Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 40 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 39 40
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GregW
I'm in AZ and we take potential meat spoilage to about as high as they go,.

Prob’ly not. Ever lived in a remote African village? Rancid is an aquired taste.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Prob’ly not. Ever lived in a remote African village? Rancid is an aquired taste.

Have at it...grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
Originally Posted by BobMt
[quote=Angus1895]No blame game here. And I have not read all the pages. But an observation.......

There is a definite downside to sticking an arrow in an Elk in the afternoon. Bone soured in the morning......plus a grizzly buffet!

Afternoon thermals can also be wish washy.

if the elk was shot in the afternoon, and gotten to the next day.....it was more than likely spoiled.......at that point you need to assume, a bear will be on it.......lets wait and see what smokepole has to say....he should be able to google...spoiled elk, and grizzly bear....and get back to us.....bob

Could have died overnight and the meat be fine...

They gotta go see regardless...
Greg, Elk are very bad about spoiling since they are so thick, and in mild temps, you have to get them open ASAP. The neck is the first to go with it being under the cape, and no avenue for the heat to escape.

You can leave one on the mountain overnight to retrieve the next day, but only after you field dress, wash blood out of the cavity and off the meat, situate the rear legs open to get air into the cavity, "and" the evening temps and into the next morning "have to be" cold enough to protect the meat from spoilage.

Laughing....

Not near my first rodeo my man but thanks for the pointers....laughing...
And I'm supposed to know that when you make your very vague statement, "Could have died overnight and the meat be fine..." with zero clarification? Yeah, I'm laughing at how you think somebody is supposed to just fill in the blanks you left...laughing here bud.

The neck is the first to go as it's under the cape? What about the rest of it under the cape that's a bit thicker than the neck? Laughing...
The laugh is on you making a fool out of yourself here while you fail to mention the rest of what I said. I went on to discuss the rest of it under the cape that's a bit thicker than the neck while telling how you need to field dress it. Are you really that mentally bankrupt to lower yourself to the level of these other mentally bankrupt degenerates here?

If you leave a track job of an alive critter overnight not to bump, which often times is the only chance of recovery, time of death may occur at any point meaning that when you find critter the next morning, time of death might have been not too long previously and with a beating heart, meat is bueno....
Really? I believe I covered that already:
The guide had to have known it was a 99.9% chance they would just find green meat.

My only thought here is the guide, knowing it was a wound shot and not a kill shot, was hoping they could find a weak and alive, wounded bull, and finish him and still have good meat to pack-out.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...hunter-mauled-guide-missing#Post13139982

But...you're not here to discuss what I said, are you? You're a fanboy of fakepole, here to show the world how mentally bankrupt you are, while attempting to bust my balls...Thanks for the laughs. BWAHAHAHAHA.

PS- I'm in AZ and we take potential meat spoilage to about as high as they go, even in elk season. I'm pretty well versed in it....
Yeah, who would've thunk in AZ you need to know a little about spoilage....laughing.

Whew....

Who has a handle named elkslayer? Bet you've slayed a "ton" of elk....

No one gives a damnn. I'm half convinced you are a woman with the drama you start.

You've been spreading your vast knowledge all over this board. Folks like you come and go all the time. Just like JeffO, trying waaay to hard to act like you've done something....

- Greg

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by lvmiker
[quote=lvmiker]
You are getting more amusing w/ every post.
People usually say the same when they are incapable of refuting the facts I post when debating liberals online. You are no different.

Your "well thought out theory " in the absence of fact= a guess
Your public education failed you.

“Well thought out Theory” based on “present known facts” = “How intelligent people operate”. You obviously fail in the intelligent department, like your failed public education you received.

Sarcasm was not recognized because the quality of your thinking substantiates the opinion of your friends.
Now see, here is a perfect example of what you spoke of above, “absence of fact”. You are completely incapable of “substantiating the opinion of my friends”, because you have not personally interviewed them and acquired facts through discovery.

Nice try. You fail, again, liberal.

If it was called Philmont when you supposedly went face to face w/ a bear tell us again which state it was in. The republic of texas no longer exists.
Again, your public education fails you.

Here, let me explain. It is very simple, even for an idiot liberal.

