Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ajmorell
Originally Posted by JMR40
The Tundra compares very closely to a gas 3/4 ton.

The Tundra isn't a 3/4 ton, please stop perpetuating that information. It's no closer to a 3/4 ton than an F-150 or Silverado 1500 (or Ram 1500, etc)

Exactly.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ajmorell
Originally Posted by JMR40
The Tundra compares very closely to a gas 3/4 ton.

The Tundra isn't a 3/4 ton, please stop perpetuating that information. It's no closer to a 3/4 ton than an F-150 or Silverado 1500 (or Ram 1500, etc)

Exactly.
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
Lots of hate here for the tundra...

I think you're mistaking "hate" for facts.

Why would you say someone is hating the tundra because it won't pull as good as a 3/4 ton diesel? News flash...it won't! It's not a 3/4 ton and it's not a diesel. It's an outdated gas motor. My 2014 Ram has more HP than the Tundra. I love the tundra's. Until I had this Ram, my Tundra was my favorite truck I had.

What 10 horsepower more and it is still a very dated pushrod engine.? Outdated LMAO

No 10hp isn't going to make or break it. But it isn't using 4.30 gears to get a tow rating for some that is probably shouldn't be towing. There are quite a few comparison's out there that show the Tundra coming in second to last, ahead of only the Titan. The big 3 win nearly every time.

The Tundra will tow what any other 1/2 ton out there should be towing....hell it towed the space shuttle. grin

All joking aside, I have a 2011 Tundra and a few friends have various other makes of 1/2 tons that we all bought around the same time. My Tundra is plain and simple holding up better than the competition and they have all finally started to admit it. Mine has not been in the shop for anything other than oil changes and tire replacement/rotations. Sadly the others can't say the same. Hopefully the newer/updated Tundra will have some updates to bring it closer to the competition.

My '06 was great. I don't remember any issues I had with it. My 2014 Ram is great as well. I'm finally due for breaks at 118K. Which would be about the 3rd set if I was using the fords I had before.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I will be the first to say I am not a ford fan at all so take this with a grain of salt, and in reality applies to any of the 5 major half tons, (titan, tundra, 150, silverado, ram) BUT I do shake my head when people think that because Ford says it can tow 12k pounds, lets do it....12000 pounds pushing around a 5k truck - no thanks!

My Tundra is rated to 10k - would never put 10k on there and tow it around. Now 70-80 percent of that (7-8k) you bet - I think any half ton is well served with that principle.

Heck, my 2016 Ram 3500 was rated to 17,200 pounds, but to me, that much weight needs a dually for nothing more than stability.

As to the Tundra - outside of towing and payload - it is a very well built, finely put together truck. Finishes are top notch, I don't have squeaks or rattles. Rarely do you ever hear about engine or transmission leaks with these trucks. They are truely designed and built to be 200k plus trucks.

Last edited by Hiaring8; 07/24/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most of the Tundras sold are short or standard beds. But look at the long beds. We almost bought one 5 or 6 years ago. It has one huge advantage - it's available with a 38 gal gas tank. In a 4 door 4x4, the payload is 1600lb and the towing is 9800lb. They advertise to suburbanites who very rarely want a long bed. You're more likely to see them on farms or construction projects.
When towing heavy, the extra length helps stabilize the load. It's less apt to sway.

We didn't buy it because the payload is too marginal. I wanted it to haul a stock rack and a bunch of llamas plus pull a camp trailer. That's right at the capacity and I don't want to be that close.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ll look hard at the Tundra again in the future if they make some much needed changes to it. After owning 3 Tundras and then owning the new F150 it’s really a huge difference. A properly tuned transmission with more gears, more speed and torque and significantly better fuel mileage are all huge factors. Add in a more refined interior and technologically current entertainment system, the Tundra is simply just outdated. Good trucks but not the best in any category other than reliability warm and fuzzies.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

A good friend who I coach youth baseball with is a Sales Manager at our local Toyota dealership...2020 models are suppose to get a facelift, engine update, and new transmission...change is coming.

I wish they would hurry up!!!! I'm still driving my 2007 that has had absolutely no problems and is in excellent condition, but I'm ready for an upgrade to accommodate changing needs and lifestyle. I've been hearing since 2014, that the next generation with better mileage was coming. Just can't justify the cost of upgrading right now when the one I have runs fine and isn't requiring any maintenance expenses. Lightly used models in my area are sky high too.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
....... it is a very well built, finely put together truck. Finishes are top notch, I don't have squeaks or rattles. Rarely do you ever hear about engine or transmission leaks with these trucks. They are truely designed and built to be 200k plus trucks.

