Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
How does the bisley grip compare to the standard grip on the Rugers? I would hate to buy another Ruger 44 mag or such just to hate it for beating hell out of my middle finger with the trigger guard and then sell it in a month.

BP-B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The Bisley with heavy calibers rotate in the hand different and better for me.

The Bisley Hunter is one of my favorites.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
It's great for guns that kick hard.

Whether it beats you up depends on your hands more than anything else.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Gibby
The Bisley with heavy calibers rotate in the hand different and better for me.

The Bisley Hunter is one of my favorites.

Ditto

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Night and day. The Bisley has its detractors, but when recoil goes up, the Bisley is much better suited to controlling it. Here is plow handle (SBH-type - bottom) and a Bisley for comparison.

[Linked Image]

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I think the plow handle actually looks better but it sure doesn't feel better when the recoil gets up there, at least for most of us. You can take a load that's really being uncomfortable in a regular Blackhawk & put it in a Bisley & you'll swear it's not even the same load.

Dick

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recently purchased a Ruger Bisley 45 colt and actually shot some heavy reloads this afternoon for its second outing...My Sasquatch hands agree it handles recoil much better but also puts my 3rd knuckle square against the back of the trigger guard .Even holding it extremely tight still smarts after a few shots. The pinky has to be off the grip for relief but part of the recoil control element seems compromised with that configuration.

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My 44 Mag heavy load is a 310gr WFN over 20.5gr H110. It gives 1250 fps in the SBH, and 1275 fps in the Bisley.

To me the recoil is a lot more manageable in the Bisley. Night and day difference. A little tap on the middle knuckle, but nothing at all like the SBH.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
I think the plow handle actually looks better but it sure doesn't feel better when the recoil gets up there, at least for most of us. You can take a load that's really being uncomfortable in a regular Blackhawk & put it in a Bisley & you'll swear it's not even the same load.

Dick

This has been my experience too, a world of difference in felt recoil with 300 grain .45 Colt +P Buffalo Bullet factory loads.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Bisley grip looks to extend up nearly into the center of the cylinder, which no doubt lessens the pounding your hand will take.

Plow handle stops at the bottom of the cylinder.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I had a bunch of Blackhawk standard or Super models before I bought a Bisley. Once I did, I always wished the previous models had been Bisleys too.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I basically have stuck with the plow handle. I've had a number of Bisleys, and the truth is they all hit my middle knuckle. Look at Flyboy Flen's picture and you can see when he drops the hammer the trigger guard is going to hit his knuckle. I use a band aid with the pad around on the corner of my knuckle and add a pair of elk skin gloves over that. I've used a plow handle for over 50 years and that's what I'm most used to. Bisleys don't really feel normal to me, but it does give you more to grip.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had good luck with the Ruger Bisley grip for heavy 45 Colt loads but I'd like to try it in a 480 before I buy one.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, the Bisley does tend to rap the middle knuckle of your shooting hand with heavier recoiling chamberings. The solution is a grip that better fits your hands. These are examples of custom grips for the Bisley made for my hand. Makes all the difference in the world.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Whitworth1; 09/19/18.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The Bisley grip beat up my middle finger knuckle. My brother was fine with it. He has bigger and stronger hands. I am better off with the unstylish ugly rubber Pachmyers grips that fill in behind the trigger guard.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I’d choose a double action before a Bisley.

29...or a Redhawk if I had to.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Yeah, the Bisley does tend to rap the middle knuckle of your shooting hand with heavier recoiling chamberings. The solution is a grip that better fits your hands. These are examples of custom grips for the Bisley made for my hand. Makes all the difference in the world.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very nice looking grips however I'm trying to understand how they would be more comfortable since the distance from the back of the trigger guard and overall length are the same as stock grips ?

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The grip fills your hand out and it limits movement. Plus, Jack Huntington (who did all of those grips) removes a little grip material that gives you more clearance. When I endurance tested the new .480 Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley, I had a knot on my middle knuckle from repeated contact. However, when I would shoot my .500 Maximum (with a Huntington modified and gripped Bisley grip frame) off the bench, the only time the trigger guard would make contact with my knuckle is if I didn't use enough grip tension. Otherwise, it wouldn't hit my knuckle at all. Doesn't seem like it would work, but it makes a world of difference.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Y' know ... it depends.

For me, with my hands, the Bisley grip definitely helps with heavy recoil but that help comes at a high cost. I simply can't obtain a comfortable grip, draw and fire a Bisley as quickly and accurately as I can a .44 Super Blackhawk with the short barrels and smaller grip with the rounded trigger guard. I don't need a Bisley grip for shooting .44 magnum. I appreciate it with .454.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
The grip fills your hand out and it limits movement. Plus, Jack Huntington (who did all of those grips) removes a little grip material that gives you more clearance. When I endurance tested the new .480 Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley, I had a knot on my middle knuckle from repeated contact. However, when I would shoot my .500 Maximum (with a Huntington modified and gripped Bisley grip frame) off the bench, the only time the trigger guard would make contact with my knuckle is if I didn't use enough grip tension. Otherwise, it wouldn't hit my knuckle at all. Doesn't seem like it would work, but it makes a world of difference.

After looking closer I can see wood relieved along the inside edge which would definitely help my issue.Thanks

Woody
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
472 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 40 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.