Republic of TEXAS is a sovereign nation.
You “can not” annex a sovereign nation by a joint resolution.
Republic of TEXAS was annexed by a joint resolution, which renders that null and void legally.
Sovereign nations must be annexed by treaty.
Therefore the Republic of TEXAS is still a sovereign nation based on solid law, dating back to black letter written English law.

Now, roll that and smoke it with fakepole pal.

Smoking weed is not on my agenda but you seem to have an unseemly fascination w/ homoerotica that causes you to guess about many things, or is that another of your "well thought out theories based on many years of.........?
It’s based on you and fakepole showing back up here “together”. Males who show up together and troll on a site generally are…you know.

mike r

Does signing your name at the end of your posts satisfy your narcissism?

You make your educators proud, when unable to compete immediately resort to countering w/ homo and liberal,
Never said homo. All you liberals know is to lie..lie...lie, like your "Rules for Radicals" book teaches you, written by the Communist Saul Alinsky.

your debate skills are representative of those who think they live in a state that is a sovereign nation. I imagine you are their rep in the UN.
And again, we all know liberals completely ignore the written law, just like you just demonstrated right here. I gave you concrete evidence supported by written law, not my opinion, written law. You ignore written law, and we all know who ignore written law.

Fact: My debate skills, along with facts, written law, is exposing your ignorance.
Tell us some more about....that one summer in scout camp.
It was a great time, long before the scouts were infiltrated with the snowflakes.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i have had some close encounters with black bear, but have not with a grizz.
what captivates me is the choice of ammunition and the glock.
few years ago i was hunting in an area of colorado where the state said no grizz. this contradicted with my brothers in law, both cattlemen, that knew the area. They said not many, but they were there.

Although there are (unfortunately) no grizzlies in Colorado, I want you to keep saying that as loudly as possible--maybe it will dissuade a few Lifestyle Immigrants from moving to my state............

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I am not scared of carnivores. I just have no reason to hunt them or tempt their fury. I’ll never hunt or go near an animal that can eat me.

An old boy who did hunt bears in Alaska and hunted Africa twice said to me "You haven't hunted until you hunt something that can eat you"........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

smokepole…...ok.....have a good season...…..bob

You too Bob. Solo backpack hunt for me this year. I'll need to make sure my velcro sneakers are cinched down tight.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by kellory
Curiosity, from those who have faced bears, why is a pump shotgun with solid slugs or 00buck, not the preferred close in bear weapon? Fast handling, close in devastation, and a bead sight for fast sighting. Why choose a long range rifle for a close in job?

In my two posts here, I mentioned a shotgun that belonged to the guide that was in a scabbard on one side of his saddle while hunting caribou. It was indeed a short barreled Rem 870 12 Gauge shotgun - 20" iirc - and he had it loaded with slugs especially for close range bear encounters. He also had a 30-06 rifle in a scabbard on the other side of his saddle and I had a 7MM Rem Mag rifle for caribou. He never suggested the use of a rifle for either of us as the bear visibly approached the caribou kill from a distance.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by smokepole
[quote=Angus1895]No blame game here. And I have not read all the pages. But an observation.......

There is a definite downside to sticking an arrow in an Elk in the afternoon. Bone soured in the morning......plus a grizzly buffet!

Afternoon thermals can also be wish washy.

if the elk was shot in the afternoon, and gotten to the next day.....it was more than likely spoiled.......at that point you need to assume, a bear will be on it.......lets wait and see what smokepole has to say....he should be able to google...spoiled elk, and grizzly bear....and get back to us.....bob
The guide had to have known it was a 99.9% chance they would just find green meat.

The second thing I'd say is, you guys are a little off on your math to say there's 99.9% chance the meat is spoiled. Depends on the situation. I've only shot two elk in the evening and needed to come back in the morning to find them, how about you guys? Both of them were in archery season in Colorado, and the meat was good on both so I must be part of that mythical 0.01% group.
So you are 2 for 2 in wounding Elk where they both suffered through the night long enough to die just before you found them, is what "your own words" just proved.

You go William Tell. You're our Huckleberry.

And to top it off, when we got to one of 'em at first light, a big old black bear had just gotten there before us, ain't that something?
You're a great "story teller". You should write fiction. You've missed your calling, William.

"He is far from Stupid"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So you are 2 for 2 in wounding Elk where they both suffered through the night long enough to die just before you found them, is what "your own words" just proved.

Wrong slick, on both counts. What you don't know could fill volumes, and it looks like you're doing your best to fill 'em, right here.