Yep. See my comments above. Their reputation is holding the used market prices up. 10-15 years ago, I wouldn't have considered buying a used 1/2 ton truck of any brand with more than 50k miles, as it was half used up, but today I'd buy a Tundra with 100k on it and have no concerns.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I didn't have as good of luck as you guys with my '14 Tundra 1794 Crrew 4x4. Yes, it was well built, but at 42k I had a cold start valve (don't remember the real name) go out, and had the navigation/sound system replaced at 60k. I've had multiple Z71's and F150's hold up better.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our 2012 just turned 186K. So far, we have done nothing other than scheduled maintenance and buying tires. Living in the middle of nowhere, most of our miles are highway miles, but a lot of our local roads are poorly maintained gravel or just the country graded into a pile. I have used it on every hunting trip that I have made since we bought it, and have done a lot of rock crawling on ranch roads and two-tracks. My wife is harder on it than I am, driving to the end of poorly maintained mountain roads to get to places that she wants to photograph or paint. She has managed to ruin two good 10-ply rated tires, while I have never had a flat. smirk

When it's time for a new one, we will be buying another one.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The only thing I want to see out of the tundra is a crew cab with the 6'6" bed....They could keep everything the same but offer this and I would trade in my truck tomorrow.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I don't understand why there are those here that constantly debate the Tundra vs 3/4 or diesel. The Tundra was never designed to be or compete with a 3/4 truck, It was however designed to be the best 1/2 ton truck out there. when introduced in 07 it was far ahead of the others, over time they have caught up and some think passed it up, except in one area, reliability. Why does the Tundra hold the highest resale in all 1/2 ton trucks??

I bought an 07 in October of 07 and it now has 130,000 completely trouble free miles, I don't baby it either, it has towed, hauled and had it's fair share of 4x4 miles, never a problem. when they redesign the truck I will buy another, why? They are good trucks and I don't have to run back to the dealer for expensive repairs.

My biggest gripe with the Tundra is the lack of a rear locker, hopefully the new design will have that option, better yet would it would be offered in both ends.

I have an old 2500 Cummins for the heavy stuff but for normal trailers and everyday driving the Tundra gets it done without complaints.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I've got a 2016 Tundra 4x4 and a 1999 dodge/cummins ram 2500. The tundra has 381 HP, the Dodge has 235 HP. The dodge will out tow it all day, every day, no question, it's not even close.

The Tundra is a strong truck but it IS a half ton, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I'm not too enamored with Ford lately but if you have to use a half ton to tow in the mountains then the ecoboost is probably better due to the turbo, it won't lose as much power at altitude as the normally aspirated 5.7 in the Tundra.

Yup. I love my 2016 Tundra (wouldn't trade it for any other 1/2 ton on the market), but my '02 2500 CTD pulls heavy stuff way better in all ways. Not a knock on the Tundra or 'hate', just the reality. Different tools for different jobs.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The only 1/2 ton I favor is a Tundra. I just don’t need my 2015 anymore, but it’s my favorite half ton ever and 2nd Tundra.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mine is a 2010 DC with almost 65K on it, have a 3-2 lift, Bilstien 5100's, air bags with daystar cups and some other stuff. It tows my 01 Prowler 27X bunk TT everywhere i want to go with it. As mentioned before fuel economy loaded or empty not spectacular but comparable to other 1/2 tons. I average 16 to 16.3 empty, drove a 2018 F150 (not mine) on a 2000 mile trip to Yellowstone and back home, just a couple weeks ago, mileage varied from 17.1 to 19.5. ECO mode was worse for economy than the sport mode. I do not think it is any more quite or comfortable than my Tundra. Front seats anyway, back seat not even close, Tundra has MUCH better brakes and the motor does not stop running at every stoplight.......absolutely hated that BS.

Transferflow makes a 46 gallon fuel tank that is on my list of need to get items. Auburn Gear has a limited slip rear diff, or just get ARBs front and rear. I don't mind spending some money on items that make the vehicle more useable cause i don't trade every few years.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For all those that call the 07 and newer Tundras 1/2 tons, don't move to Texas with one! When you register it, it will be registered as , guess what a 3/4 ton! Manufacture's payload is above the limit set by the state for a 1/2 ton. I own a 07 and it has been registered as a 3/4 ton since day one.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by hitandmiss
Tundra has MUCH better brakes and the motor does not stop running at every stoplight.......absolutely hated that BS.

You know you can shut that off right?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not at first, did not read the book, just hopped in the bad boy and took off. The folks that own it are 7 decades young and are themselves learning about it. Drove them from AZ to their sons ranch outside Riverton WY. We spent a week up in that area, country looked a lot like AZ, except no trees.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reba
Thinking about a Tundra 4x4.

Will it tow a 7,000 pound travel trailer up and down the steep grades of the Rockies with ease.

What about towing mirrors?

At the present time I tow with a 2003, 7.3 Super Duty.

Thanks

I've got a 2008 Tundra Double Cab 5.7L 4x4 and it has ZERO problem towing my 28' rig up and over Hoosier Pass and Vail Pass.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I am considering a Tundra to replace my diesel Ford. Any idea what your trailer weighs? How is the mileage empty and towing? Do you have towing mirrors or are they really necessary? Any and all info welcome.

Looking at an SR5, 5.7 double cab.

Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
I am considering a Tundra to replace my diesel Ford. Any idea what your trailer weighs? How is the mileage empty and towing? Do you have towing mirrors or are they really necessary? Any and all info welcome.

Looking at an SR5, 5.7 double cab.

Thanks.

I don't have towing mirrors but wish I did. My trailer is a 28 foot vintage Silver Steak and it weighs 6,500 lbs dry. I've got the SR5 Double cab with the tow/haul package that includes the tranny cooler. I can't even feel the trailer going over Hoosier Pass. (But I can feel it going down! Grateful for those oversized brakes for sure)

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (16Racing, 163bc, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.