Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Flying out of Hartford to Boise next week on Delta with a gun case and duffel I've flown with before. It seems there's a new 62" size restriction (L+W+H). My gun case is 70.5" (53x13x4.5). Duffel full will be around 66". I can probably squeeze the duffel down but not the aluminum rifle case. Anyone get charged extra recently for this type of thing?

Thought I might buy a new one but the good ones are similar in size.

Last edited by Bill_N; 09/18/18.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have traveled by air with firearms many times. I've followed the rules and never had any problems.

Alaska Airlines Baggage Size Restrictions
- up to 63" = $25
- 63" to 115" = $75

Alaska Airlines Firearms Policies - Transporting firearms

A "firearm" is any weapon that will, or is designed to, or may be readily converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive, or the frame or receiver of any such weapon. This includes:

Sporting rifles, shotguns, and handguns
Handguns of authorized law enforcement officers while traveling on official duty
Starter pistols, compressed air or BB guns, and flare pistols
Antique firearms
Silencers/suppressors
All firearms must be unloaded and carried in a locked, hard-sided container where only the customer retains the key or combination.

The hard-sided case must be secured in such a way that it does not allow for accidental or unauthorized opening. Multiple locks may be required on some cases to ensure the case cannot be opened. Customers are not required to place locks in every available area on the case, as long as the case is secure.

We do not allow customers under age 18 to carry on or check a firearm.

Customers are required to present photo ID or claim checks at the baggage office to retrieve their shotgun or rifle case/box.

If you are connecting to another carrier with an international destination you will need to claim your firearm(s) and ammunition at the final Alaska Airlines destination and then check it directly with the receiving carrier.

If you are connecting to another carrier with a domestic destination you may need to claim your firearm(s) and ammunition at the final Alaska Airlines destination and then check it directly with the connecting carrier.

Firearms/shooting equipment
The following items may be included in your normal baggage allowance. Excess charges will apply for additional pieces of baggage. All items must be suitably packaged for transport.

One rifle case with rifles, scopes, one shooting mat, noise suppressors and small tools, or
One shotgun case with shotguns, or
One pistol case with pistols, noise suppressors, one pistol telescope and small pistol tools
There is no limit to the number or type of firearms (rifles/shotguns/pistols) per case. Different firearm types may be in the same case as long as each type is properly packed.

Ammunition
On Alaska Airlines flights 001-1999 and flights 2000-2999, up to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked. Customers checking in or connecting to Alaska Airlines flights 3300-3499 are limited to 11 lbs. of ammunition. Ammunition must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm. Spent ammunition shells will be accepted in checked baggage provided they meet the same acceptance procedures as live ammunition (e.g. packed in a crush-proof case)

Firearm declaration
Identify all bags containing firearms when you check in. Firearms must be unloaded. You will be asked to read and sign a special tag for each bag/container holding a firearm(s). This serves as your declaration that each weapon is unloaded and both weapons and ammunition are properly packaged. It is your responsibility to obtain all the necessary permits for any firearm checked between the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
At least AK Airlines is clear about the extra fees, so is Southwest.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for that information KC.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Those size restrictions have always been in place. Delta website used to specifically say that a single firearm case was allowed as part of normal baggage and not subject to fees. I did some looking and didn't see that currently.

He went over yonder way
IC B2

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I found their shipping reqts today and am going to bring a copy. Hope we're good...

Rifles and shotguns must be packaged as follows:
One hard sided case containing up to four rifles, shotguns, shooting materials, tools
The case must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. All areas designed to be locked must be locked.
Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted. Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage.
One hard sided case containing up to five handguns, one scope, tools
One bow and quiver of arrows and maintenance kit enclosed in a case or container strong enough to protect the bow and quiver from accidental damage
No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case
An excess baggage fee will apply if checking more than one gun case.

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
To follow up on this we had no problems with our double gun cases or large duffels under 50lbs being accepted without excess charges.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Glad to hear it. With all the nickle and dime charges the airlines are tacking on, it's getting so frustrating to fly these days. Hope your trip was successful.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART???
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Driftboater
Glad to hear it. With all the nickle and dime charges the airlines are tacking on, it's getting so frustrating to fly these days. Hope your trip was successful.

Last time I went to Alaska the lady asked, "How do you want to pay for that?" I told her, "I don't." She then said, "Okay. How are you going to pay for that?"

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Driftboater

I agree. Round trip airfare was close to $700. You'd think that would include a checked bag or two. It cost us both $60 each way for a double gun case and large duffel. Neither of us took an elk or deer. We saw a couple spikes and a raghorn early in the week and then the weather turned and it snowed on and off for the next 3 days and the elk hunkered down or something. That was pretty much it but we caught some salmon and steelhead and shot some chukars before we went in to camp. Great time overall! I will add that the Delta people we checked our bags with were excellent. I was nervous after reading their guidelines but it wasn't a problem.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

316 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 39 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,038
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.