Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Its not the bag. I'm curious as to how it's bedded. There's also probably too much pressure, or uneven pressure on the barrel. Formid is right in his post, but only when dealing with a freefloated barrel. The stock appears to be unoriginal to that rifle. At this point, I'd pillar bed and freefloat the barrel on that rifle. You'll probably have a sub moa shooter then, if done right... furthermore, I'd pull that damn 2.5-8 off, get rid of those qd's and start over. Leopold DD's would be better.

Ouch! That’s harsh, about the QD’s! wink Been using them for years ( around 20 years), and no problems. Though, they are for a back-up scope, and not been needed. But, when tested....did fine! “If”, and I repeat “IF”, I do my part... my old AI, can put 3 under 2” at 300 yrds.! Now.....your gonna go and give me something else to worry about! frown memtb

PS: You’re also pretty hard on a scope that served well for over 20 years! Why are ya “pick’n” on my rig !! whistle

Ha ha.. It's better to pick on you than your wife. She's tough, shooting that 338 and all... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B6

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iviax
Just a quick update of this subject.

So, eventually, I get the rifle to shoot 1 moa. I had removed the sling, sling stud, unscrew the middle screw a bit, remove the rear sandbag...

There was a huge part of it was because I am not a sharpshooter. I have shot another person's Bergara HMR at the range right after he put a nice sub moa on the target...I couldn't repeat his group.

Put your sling back on, the sling stud back on, keep the middle screw as you have it set now (which I hope is just snug like everyone has been telling you) and put that bag just ahead of the trigger guard. Use your rear bag. Play with the barrel boss screw/forend screw and see if accuracy changes. Go back to the basics and proper fundamentals for shooting accurately. Breathing, trigger control, sight alignment and follow through. Practice practice practice... If you want to make your buddies Bergara look silly, have a professional properly glass bed the rifle, fine tune the trigger and learn to hand load an accurate load for it... He'll be chasing his tail trying to catch up...

[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have been shooting M/70's since 1973 and have never had to glass bed/pillar bed or fool with the bedding in any way in order to get a rifle to shoot satisfactory groups.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You are wasting your time shooting targets. Targets are made by ammo and component manufacturers and the paper is made with mobile ink that moves around on the paper. That way you just keep shooting and buying more ammo and components trying to cure a problem that doesn’t even exist...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I have been shooting M/70's since 1973 and have never had to glass bed/pillar bed or fool with the bedding in any way in order to get a rifle to shoot satisfactory groups.

"Satisfactory" to you may be sub par to others. There's a reason guys send their rifles to guys like redneck for bedding and trigger work. As well, some of us are equally capable of doing the work themselves. Pillars and Glass bedding help to maintain consistent accuracy. To think or say otherwise may be a testament or admittance to the blatant lack of knowledge one has on the subject.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by shrapnel

You are wasting your time shooting targets. Targets are made by ammo and component manufacturers and the paper is made with mobile ink that moves around on the paper. That way you just keep shooting and buying more ammo and components trying to cure a problem that doesn’t even exist...

Now THAT'S logic. Amen brother!

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Just a quick update of this subject.

So, eventually, I get the rifle to shoot 1 moa. I had removed the sling, sling stud, unscrew the middle screw a bit, remove the rear sandbag...

There was a huge part of it was because I am not a sharpshooter. I have shot another person's Bergara HMR at the range right after he put a nice sub moa on the target...I couldn't repeat his group.

Put your sling back on, the sling stud back on, keep the middle screw as you have it set now (which I hope is just snug like everyone has been telling you) and put that bag just ahead of the trigger guard. Use your rear bag. Play with the barrel boss screw/forend screw and see if accuracy changes. Go back to the basics and proper fundamentals for shooting accurately. Breathing, trigger control, sight alignment and follow through. Practice practice practice... If you want to make your buddies Bergara look silly, have a professional properly glass bed the rifle, fine tune the trigger and learn to hand load an accurate load for it... He'll be chasing his tail trying to catch up...

[Linked Image]

If that ain't a cold looking summitch! Getting nipples just looking at that. Good post too.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I also have to trouble with those group. Then hit me. I get closer. Problem solve. All shot same hole. You welcome.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
FYI Mr. BSA know it all, satisfactory is a MOA 3 shot group at 100 yds. without glass/pillar bedding. My .35 Whelen has been consistently producing this level of accuracy for 25 yrs. now. Send your rifle to whomever or do it yourself whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by gunswizard; 08/21/18.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[quote=shrapnel]

A strong argument for making your own targets! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Iviax,

You asked "What are your thoughts?"

It's where the FIRST shot goes from a hunting rifle that matters to me!

Test your hunting rifles as to where the first shot goes!

If it hit's on you don't need more shots!

So what's a reliable test for that?

Fire one shot per day on the same target, for many days under different weather conditions! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
It most often is the nut behind the bolt causing the issue.

I
iviax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
I talked with the friend who checked my rifle when the rifle couldn't group well. He brought the rifle home and found the ring base was loose and he tightened it for me.

30-06 must have some recoil that the base was loose after a few boxes.

I told him that I can shoot 1 moa now. He's happy that he solved the problem for me.

Last edited by iviax; 08/25/18.
I
iviax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Today, I switch my ammo from Remington Corelokt 150gr to Federal Non-typical whitetail soft point 150gr.
I can feel the new ammo has less recoil.

1) The first shot was where I found it on the target. So it didn't take any effort to get close to the bullseye.

2) The second group, I shot 4 times. The group seems good enough.

3) The third group, I made 3 shots. I made the adjustment and 4 clicks to the right. I shot a bit low, but the group was tight enough.

So I am very happy about the rifle and new ammo. I will be using it from now on.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by iviax; 09/14/18.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Most often...it’s the simplest things. When I get a new (to me) rifle, before ever shooting it, I remove the action from stock, clean the action bolts and action threads and loctite and torque. Remove scope bases, and do the same as action bolts.....repeat with scope rings! Now....I’m ready to take a few shots! These steps, are like the “cornerstone” or foundation of a building.....these must be correct for the building to be structurally sound!

It looks as though, you’ve got things headed your way! Congrats! It appears to be shoot’n pretty good. Enjoy the little victories! memtb

I
iviax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Removing the
Originally Posted by memtb
Most often...it’s the simplest things. When I get a new (to me) rifle, before ever shooting it, I remove the action from stock, clean the action bolts and action threads and loctite and torque. Remove scope bases, and do the same as action bolts.....repeat with scope rings! Now....I’m ready to take a few shots! These steps, are like the “cornerstone” or foundation of a building.....these must be correct for the building to be structurally sound!

It looks as though, you’ve got things headed your way! Congrats! It appears to be shoot’n pretty good. Enjoy the little victories! memtb

reinstall the ring base and ring, scope kind of did the trick. I do like the new ammo a lot. less recoil and better results.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
As a non-handloader, you’ll likely invest in several brands, bullet types and weights of ammo....before you find the one that works best for you! memtb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I talked with the friend who checked my rifle when the rifle couldn't group well. He brought the rifle home and found the ring base was loose and he tightened it for me.

I told him that I can shoot 1 moa now. He's happy that he solved the problem for me.

That's a good reason to pull those windage adjustable mounts and use some DD's.

BSA MAGA
I
iviax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I

That's a good reason to pull those windage adjustable mounts and use some DD's.

What does DD stand for?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dual Dovetail I think

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
337 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.