Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 46 1 2 3 4 5 6 45 46
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looking great Scotty. I know you like your accuracy. I've been watching you post target pics even on the Nosler site for years. Join in on the fun here buddy. I'm thinking you'll do just fine. I do have some RL26 left from when I was loading for a 270. I may have to look into that, fo sure. Thanks!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Been a damn long day. Shooting was great though. Haven't been able to for about 2 months now because of the fires around here. Forests were shut down to shooting, which sucked. I've been dying to try my new 6.5 creed out too. Here are todays results. I said I'd post results and here they are. I'm pretty happy with the rifle/scope package as a whole. There seems to be some potential in the ol girl. These loads were not even from the best 5 shot group's charge wt. I wish I would have known this rifle likes to be loaded close to max. As it were, I loaded 15 rounds of each charge wt. Increasing each load by 1/2 grain increment, as per my usual. Since that gave me 3 charge weights at 15 shots each, that left me with the final charge wt with 5 shots. Suffice to say, that is the one that showed the most promise (my luck)...
Anyway, keep in mind: New rifle, new scope and mounting system, new brass, and working on loads:

Savage 12FV 6.5 Creedmoor
SWFA SS 16x42 mildot moa rifle scope
Burris steel mounts with Burris XTR lows
Accutrigger set to 2 pounds even
Action glass bedded and fore end stiffened with epoxy.

Load:
140gr. Hornady ELDM
H4350 powder
CCI 200 primers
New Starline brass
2.820" OAL (.020" off lands)

Rifle:
[Linked Image]

Range and target downrange at 100 yards from bench:
[Linked Image]

Target submission:
[Linked Image]
For reference the orange dot on the left is 3/4"...

Target with calipers on top of group for better measurement reference:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Check out the target, there are 2 different loads there. The funny thing, is 41.5gr. (book max) was the most promising, but I only loaded 5 of those. You can bet money, I'll be back to try this again with some once fired brass and some better worked up loads, by that time, the barrel will have a few more rounds downrange. I'm thinking this will easily be a "1 moa all day long" rifle here shortly...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Considering you shot it wrong handed, I'm impressed!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
😜

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Looks great bsa..did you let loose a few choice words at #8;)
How did you like the 16FF for the task?

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
Considering you shot it wrong handed, I'm impressed!

I'm just happy as hell to be able to get out and shoot again grin. What I like about this set up is it was a totally unproven rifle, scope, and loads. Now that we see it has potential, I'll use this target as a baseline and expect much better accuracy out of it next time. By the way, it took 2 shots to get it fairly zeroed (into the orange). I used factory American gunner ammo to do that.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Looks great bsa..did you let loose a few choice words at #8;)
How did you like the 16FF for the task?

Ha ha. You know what's funny, my buddy was watching through the spotter doing everything a buddy possibly can do to try and make you screw the shot up. He kept saying, don't screw it up. You know how it is. After that shot I looked over at him and smiled and said, "you know, I'm shooting this for a 24hr cf "1 moa all day long challenge ". He said, "I'm sorry man". I said no problem, "keep watching I'm going to put the last 2 in the orange grin. As far as the 16x42, it worked great: However, I don't know how well it tracks etc. Like I said earlier, it only took 2 shots to get zeroed. Glass quality seems good enough. One thing about it, is I'd never use it for hunting because it's extremely picky about focus/parallax adjustment. The scope is fairly easy to get behind though.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice job bsa. Glad you could get out there and scratch that itch!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by m1919
Nice job bsa. Glad you could get out there and scratch that itch!

Thanks buddy. One thing you guys probably noticed is the funny looking target. I was ill prepared in the target department!!! Generally I have plenty of these on hand. I'm printing some up as we speak. I was even chit out of luck for larger sight in targets. Had to shoot at the damn white sheet that is the backer for the shoot and see silhouette targets I use for my pistols. Good thing those shoot and see targets come with extra orange and black pasters. That's what I used for the left hand dot. crazy.. We'll get more official next time out..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not bad for one of those crappy ol' Savages & minimum load work so far.................. wink

How is the trigger? If'n ya'd quit yankin', you prolly would'a been under MOA.

MM

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Not bad for one of those crappy ol' Savages & minimum load work so far.................. wink

How is the trigger? If'n ya'd quit yankin', you prolly would'a been under MOA.