Keep going, you're doing great.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I archery hunt elk in the am thermals almost exclusively.

Afternoons and warm September days are best pursuing meadow whitetails.........

Or perhaps flushing beavers outta the woodpiles.....

Too warm, too dark, no snow too track, too often will end in tears.

Plus 4 am comes mighty early, if you gonna ride in B4 daylight U. Gotta get up early to saddle up!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by BayouRover
Btw - I appologize.....I didn't realize that I was talking with Matt Dillon when I made the comments about short barreled handguns... my bad. It never came up in conversations, but I'm betting that my guide would have suggested that even Matt should leave his cavalry model 45 at home and to bring something with a shorter barrel. Maybe not....

I’m not Matt Dillon, but I can clear leather faster than Matt Dillon.
I’m not Wyatt Earp, but I can clear leather faster than Wyatt Earp.
I’m not Billy the Kid, but I can clear leather faster than Billy the Kid.

I’m the fastest gun alive.

BTW: Anyone who'd tell someone to look left and start filling the sky with lead, while a bear is around in the hope to scare off any "potential unseen bears", while hoping a real bear doesn't step out to maul their client to death while they reload from filling the sky with lead, is in fact a complete idiot.......even Matt Dillon would tell you that pard.

P.S. I didn't say "you", or your guide were a city slicker.....read.....read....read.

"He is far from Stupid"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Have at it...grin...

A "well aged" steak, is one that has started to decompose.
And for that matter, Europeans used to leave it exposed until it was "well hung" . Different folks like different tastes.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jimy
Curiosity, from those who have faced bears, why is a pump shotgun with solid slugs or 00buck, not the preferred close in bear weapon? Fast handling, close in devastation, and a bead sight for fast sighting. Why choose a long range rifle for a close in job?

Because a rifle is what we use to hunt elk.....bears are secondary.

But you are NOT hunting, you are recovering a dead animal, and watching out for carnivores.

And it is righteous to keep that firearm tucked deep in your pack when doing so...

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe you are being sarcastic. The weapon should be at hand.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Rancid is an aquired taste.

Next time, try bein engaged longer.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Wrong slick, on both counts. What you don't know could fill volumes, and it looks like you're doing your best to fill 'em, right here.

Keep going, you're doing great.
I know how to fill in the blanks, fakes like you leave wide open, and if you think you can escape knowledgeable Elk hunters with your line of tripe I have seen just in the past few weeks, you must have some good Kolorodee smoke.

"He is far from Stupid"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Have at it...grin...

A "well aged" steak, is one that has started to decompose.
And for that matter, Europeans used to leave it exposed until it was "well hung" . Different folks like different tastes.

This meat discussion has turned into this? We are talking about bone rotted meat on a mountain that does or doesn't smell like skunk or look like pudding, not controlled aged beef steaks. How many elk have you found the morning after Kellory?

Some of you guys love to tell everyone else how smart you are for no apparent reason. It's no wonder most of the good guys on this forum left. It's threads just like this ...

- Greg

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BayouRover
Btw - I appologize.....I didn't realize that I was talking with Matt Dillon when I made the comments about short barreled handguns... my bad. It never came up in conversations, but I'm betting that my guide would have suggested that even Matt should leave his cavalry model 45 at home and to bring something with a shorter barrel. Maybe not....

I’m not Matt Dillon, but I can clear leather faster than Matt Dillon.
I’m not Wyatt Earp, but I can clear leather faster than Wyatt Earp.
I’m not Billy the Kid, but I can clear leather faster than Billy the Kid.

I’m the fastest gun alive.

BTW: Anyone who'd tell someone to look left and start filling the sky with lead, while a bear is around in the hope to scare off any "potential unseen bears", while hoping a real bear doesn't step out to maul their client to death while they reload from filling the sky with lead, is in fact a complete idiot.......even Matt Dillon would tell you that pard.

P.S. I didn't say "you", or your guide were a city slicker.....read.....read....read.

You're not even close to understanding what I said. And no one was going to "fill the sky with lead" "in the hope to scare off any "potential unseen bears"", Matt. But please do carry on. You're doing great making it up as you go. laugh

I hope you sleep well tonight. I know that I will, but I'm not worked up because I'm clinging to a life boat over any of this...........

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Page 19 of 40 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
755 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 2,949 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.