you wouldn't trust him to go anywhere, it sure sounds like you're placing blame. You can't have it both ways.

Would you volunteer to help him pack out an elk???

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve got neither condemnation nor approval for what happened. I’ve spent a fair amount of time in both grizzly (brown bear) territory and black bear country and have seen how fast a “normal” situation can turn into a life and death struggle despite all the best intentions and preparations. A bear can be amazingly quiet for such a big and cumbersome animal and even more amazingly how much ground a determined bear can cover when its mind is made up.

If I hire a guide to take me elk hunting I expect my guide to get me on elk, not to protect me in every possible scenario. The only situation that I might feel differently is in Alaska where the state requires non-residents to hire a guide. Since Alaska is owned by the guides association and they require non-residents hunt with a guide (non-resident guides in many cases) I put more responsibility on the guide (and the guides union/association and the state).

Hiring an elk guide doesn’t mean you hired a body guard and as far as I can tell the guide saved his client and sacrificed himself. That client sounds like a coward of the first order. Having been tested more than a few times I know that my first response is NOT flight therefore my opinion is that a grown man that chooses flight over fight in this situation is a coward. That clown should never hunt in places where bears, cats, or big rocks abound.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
....we were sleeping in a outfitter's canvas tent, and i sure felt better at night with a 7inch barrel vaquero in 45 colt.

I would too.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 'puter shows 12 pages on this, would be 4 without quotes on quotes on quotes.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Hiring an elk guide doesn’t mean you hired a body guard and as far as I can tell the guide saved his client and sacrificed himself. That client sounds like a coward of the first order. Having been tested more than a few times I know that my first response is NOT flight therefore my opinion is that a grown man that chooses flight over fight in this situation is a coward. That clown should never hunt in places where bears, cats, or big rocks abound.

I agree...I can't imagine leaving anybody laying on the ground getting his ass chewed up...

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I still want a Smith 329PD

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hookeye
I still want a Smith 329PD

Gitcha one. What are you waiting for?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Tracks
My 'puter shows 12 pages on this, would be 4 without quotes on quotes on quotes.

Your ‘puter is providing you with 12 pages, so far, of free arm-chair-quarterbacking entertainment, by people who have no clue how horses or people react during a bear confrontation.

Sit back and eat your popcorn, and enjoy it.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
IThat client sounds like a coward of the first order. Having been tested more than a few times I know that.....

You don't know squat. Unless you've been dragged off a horse by your ankle.

Is that how you were "tested more than a few times?"

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
IThat client sounds like a coward of the first order. Having been tested more than a few times I know that.....

I’ll trust what I know over your guessing.

You can use partial quotes and take statements out of context all you want (typical liberal reaction) but it makes you look stupid. You have become more and more argumentative for no good reason, not just this thread but many of the ones you insert yourself in. I don’t know if loneliness and old age is your excuse but either way you just come across as a washed up old crank that gets off on picking internet arguments because you lack excitement in your elderly life. Keep on keeping on champ....you’re always good for a laugh at your own expense.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cinch

Take a look at what the stupid phugk who calls himself Quynhu is doing on the Go Fund Me page. And it's only been days the family's been grieving. Low life liberal scum.

Wish I could reach out and touch that sonofabitch.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Take a look at what the stupid phugk who calls himself Quynhu is doing on the Go Fund Me page. And it's only been days the family's been grieving. Low life liberal scum.

It is only one on a very long list that needs to be dealt with. It's day will come.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I’ll trust what I know over your guessing.

You can use partial quotes and take statements out of context all you want (typical liberal reaction) but it makes you look stupid. You have become more and more argumentative for no good reason, not just this thread but many of the ones you insert yourself in. I don’t know if loneliness and old age is your excuse but either way you just come across as a washed up old crank that gets off on picking internet arguments because you lack excitement in your elderly life. Keep on keeping on champ....you’re always good for a laugh at your own expense.

You're a clueless [bleep]. Been tested my ass. Once again I'll ask the question--what is it that makes people like you with no knowledge of or connection to a tragedy like this feel the need to place blame?

And show me where I quoted you out of context.

Last edited by smokepole; 09/18/18.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by local_dirt

It is only one on a very long list that needs to be dealt with. It's day will come.

Careful there....you don’t want to belittle the coward because he’s old man polesmoker’s idol.

“I threw the gun to the guide but it didn’t get to him”. Good plan and great throw. 🙄

I like how the coward gives advice on carrying the proper ammo. WTF does carrying the proper ammo have to do with anything if you’re too scared to use the pistol?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Apparently polesmoker is a coward too. She thinks running away is preferable to standing up like a man. Throwing your pistol to someone getting attacked is preferable to using the pistol in defense of your and your guides life. Leaving a man to die as he fights for his life is okay if you throw him your pistol before taking flight.

The coward showed us his minor scratches (none apparently needed stitches as shown in the video) but I’m sure that the “gore” suffered by the coward reassured old polesmoker that his propensity to run away is warranted.lol

This thread, if nothing else, proves that Polesmoker is a runner not a fighter.....way to go champ. 👍

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 13 of 40 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.