Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Pozole.

Love it.

+1, regular dish for us made with roasted green chilies.

My wife grew up in the Springs. She has lots of family in NM and they turned me onto pozole. Love the stuff.

It’s about pozole weather in fact. Might cook up a batch this week.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My great grandmother used wood ashes in the process.
But I don't remember the details. I was 9 when she passed, 40 years ago.
Wish I had paid attention to what those folks knew. Much of it is mostly lost now.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dillonbuck- You remember Grammy’s (Aunt Emma’s) vittles?

Some diced beef, onion, potato, and Copes dried corn.....That’s what I recall anyway. Been many many years. Always loved it as a kid.

I bet it’s been near 30 years......

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never done it, and I may well be wrong,(again)
, I think you would soak ear corn in lye water, scrub the hulls off, cut the kennels off like sweet corn. And good rinse in there of course.
I was when my Mother and Grandmother made it, but they used shelled field corn, and put it in a large cast iron pot in the yard. We called it a wash pot, because they heated wash water in it most of the time. Anyway, wood ashes was used, but that is about all that I remember. That and getting yelled at for getting too close. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Miles, did the hulls just fall off?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I want to think so, but can't be sure. Possibly fell off when they stirred with a big wood paddle they had. Maybe sunk to the bottom. It was a long time ago, and I was young. miles

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Made with lye in the ashes then rinse the hulls off

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't remember eating at Aunt Emma's.
She usually rode down with Rose, sometimes to stay with us for a week.
She and Mother would run the wheels off. Mom would complain that she was
tired, and that old woman just kept going.

I do remember, when we visited, she alway had Hydrox cookies.
I might need to buy a box, just to sit and ponder.

Always liked visiting that generation. Sitting there in the space age, they could recall seeing their first car, and airplane.
Too bad the stories aren't recorded.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
can't recall exact details, i was too young and it was too long ago.

but, as faint memory recalls, burnt oak & hickory wood in fireplace. harvest the ashes to build a stockpile.

then in backyard with the black cast iron pot standing by, a contraption of sort was build up off the ground. the ashes were placed in the top part of the "still?" and allowed pure well water to drip through the ashes. the water would soak them. and then the drippings would be allowed to drain into a bucket sitting underneath the contraption.

that water was lye, i suppose. or a lye dilution. into the pot with the shelled, whole kernal hickory king corn (only this variety was allowed). it was very large kernels of white corn. it'd sit in the lye pot for a while, no idea how long, etc. but was stirred with a stick on occasion. dip the kernels out into a tub, and voluminous volumes of water to wash it off good, and into cans. salt was added during the canning. liquid was the base for the canned hominey. very good in the wintertime.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Dillonbuck- You remember Grammy’s (Aunt Emma’s) vittles?

Some diced beef, onion, potato, and Copes dried corn.....That’s what I recall anyway. Been many many years. Always loved it as a kid.

I bet it’s been near 30 years......

Haven't seen Cope's Dried Corn in a few years. Bet I could find it online. Used it for makin' chicken corn soup. Learned about that stuff when I lived in Harrisburg in '79. Seems every volunteer FD had a chicken corn soup feed to raise money in the fall. Probably to support the "club" downstairs where one could drink all night long, as it was a "private club". Private.......right! $5 to join the auxiliary! laugh

Dillonbuck. You'll look long and hard for Hydrox cookies. I believe they were discontinued a few years back.

Geno

PS, love hominy especially in Posole. That reminds me........Rubio's taco shop in town has posole on Fridays. I may have to go to town tomorrow!

Last edited by Valsdad; 09/13/18.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but, as faint memory recalls, burnt oak & hickory wood in fireplace. harvest the ashes to build a stockpile.

then in backyard with the black cast iron pot standing by, a contraption of sort was build up off the ground. the ashes were placed in the top part of the "still?" and allowed pure well water to drip through the ashes. the water would soak them. and then the drippings would be allowed to drain into a bucket sitting underneath the contraption.

that water was lye, i suppose. or a lye dilution.

Used to make soap too. miles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hominy was probably started to prevent Pellagra, Here is a paragraph from the link below.

Nixtamalization typically refers to a process for the preparation of maize (corn), or other grain, in which the corn is soaked and cooked in an alkaline solution, usually limewater (but sometimes wood ash lye, washed, and then hulled. This process is known to remove up to 97–100% of aflatoxins from mycotoxin-contaminated corn.
Nixtamalization miles

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I love it. I prefer Bushes yellow canned. Soften some onions diced garlic, and seeded jalapeños in butter, to taste. pore in drained hominy and stir fry till hot.

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
That sounds good!

I will check the store for some Hominy.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
I ate a lot of hominy at home growing up.

Actually prefer it to canned corn.

Good stuff!

Virgil B.

I'm with you, my Dad was from Iowa and he introduced it to Mom and us kids.
I still pick up a can or two of it when I am at the grocery store!

Ken

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My mom used to cook it for us from cans. She would fry some breakfast sausage patties and break them up. When they were well browned she would add the yellow hominy to the pan and cook it in the sausage grease. I liked it ok then. Without something to flavor it it would be like eating wax pellets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
That sounds good!

I will check the store for some Hominy.

Jim, I also like to dissolve a few slices of American cheese in it just before serving, adds a little extra flavor. Remember my mom would do that to hers.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 22 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.