Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Looking for a new setup. Used a Thumler with walnut and corncob media enough to wear out the motor once upon a time. What’s the hot ticket these days?

Thanks,

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I used to use a vibratory with walnut and corn cob, when SS pins became the rage I tried them. I didn't like sifting the media when using walnut or corn cob nor did I like getting the SS pins out of the primer pockets when they lodged in there sideways. I now use a Frankford Arsenal tumbler with hot water, Dawn dish detergent and Lemi-shine. Set it for 3 hrs. and walk away, when done dump the water and rinse and dry. Much simpler and no media/pins to sift or replace(media), cases come out clean although not with the jewelry like sparkle the pins produce.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I used to use a vibratory with walnut and corn cob, when SS pins became the rage I tried them. I didn't like sifting the media when using walnut or corn cob nor did I like getting the SS pins out of the primer pockets when they lodged in there sideways. I now use a Frankford Arsenal tumbler with hot water, Dawn dish detergent and Lemi-shine. Set it for 3 hrs. and walk away, when done dump the water and rinse and dry. Much simpler and no media/pins to sift or replace(media), cases come out clean although not with the jewelry like sparkle the pins produce.

Do you use a rotary tumbler?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes, the Frankford Arsenal is a rotary tumbler.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If the pins are the proper size, they won't get stuck in the primer pocket or flash hole. Worst case they can clump a bit in a bottleneck case, but a tap or two empties them right out.
You can use the same type of media sorter sifter as for corn cob. Just put it over a 5 gallon bucket and it catches all the pins

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by KenMi
If the pins are the proper size, they won't get stuck in the primer pocket or flash hole. Worst case they can clump a bit in a bottleneck case, but a tap or two empties them right out.
You can use the same type of media sorter sifter as for corn cob. Just put it over a 5 gallon bucket and it catches all the pins

Agree. It's not that big of a deal for the great results you get.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Where do you buy the "proper size" pins?

D
DBC Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Gunswizard, I bought mine at https://shop.guntap.com/. Diameter 0.047" x Length 0.255" (specs aren't hard to find if you click the link I provided). Made in USA.

Last edited by DBC; 09/18/18.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Not concerned with the diameter, it's the length that makes them stick crosswise in the primer pockets. What length is short enough so that this won't happen?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just clean with spent primers still in the case. I used to spend a lot of time poking around in primer pockets with a small Allen wrench until I figured out there was a better way.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I always decap first. Pockets come out cleaner than by any method of cleaning after. Never had one pin stuck in a flash hole or pocket, small or large.
Got mine here:
https://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com
.047x.255 pins. Might be some of the same size on ebay

Tried the Guntap detergent and it was absolute crap. Left the brass sticky like pine tar. They put some kind of wax or polymer crap in it. They blamed it on my tumbler or using too much, but that is BS. Went back to Lemi and dish soap. Took about 3 times to get all that residue off the pins and tumbler. Now it works great again.

Last edited by KenMi; 09/18/18.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a Thumbler’s. It works great, haven’t had any stuck pins. Makes silver coins like new.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, the Frankford Arsenal is a rotary tumbler.

Thank you. I’ll have to give that a try.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Mine is the Lymann 1200 Pro. Got it from Cableas on sale.I use the Lymann media as well. I don't do a lot of reloading but sure don't have any issues with this set up.

Camp is where you make it.
D
DBC Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
No fancy Thumler here - just a cheap Chicago Electric from harborfreight.com. Works for me. Though I am probably limited in capacity relative to many (all?) Thumler models. No big deal since I am a low volume shooter/reloader.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Not concerned with the diameter, it's the length that makes them stick crosswise in the primer pockets. What length is short enough so that this won't happen?

Look at the dimensions posted. What kind of primer pockets are you cleaning that would let a 1/4" long pin get stuck in?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Thumbler I use for rifle brass. Also has a RCBS rotary I use for pistol brass. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I was cleaning LR/LP, never measured the pins they were what came with the Frankford Arsenal tumbler. Got tired of prying them out of primer pockets and went to hot H2O, Dawn & Lemi-shine and have been satisfied with that so it doesn't matter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use the RCBS rotary tumbler. I haven’t had a pin stuck yet. I also use the Lyman separator pans along with the Frankford Arsenal magnet. Dry everything in the sun. Plenty of that in south east Texas. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have been using the RCBS vibratory case cleaner with walnut shell media for years. Was not particularly happy with results and was thinking about upgrading to Thumlers and pins. I did some research and tried used dryer sheets and a tablespoon of lacquer thinner or mineral spirits and results have been so good I don't think about upgrading anymore. Have not replaced the media in years. About all I have to do is clean the bowl every few months.

Good luck and shoot straight all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.