Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Sevens Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Curious to hear everyone’s input on this as I’m debating between the two options below in 300 Win Mag. Actions are being chosen because of the CRF.

Option 1:
M70 Action, preferably with the old style trigger.
Something like a Lilja #2 barrel
McMillan Edge Stock

Option 2:
Kimber Montana

The Kimber basically checks all the boxes, even comes threaded with a muzzle break. Only downsides are the trigger is a box housing design and the LOP is a little short (would probably add a spacer or longer pad to fix). I also know that it’s going to be way cheaper than the M70 build route.

Goal is to have a sub 8 pound when scoped 300 win mag for general purpose hunting. Is there any benefit to building a custom on a M70, aside from having something unique and personalized, when the Kimber is, more or less, already that?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Your scope choice will have a significant impact upon whether you can make weight with the Winchester. If you are planning a LRHS weight category scope, make life easier and go kimber. Otherwise, either will work and you already know the cost differential.

300 wm is where I start to really notice recoil. I think the kimber is a fantastic stock, but the 300 wsm is about where I draw the line on the 8400. 300wm and 338 wm really get my attention in that platform.

Keechikid may weigh in as he bought a very nice 300 wm in an Echols legend here a few months back which met your weight criteria. If I were going m70 and had time to wait, that is the route I would go (legend in edge.)

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My 300 H&H comes pretty close to what you're planning, it's a pre 64 M70 action, Lilja #2 @24" Echols legend stock, factory BM and with a swaro Z3 3-10x42 on top in comes in at 7 3/4 lbs, shoots and handles wonderful.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

From their respective home pages, each in 300wm

Win 70 fwt - 7lbs-4oz
Montana 6lbs-13oz

A Win 70 fwt in 300wm is only 7 oz heavier than a Kimber Montana. If you swap out for an Edge or Banser, I'm betting you're looking at equal weight for both, which is something I would not have guessed. Someone more knowledgeable may know, but I'm guessing the factory wood stock is around a 1/2lb heavier. Your Lilja #2 will add a few ounces, but if you go blind mag with the Win 70, you're probably close to even again.

Personally, I'd start searching GB for an older Win 70 with the original trigger.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by minengr

From their respective home pages, each in 300wm

Win 70 fwt - 7lbs-4oz
Montana 6lbs-13oz

A Win 70 fwt in 300wm is only 7 oz heavier than a Kimber Montana. If you swap out for an Edge or Banser, I'm betting you're looking at equal weight for both, which is something I would not have guessed. Someone more knowledgeable may know, but I'm guessing the factory wood stock is around a 1/2lb heavier. Your Lilja #2 will add a few ounces, but if you go blind mag with the Win 70, you're probably close to even again.

Personally, I'd start searching GB for an older Win 70 with the original trigger.

Yes, I would think that bedded into a McMillan, a model 70 would be superior except for new trigger

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I owned a Kimber Montana in 270wsm. It shot poor groups before I sent it back to Kimber.
They did nothing but provided a three shot target at 1.25” and said it was in spec. It was a 50 yard group.
Sold it, and never looked back or at another Kimber.

NRA Patron
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Can't tell you 'your' right answer...only mine. Definitely less money to go with the Kimber if it matters...yet so special to have your own. This rifle weighs 7#'s as it sits. Will hit 8 with the scope...It's only a pussycat 6.5 SAUM, not sure how much lighter you really need to be on a 300 Win Mag. I guess the answers depend on how much you hate your money and how much you hate your shoulder.

[Linked Image]

and just to show this is not a 'moment of weakness', here is the other Winchester, this one a 6.5 CM I've hunted for a few years...do what's in your heart. It's just rifles, man.

[Linked Image]

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you can wait a semi custom M70 is what I would do probably go with a Bartlein "0" contour but I wouldn't try to get the weight down too much less than eight pounds which I think is about right for a magnum rifle.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Does it absolutely have to be a 300 WM? I have a Montana in 300 WSM, and as AKwolverine noted, recoil is quite manageable in that rifle.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a Model 70 XTR Stainless in 300 win mag 26" barrel which I just found in a not so local gunshop that is unfired. It is 1992 manufacture and weighs 7lbs 8 ounces. I am going to put it in a Bansner Model 70 stock(when I can find one) add one piece aluminum bottom metal and call it good. Factory tupperware weighs 31.5 ounces . So far I am 540 bucks into it .

I was looking long and hard at a Kimber 8400 338 that was lightly used and decided against it .

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Win for sure............not really even a close decision, IMO.

I have a M-70 Sporter w/24" barrel in an Edge Compact Classic with Conetrol mounts & a Leupold 2.5x8 & it weighs 7 lb 15 oz.

Using a FWT action & a lighter contour barrel & a reasonable scope & mounts will get you there.

