Print Thread
Hop To
P
Port Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P

I need a stock and have a friend trying to sell my his Butler Creek. I know they're not a B&C or McMillan, but are they any good for a cheap stock? Apparently they have steel pillars integrated into them. Apologies if this is something that should be in the GunSmithing forum....

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/64...ynthetic-black

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have two, both on FN Mausers. I roughed up the inside in the recoil lug area and about two inched of the breech end of the barrel,then glass bedded. On the .270 I used Accraglass to fill the hollow forearm and buttstock. Came out a bit too heavy but the rifle shoots very nicely so I'll leave it as is.

The 30-06 is just an unchanged J.C. Higgins M50 that was given to me by a late friend before he passed. I did the same method of glass bedding but used some of that fast expanding foam to fill out the forearm and butt stock. Came out noticeably lighter that the .270. The .270 has a 24? Barrel and the 06 a 22" barrel. I did the 06 over 5 years ago and it is holding up just fine.

Interesting, I didn't even know Butler Creeks stock were still available. I could use a couple more.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just checked, I guess they're not available anymore. BUMMER!
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
They are actually pretty good for what they are. Once you get them set up right, they are about as good as stocks coating a lot lot lot more.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If Butler Creek isn't available, perhaps Champion, what used to be Ramline, would work for you.

www.ramlinestocks.com

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the Butler Creek/Champion stocks are much better than a Ramline. The Butler Creek/Champions have been available lately at Midway, Numrich Arms, and Sarco that I know of. All places were under $100.00. The only difference between the old Butler Creek stocks and the Champion are the way the hinged floorplate releases. They are the former Charles Daley stocks.

The guys were just talking about those stocks on Mauser Central.

Good luck,
Ken

Paul, PM me and I will explain better that what I just did! grin

Last edited by kennymauser; 09/19/18.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kennymauser
I think the Butler Creek/Champion stocks are much better than a Ramline. The Butler Creek/Champions have been available lately at Midway, Numrich Arms, and Sarco that I know of. All places were under $100.00. The only difference between the old Butler Creek stocks and the Champion are the way the hinged floorplate releases. They are the former Charles Daley stocks.

The guys were just talking about those stocks on Mauser Central.

Good luck,
Ken

Paul, PM me and I will explain better that what I just did! grin

Champion = Ramline, not Butler Creek.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No you're wrong.

Ramlines are the somewhat shiny stocks with the skip line checkering. The Butler Creek originally made in Montana , then used by Charles Daly, became Champion after Charles Daly /KBI sold out to Remington. I don't think Remington offered their stocks in anything but laminated. They weren't around long but we're the Mod. 798 I think.
When I realized that I didn't see anymore Butler Creek stocks I found that they must have been taken over by or changed their name to Champion. All of the Champion stocks I have owned and seen are former Charles Daly stocks which are identical to the Butler Creek stocks other than the name on the butt pad and the small half round cut out in the stock for the newer style floor plate release on the Charles Daly. It is a button on the side of the front of the trigger guard.
The only way I could be wrong is if Ramline bought out Champion and now make two styles of stocks or completely dropped the much better Butler Creek/Charles Daly/Champion style stock.
Also this had to have happened in the last several months.
I sold one that I had to a guy for $60.00 and later he bought another from Sarco for $66.00. Midway had them for $90+ .

Look for them you will find them as I describe. The Champion that are exactly like the Butler Creek are in most of the catalogs and Amazon. The Ramlines are also and you can see the difference immediately. The checkering, and the shape and material the stock is made of is much different. Also the Ramlines are sort of clunky compared to the Champions.

Ken

Last edited by kennymauser; 09/19/18. Reason: corrections
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ramline was the first poly stock I ever handled back at Kimber of America for the Swede Mauser sporterizing project circa '94. Left a very foul impression.

Just for conversation, I would swear I have seen within the past decade the lowest cheapest grade poly stocks packaged labeled Champaign that were of identical design and packaging to ones formerly marked Ramline. Butler Creek? Merger? I don't know. One thing though with certainty, a simple poly stock should retail for $10 not $100.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/19/18.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've had a couple Butler Creek stocks(still have a new one on a shelf in the garage) I really like the shape...someday I'm going to put it on a rifle...maybe, the last 3 got McMillan, the next one will be a Boyds Platinum in walnut(probably).

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kennymauser
No you're wrong.

Ramlines are the somewhat shiny stocks with the skip line checkering. The Butler Creek originally made in Montana , then used by Charles Daly, became Champion after Charles Daly /KBI sold out to Remington. I don't think Remington offered their stocks in anything but laminated. They weren't around long but we're the Mod. 798 I think.
When I realized that I didn't see anymore Butler Creek stocks I found that they must have been taken over by or changed their name to Champion. All of the Champion stocks I have owned and seen are former Charles Daly stocks which are identical to the Butler Creek stocks other than the name on the butt pad and the small half round cut out in the stock for the newer style floor plate release on the Charles Daly. It is a button on the side of the front of the trigger guard.
The only way I could be wrong is if Ramline bought out Champion and now make two styles of stocks or completely dropped the much better Butler Creek/Charles Daly/Champion style stock.
Also this had to have happened in the last several months.
I sold one that I had to a guy for $60.00 and later he bought another from Sarco for $66.00. Midway had them for $90+ .

Look for them you will find them as I describe. The Champion that are exactly like the Butler Creek are in most of the catalogs and Amazon. The Ramlines are also and you can see the difference immediately. The checkering, and the shape and material the stock is made of is much different. Also the Ramlines are sort of clunky compared to the Champions.

Ken

Well, Champion seems to think that the current Champion stocks used to be Ramline, as it is clearly stated as such on their website.

"The Ram-Line name has been changed over to the Champion Target Brand

The new parts numbers will have (CH) listed

We are Replacing Images to Champion model, as time permits.

Please read the Reference page at the bottom for questions on correct stock fit, contact us for questions"

I have used several Ramline "Carbon Fiber Pattern" and Champion black stocks on Swedish Mauser builds 'cause they are the most common and least expensive after-market synthetic stocks for that specific application. Starting in 2013, the "Carbon Fiber Pattern" stocks were phased out in favor of the black stocks.

www.ramlinestocks.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I just checked, I guess they're not available anymore. BUMMER!
Paul B.

SARCO has available them for $66.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I stand corrected. I did read the Champion website later and read what 260 guy quoted.
I guess what got me going was the earlier statement that the Butler Creek/Champion stocks were no longer available. There are still plenty of them available it seems, but hopefully the CH will appear on the same stock!
I also used the Ramline Mauser small ring stocks for the Swedes and Mauser small ring rifles.
I guess I stirred up the pot more than I intended but I shouldn't have told 260 Remington guy he was wrong!
He wasn't!👍

Ken

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ken,

If I came across as being a dick, I didn't mean to.

Jeff

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Port

I need a stock and have a friend trying to sell my his Butler Creek. I know they're not a B&C or McMillan, but are they any good for a cheap stock? Apparently they have steel pillars integrated into them. Apologies if this is something that should be in the GunSmithing forum....

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/64...ynthetic-black

What barreled action are you seeking to restock?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Ken,

If I came across as being a dick, I didn't mean to.

Jeff

No I didn't think you were, but I got to thinking I was.
I don't plan on being that way to anybody. I like this place too much!

Ken

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (30Gibbs, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 29 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,637
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.