-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, that wasn’t my best. I can probably arrange that...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I’ll probly stager the 147 gr hard cast and the 147 gr gold dots. That’ll do it. The Buffalo bore 147 are designed to penetrate 4-5 ft, gold dots around 14”.

Last edited by Hammer2506; 09/19/18.

Fück Joe byron
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Partsman
They have been killed with a 22 one time by an old lady years ago

Partsman;
Good evening to you sir, I hope all is well in your part of our world tonight.

Since were here in ether space and if there's no photo, then it didn't happen.....

[Linked Image]

I want to say it's a Cooey even. wink

All the best to you and yours this fall Partsman.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Nice kill! Never underestimate a 22 rimfire.

Fück Joe byron
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
What would be the point of alternating between gold dots and cast bullets? I can think of no advantages to having every other bullet being one that’s designed for shallow penetration.

And coming from a guy whose killed a few grizzly bears and skinned a few more, I would probably choose a 9mm over some alternative choices. Those choices being my fingernails, a dull pocketknife, or a 25ACP. But when I fished and hunted in grizzly country if I chose to carry a handgun it was most often a 44. They are incredibly powerful animals and capable of soaking up a tremendous amount of lead if they decide they ain’t giving it up today.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bella Twin, the .22 Used to Take the 1953 World Record Grizzly, and More

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/be...d-record-grizzly-and-more/#ixzz5RbzZF3sn
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

On 10 May, 1953, Bella Twin was hunting small game with her partner, Dave Auger, along an oil exploration cutline south of Slave Lake, in Alberta, Canada. She was 63 years old.

They saw a large grizzly bear coming toward them. Wishing to avoid an encounter, they hid off the side of the cut.

But the bear kept coming closer and closer. The bear got so close that Bella Twin thought it less risky to shoot the bear than to not shoot it. It was probably only a few yards away. Some accounts say 30 feet. Perhaps she saw it stop and start to sniff, as if it had caught their scent. We may never know.

She shot at the side of the bears head. Knowing animal anatomy very well (she was an experienced trapper, and had skinned hundreds, perhaps thousands of animals) she knew exactly where to aim to penetrate the skull at its weakest point.

She shot, the bear dropped. It was huge. She went to the bear and fired the rest of the .22 long cartridges that she had, loading the single shot rifle repeatedly, to “pay the insurance” as Peter Hathaway Capstick said. She made sure the bear was dead, and not just stunned. My father taught me the same lesson when I was 13.

Here is a picture of the bear's skull and the .22 caliber holes in the left side.

Pictures in link

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/be...d-record-grizzly-and-more/#axzz5RbyJGqPp

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Sometimes it takes a fatally wounded large bear a number of minutes before it comes to the realization it's supposed to lay down and die. During that period of time, you will be in a fight to survive. 14 inch 9mm hollow point wound channels just make big bears vengefully angry unless you luckily place one round in the nervous system. My advice is big hard cast bullets that penetrate deep and shatter bones. I think 44 mag with 300 grain or a bigger caliber handgun is a minimum. If opting for a shotgun, go with copper sabot slugs. The best choice is a large caliber rifle.

Big griz can be packing 14" or more of fat throughout their body prior to hibernation. That depth of fat will absorb most handgun hollow point rounds before they reach something vital.

Last edited by Lennie; 09/19/18.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
Nice kill! Never underestimate a 22 rimfire.

Never overestimate it either....

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
TheKid, You don’t know much about ammo I see from your ignorance in your posts, why don’t you read the reviews and watch some videos on penetration tests before you post, check out the buffalo bore 147 gr description over at midway if you know what that is.

Last edited by Hammer2506; 09/20/18.

Fück Joe byron
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Thekid,

My “25ACP” post was pure sarcasm, sorry, I thought it was obvious. Next time I’ll use the sarcasm font. -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I almost wish the fire had a like button
This is one of those posts that has some amusing comments

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TomT
Thekid,

My “25ACP” post was pure sarcasm, sorry, I thought it was obvious. Next time I’ll use the sarcasm font. -TomT

Oh don’t worry I didn’t take you seriously, was in fact agreeing with you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Didn't Phil Shoemaker do that last year?

Hellofaman

With hot, hard cast, lead rounds.

But the real question is:

Was he carrying with a hot chamber?

laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Elmer Keith recommended big bore rifles and to use them to take out the shoulders to stop a Griz charge.

In my opinion, it's possible to stop a griz charge with a 9mm about 1 out of 50,000 times.

The other 49,999 times the people attempting to do so will leave this world as a decomposing bear turd.

Elmer Keith recommended big bore rifles for squirrel hunting.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Y’all obviously haven’t seen how the gold dots penetrate and expand lately.

I shot a feral pig in the side of the head at 5 - 6 feet with a 9mm 124 Gold Dot and it ricocheted off the skull. At the same distance, 45 ACP with 200 grain XTP penetrated deeply and made a hole the size of a golf ball.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by jeffbird

I shot a feral pig in the side of the head at 5 - 6 feet with a 9mm 124 Gold Dot and it ricocheted off the skull. At the same distance, 45 ACP with 200 grain XTP penetrated deeply and made a hole the size of a golf ball.

SSSHHH, he doesn't want to hear stuff like that.............

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Some people don't want to hear the truth, they want to hear that what they believe is the truth.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H

I smell BS, you must have shot it right down side the skull.

Fück Joe byron
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk

SSSHHH, he doesn't want to hear stuff like that.............

Damn right I know what I’ve experienced and tested, many different rounds and know what works.

Fück Joe byron
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I smell BS, you must have shot it right down side the skull.

Just reporting first hand results responsive to the question. I have had the opportunity to shoot a lot of pigs over the last several years, most with 175 SMK’s. About to go put some deer with feral pig sausage in the pan right now. smile

For your viewing pleasure, the weak sister 308 with 175 SMK’s. My young nephew provides the narration.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 55 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,929
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.