MM

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by handwerk
My 300 H&H comes pretty close to what you're planning, it's a pre 64 M70 action, Lilja #2 @24" Echols legend stock, factory BM and with a swaro Z3 3-10x42 on top in comes in at 7 3/4 lbs, shoots and handles wonderful.

Yep, excellent choice there. I also have a semi custom pre 64 built on the H&H receiver, that is now a 338WM. The thing is 8 pounds all up and drives tacks. When I had the Swaro 3-9x36, it was 7 3/4 pounds. That's right around the weight the OP is looking for. A light barrel and stock make a lot of difference when it comes to lightening a model 70. Forgot to mention my 338 wears a Brown PoundR, which is very light and rigid. The ergo's of the stock really help to mitigate the recoil of the magnums. One warning I have about using a hunter's compact edge. They really don't help to soak up magnum recoil... A stock's comb that is more parallel to the axis of the bore, and with less drop, usually mitigates recoil better. Kimber has a really well designed stock, very similar to the brown poundR, I use on my 338..:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You could always try a Bansner on a model 70 as well, they have similar ergo's as the kimber montana stock:
[Linked Image]

As for just going out and buying a Kimber montana, well you takes your chances there.. However, some guys here have been pretty good at rolling the dice lately... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by westside_benny
Can't tell you 'your' right answer...only mine. Definitely less money to go with the Kimber if it matters...yet so special to have your own. This rifle weighs 7#'s as it sits. Will hit 8 with the scope...It's only a pussycat 6.5 SAUM, not sure how much lighter you really need to be on a 300 Win Mag. I guess the answers depend on how much you hate your money and how much you hate your shoulder.

[Linked Image]

and just to show this is not a 'moment of weakness', here is the other Winchester, this one a 6.5 CM I've hunted for a few years...do what's in your heart. It's just rifles, man.

[Linked Image]

Nice rifles..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sevens
Curious to hear everyone’s input on this as I’m debating between the two options below in 300 Win Mag. Actions are being chosen because of the CRF.

Option 1:
M70 Action, preferably with the old style trigger.
Something like a Lilja #2 barrel
McMillan Edge Stock

Option 2:
Kimber Montana

The Kimber basically checks all the boxes, even comes threaded with a muzzle break. Only downsides are the trigger is a box housing design and the LOP is a little short (would probably add a spacer or longer pad to fix). I also know that it’s going to be way cheaper than the M70 build route.

Goal is to have a sub 8 pound when scoped 300 win mag for general purpose hunting. Is there any benefit to building a custom on a M70, aside from having something unique and personalized, when the Kimber is, more or less, already that?

M70 - and definitely with the NH trigger..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The advantage to going with the Winchester is you stand a better change that it will shoot well. Kimber does put out shooters but they have a well known reputation for spotty accuracy. I've debated this exact scenario except I want a 280 ackley. I'm a big fan of model 70s but have had concerns that it would end up too heavy

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Everyone gets hung up on the NH trigger. Great design in theory, but in practice they where made of cheap cast parts and really suck. Even after you have a good Smith like Redneck work them over they are nothing special. On my Classics I always run Jewell triggers. I currently have 5 digit classics, 6 digit classics and an early BACO gun in my possession. It's no contest on which is the better gun quality wise-the BACO by a mile.
A model 70 EW in 300wsm is the perfect blend of weight and balance IMO. I have and would take one over a Kimber any day of the week.

Last edited by BWalker; 10/02/18.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I really like pre-64 and, especially pre-war Winchesters. I have built a lot of rifles based on these actions and some of them, I really liked. Having said this, a friend of mine has a little Kimber and, if I was starting over, I'm not sure I would build myself a rifle at all. It is light, slim, balances well and carries well. One of these in 308 would do anything I need a hunting rifle to do. It wasn't that many years ago that you could not have given me one but today, anyone who would like to give me one is welcome to do so. The slim action makes possible a slim stock which makes a rifle which is much nicer to carry.
As far as triggers are concerned; the fewer parts, the better the trigger, in my view. In the end, if the trigger works, it's a good trigger. GD

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If the kimbers weren’t so hit or miss, it would be a no brainer. That being said, I’m putting together a classic stainless featherweight in a blind mag edge stock. Will post up what it weighs when it’s finiahed.

Last edited by Jackalope; 10/03/18.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My M70 SS Featherweight 30-06 in a Mc Edge, weighs 6 pounds 8 and 1/2 ounces with Warne bases and no scope. With the Minox ZE1x5x24 IR scope (17 ounces) ( for drive hunts) and Recknagel tactical rings mounted, the rifle tips the scales at 7 pounds, 13 and 3/4 ounces. Perfect for me. RJ

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jackalope
If the kimbers weren’t so hit or miss, it would be a no brainer. That being said, I’m putting together a classic stainless featherweight in a blind mag edge stock. Will post up what it weighs when it’s finiahed.

What are you using for a trigger guard?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
762 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 87 invisible), 2,836 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.