MM

Ha ha.. Yeah, you are right my friend. Lost focus on that #8 for sure. DAMMIT!!! The trigger is great. Set at 2 pounds even. The little lever in the middle is annoying though.. sick.. I heard some guys were switching to a Rifle Basix trigger in these, but not sure I want to do that. Will probably just try to get used to the accutrigger for now...

Speaking of minimal load work up, this is what I had to work with:
[Linked Image]

Believe it or not, this was the best 5 shot group target, AKA most consistent, right at book max. Next time out, I'll bring my chrono and more loads etc.. Maybe do some "proving" of some loads:
[Linked Image]

Only had 5 of those loaded up, so I had to make due with the others.. frown

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Took the challenge with two 10 round groups at 100 yards, but with two different factory ammos loaded with the 69 gr. Sierra Match King. The Black Hills on the top performed better:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; 09/16/18.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
Took the challenge with two 10 round groups at 100 yards, but with two different factory ammos loaded with the 69 gr. Sierra Match King. The Black Hills on the top performed better:

[Linked Image]

Nice shooting buddy. If this was shot with an ar or other similar black rifle, you should post results on the black rifle challenge thread as well. You should also let us know group size. Other pics are also required, like picture of rifle on a bench or bipod, sandbags and pic of range. Good shooting though.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

Nice shooting buddy. If this was shot with an ar or other similar black rifle, you should post results on the black rifle challenge thread as well. You should also let us know group size. Other pics are also required, like picture of rifle on a bench or bipod, sandbags and pic of range. Good shooting though.

The gun
Armalite chambered .223 Wylde
Leupold VX3i 4.5-15x40mm AO
[Linked Image]

For these groups I had the bipod off, the forearm resting on a bean filed sock and the pistol grip resting on a Caldwell rear rest so I could squeeze to get elevation
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice. I like your Armalite. I'm a fan of them, after using my ar10 for a while. Do you have calipers to measure your groups with? Looks like a solid 1.25 moa shooter from here. Have you shot the rifle while using the bi-pod? Mine groups pretty well with just that and a rear bag.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I plan on getting on this with the ARs after hunting season..

Here’s a 9 shot with the same load at 100.

[Linked Image]

It looks like your CM is a keeper BSA. It’s pretty hard to hate a little rifle that’s does this on command.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks damn good scotty. I knew you had some good ones.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The gun
Armalite chambered .223 Wylde
Leupold VX3i 4.5-15x40mm AO
[Linked Image]

For these groups I had the bipod off, the forearm resting on a bean filed sock and the pistol grip resting on a Caldwell rear rest so I could squeeze to get elevation

Nice - I have the same rifle, except for a standard A2 buttstock.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not a lot of shooting going on here. I can't remember how you guys shot your iron sighted rifles in the black rifle challenge, but I got a chance to shoot both my 6.5's today. One scoped and one iron sight. I wish I could have printed out the MR31 target earlier for the iron sight shoot, but instead, shot horribly at the black rifle challenge target. I assumed we had to have 2 10 shot groups on the same paper. Then I get back and check rules!!!! It doesn't look like that's the case, if you print out 2 targets for the iron sight rifle. I'll do that next time out. Here are the results. Ran a slightly different load (different charge wt. than last time) with the creed this time. Still trying to dial in a load for this one. Next time, I may try a different bullet, but as is, it's treading on the heels of moa... I shot rifles from the positions on the benches as shown. Left handed with scoped rifle and right handed with iron sight rifle...

Here are the rifles at the range:
[Linked Image]

The range @ 100 yards:
[Linked Image]

Target for 6.5 creedmoor: Scoped rifle:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Target for 6.5x55 Carl Gustav Swede: Iron sights:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
..... Continued from last post:

I wish I would have had a black bull because I was all over the place, trying to keep 2 separate groups on 1 piece of paper. I just printed out some of the MR31 targets and will use them next time, now that I know I can shoot at those. This was the last 10 shot group of the day with the swede on a proper iron sight target:
[Linked Image]

The Swede is a fun rifle to shoot. My first 3 shots to check to see that my new front blade was the right height went into close to 1 moa:
[Linked Image]

This was the first group of the day..

BSA MAGA
Page 4 of 46 1 2 3 4 5 6 45 46

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 7 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 748 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.