Campfire Ranger
for one bolt action rifle, hunting weight barrel, new, for hunting use

don't own any other .308

which set would you start with:

1) RCBS 2 die set, FL sizer

2) RCBS 2 die set, neck sizer

3) Lee 4 die set

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
#1.You can neck size with a FL die if you want to.You can't FL with a neck die though.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I’ll go the other way and say 3. Comes with FL die, collet, crimp die, and seater. I’m been happier with my Lee dies than RCBS but that’s just my opinion

Craig

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Definitely not #2.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
None of the above.

Either Hornady or Redding. In the end you'll be glad you spent the extra $$.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's not on your list, but based on my limited experience: Forster Bench Rest die set (FL sizing die and bullet seating die).

I'll let you decide on the neck sizing die, but I like the Forster bushing dies.

If I had to pick from your list: No. 1

What make/model press are you running?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
None of the above.

Forester.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Scott
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Sycamore

don't own any other .308

3) Lee 4 die set

I believe I have had or have examples of all the dies mentioned above and then some.

Neck sizing is overrated and I don't do it any longer.

I like RCBS dies (except the X dies) but don't like their lock rings so replace them with Hornady lock rings.

Hornady believes in the one size fits all theory so some of their dies are a lot bigger than they need to be. Their die boxes are also big, slick and clunky so take up too much room and don't stack well; other than that, they're fine.

Lee dies are fine but I don't like their lock rings except for applications where it doesn't matter if the die moves a little so replace them with Hornady lock rings. For crimping, nothing beats Lee Factory Crimp Dies but I wouldn't use them except for crimping Barnes bullets in 308 Winchester loads.

Redding dies are fine but they don't have the little relief hole RCBS dies have so if you use too much lube, you're more likely to collapse the case shoulder with Redding dies.

So, of the die sets you mention, I'd choose number 1 or 3 and replace the lock rings with Hornady lock rings.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd start with a Lee collet neck sizer, a Redding body die, and a Forster seating die. The best of everything.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

#4........

Redding or Forster FL set

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Frankly, I am turned off of both RCBS and Hornady dies. Quality control has appeared to suffer somewhat on these. I have tried the Lee die sets with the crimp die included (#3). I have two sets now and they appear to work very well so far. I am a little skeptical of the locking rings, but have had no problems as of yet.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
Originally Posted by Sycamore

don't own any other .308

3) Lee 4 die set

I believe I have had or have examples of all the dies mentioned above and then some.

Neck sizing is overrated and I don't do it any longer.

I like RCBS dies (except the X dies) but don't like their lock rings so replace them with Hornady lock rings.

Hornady believes in the one size fits all theory so some of their dies are a lot bigger than they need to be. Their die boxes are also big, slick and clunky so take up too much room and don't stack well; other than that, they're fine.

Lee dies are fine but I don't like their lock rings except for applications where it doesn't matter if the die moves a little so replace them with Hornady lock rings. For crimping, nothing beats Lee Factory Crimp Dies but I wouldn't use them except for crimping Barnes bullets in 308 Winchester loads.

Redding dies are fine but they don't have the little relief hole RCBS dies have so if you use too much lube, you're more likely to collapse the case shoulder with Redding dies.

So, of the die sets you mention, I'd choose number 1 or 3 and replace the lock rings with Hornady lock rings.

^^^^ This^^^^^^ I'd pick #1 myself.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
BSA,

You've shares some really nice groups in the past. Any with the RCBS X dies?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Grumulkin

Hornady believes in the one size fits all theory so some of their dies are a lot bigger than they need to be.

I have not bought a Hornady die set since 2005 or so, but I had a set in .280 Remington and had an issue with them working on my Co-Ax press. It's been a while and I am not sure I remember what the deal was...either the original die body was too long and interfered with the yoke movement of the press OR the die body was too short and I couldn't seat a bullet as shallow as I needed to do. Wish I could remember for sure but it just ain't happeneing. Hornady sent me a different length seating die body to address the issue.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Redding competition or Forester

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,601 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.