Print Thread
Hop To
T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I would like to purchase a 26" Browning A5 light barrel so that I can occasionally hunt with my late grandfather's shotgun. Either screw in chokes or fixed choke modified or improved cyl will work.

Please let me know by PM if you have one you would be willing to part with. I have the original 30" Belgian barrel that could be worked into a trade.

Thank you.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
keep looking on gunbroker. I bought one for mine a few weeks ago for $125

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I did a 26” vent rib, screw in choke Japanese made barrel for my Belgium made light 12. It fits just fine and it is steel shot OK.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I keep hoping...I have not met with such luck on Gun Broker or eBay

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Art's Gunshop, in Hillsboro, Missouri. Browning experts, look them up, they will have what you're looking for.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
+2 on Arts Gunshop. They know and have Brownings. Art pulled two stints as head of the Browning repair facility at Arnold, MO. He went out on his own, the repair facility went to pot, and Browning lured him back for a time.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As finding such a barrel is not difficult, I suspect the real problem for the OP is finding one at a price he wishes to pay. The retail prices of these barrels new with chokes are in the price range of another gun. Used, fixed choke barrels are not uncommon but are often Full choke or, if not, are quickly bought if at all reasonably priced.

My suggestion is to have the barrel cut back and have it threaded for choke tubes as the OP is offering the original barrel in trade. It is likely to be cheaper than a used barrel even. The only hitch is barrel thickness though even that can be worked around. I suggest this as an alternative.

There is also the option of using bismuth or polymer/tungsten shot in the original barrel. It is expensive but if for only occasional use the bite is not quite so great when amortized out.

T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Woodsmaster is correct in that price is a consideration. I am not looking for a bargain, but $500 for the barrels listed at Arts seems like more than I want to spend for an occasional use, sentimental gun. I would consider having the 30" barrel cut down - If it can be done in such a way as to have the end of the rib and barrel look decent. Has anyone had one cut down that can provide recommendations or insight?

Thanks

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tcp
I would like to purchase a 26" Browning A5 light barrel

Paid $550 for the last one I bought, NIB, 26" 12 ga Invector. Fewer & fewer to be had.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by tcp
Woodsmaster is correct in that price is a consideration. I am not looking for a bargain, but $500 for the barrels listed at Arts seems like more than I want to spend for an occasional use, sentimental gun. I would consider having the 30" barrel cut down - If it can be done in such a way as to have the end of the rib and barrel look decent. Has anyone had one cut down that can provide recommendations or insight?

Thanks

Any somewhat competent gunsmith should be able to cut the barrel down with no problem. Ive had it done to 5 barrels I can think of offhand. The barrel is cut just in front of a post so it does not look odd at a casual glance. If someone knows what to look for the end post may look a little longer than normal but it takes a sharp eye and a severe case of OCD to spot it.

If one can make a square, straight cut and then smooth out the muzzle and file the rib even to the post and then blue the cuts it can be done at home. The trick is threading for tubes if desired. Drilling and tapping for a replacement bead is not beyond the DYT person with the right equipment and a bit of knowledge on using it. I've done one barrel of my own which made me realize my equipment was not up to the task of D&T and I certainly don't have the patience or skill to make it work.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a 32” full choke A-5 barrel cut down to 27” or so with a modified screw in choke added. I used a smith who advertised on EBay out of NC. It may of been $125 or so when all was done, bright bead too.

Last edited by sourdough44; 10/12/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hang in there TCP, it'll be worth the wait.. I picked up an A5 Light Twelve several years ago with the the 27.5" modified, ribbed barrel. It is not only the easiest-to-hit-with shotgun I've ever owned, it's also the most reliable semi-auto I've ever used. It throws perfect, saturated patterns right on the bead and breaks clays at 55-60 yards, if I'm on the ball LOL.

I went the other way, because I wanted a short barrel for it. I priced Belgian barrels and found many--some pre-cut--well over $200. I finally found a Jap barrel for $150 carefully cut it down to 19.5" (right ahead of a post) and centered a new bead on the rib. It worked out pretty good. Here's three 2 3/4" Remington slugs from 100 yards, standing unsupported and shooting as fast as the bead re centered the plate.

[Linked Image]

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 53 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,241
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.