Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
On the whitetails I kill, by tradition, I remove as much fat as possible. What about elk, do you eat or remove the fat? Also in south Texas we make caldo de res. Its basically Mexican beef soup. Much of it's flavor comes from beef shank marrow. Does anyone here eat elk marrow? captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I do remove as much of the fat as I possibly can. As for eating the marrow...with CWD in elk, I only eat the meat that can be cooked completely.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This might be an interesting discussion. I cut all fat/bone etc out due to how I was raised and taught. I have heard and seen some folks doing it more like beef as of late, including Steven Rinella on the Meateater show, as he has done shanks, marrow, etc.

Tagged for my education...

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ve always trimmed every little piece of fat off.

I might try something different this year.

https://honest-food.net/cooking-deer-fat/

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
CDC says that cooking CWD infected meat, bone, fat, or marrow does not destroy the prions that transmit the disease.

Rinella will eat most anything.....

Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I trim all the fat, the taste is off IMO. And marrow is a no-go for me, I've tried beef marrow and it's vastly overrated. Not something I'd go to the trouble of cutting up large bones for. Much less packing them out on my back.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I remove the fat. I save the fat and scraps when butchering freeze it for my dog. Great stuff for dogs

I cut up bones with saw . Freeze and make bone broth throughout the year with in using crockpot. I love marrow!

I eat heart tongue and liver too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Trim.

Why in the world would you load up your arterial system with additional animal fat? This seems like a no-brainer unless you’re looking for a heart attack...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Exactly ^^^^^^^^^^ this. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
We trim as much excess fat from our game as possible. Colorado Parks & Wildlife put out info that if the meat is well done or frozen for 72 hrs or longer the threat from CWD is eliminated. . One point about the rendered fat. If you are a bullet caster it is an excellent source to flux your alloy with.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hesp
Colorado Parks & Wildlife put out info that if the meat is well done or frozen for 72 hrs or longer the threat from CWD is eliminated.

That is not correct. Neither extreme heating nor freezing will harm the prions that cause CWD. I would like to see the source for your statement.

Last edited by mudhen; 09/19/18.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Elk fat sucks. Trim it off. I have eaten the marrow, it's ok, it can be tacky too but is pretty good out of a round steak. It's not any better than deer marrow.

I do feel sorry for people who are scared of animal fat though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mudhen
Colorado Parks & Wildlife put out info that if the meat is well done or frozen for 72 hrs or longer the threat from CWD is eliminated.

That is not correct. Neither extreme heating nor freezing will harm the prions that cause CWD. I would like to see the source for your statement.

Yup, that is bullschit.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Brad
Trim.

Why in the world would you load up your arterial system with additional animal fat? This seems like a no-brainer unless you’re looking for a heart attack...

We've moved on in nutrition from this outdated concept. Please join us.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I trim as much fat as I can off of elk ,deer,etc. Fat is the 1st thing that turns rancid,even in a freezer. If things go right,,I am usually eating elk,deer, antelope a year after I kill it.Although at present, due to no elk for two years, the freezer is getting low with only two antelope and three deer in it

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I trim all fat & remove all hair/fur @ butchering & remove silverskin before preparation.

No CWD in our area.

I do eat the bone marrow, via osso bucco or shanks !

[Linked Image]

Colour me delicious !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Originally Posted by mudhen

Yup, that is bullschit.

According to the University of Utah and many other sources:

Prions cannot be destroyed by boiling, alcohol, acid, standard autoclaving methods, or radiation. In fact, infected brains that have been sitting in formaldehyde for decades can still transmit spongiform disease. Cooking your burger 'til it's well done won't destroy the prions!
https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/basics/prions/

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 09/27/18. Reason: typo

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All our elk and deer get tested for CWD. Got my first 'positive' result last year on my buck.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife recommended double-bagging the processed meat and sending it to the landfill - which we did.

The disease-causing prions cannot be killed - they are not alive to begin with - they can only be destroyed. And they are very hard to destroy.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
All our elk and deer get tested for CWD. Got my first 'positive' result last year on my buck.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife recommended double-bagging the processed meat and sending it to the landfill - which we did.

The disease-causing prions cannot be killed - they are not alive to begin with - they can only be destroyed. And they are very hard to destroy.

Yeah prions are fascinating. They aggregate in spinal tissue and if I’m not mistaken, there is no evidence that CWD has been shown to cause disease in humans. Yet. So theoretically the risk of eating the meat is very very low...

Still. I admit. Even knowing that... it’d be hard to eat. Hope the Grand Canyon keeps it out of AZ. Ain’t nobody got time for that!

P.S.
That Osso Bucco looks rad 😎

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Brad
Trim.

That’s ain’t how it works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1minute, 1lessdog, 204guy, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,746
Posts18,457,767
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.