24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just caught the below halibut off Homer, Alaska but I barely had enough strength in my wrist to reel it in

Is there a lever assisted reel I could buy and bring to a party boat?

Thank you

[Linked Image]

GB2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am not very familiar with conventional; reels, but know there are some that have the availability of 2 gears. High and Low, which will allow more speed vs more power, that could be an option.
Nice Halibut !!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There used to be electric reels available

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We are getting ready to head to Harkers Island NC for our annual King Mackerel Tournament. We fish for the Kings on light tackle, 30 pound. The tournament is Monday-Friday, and every boat has to take one day off. On your off day you can do anything you want, but no fish caught count toward your boat. We are also going down a couple days early. On our off days we sill run offshore for Wahoo, Tuna, Sailfish. The past couple years the arthritis in my wrists has gotten so bad I can't grip the rod. As I try to crank the real, as the handle gets to the top of the stroke, it just spins the rod in my hand. I can't grip it tight enough. I never liked the belly belts with a gimble in them. But last year they talked me into using one, and then put a shoulder harness on with clips that snap in to the reel. These are pretty big reels. With the reel clipped into the shoulder harness it couldn't twist and made it easy to crank. Now when offshore I just put the harness on and wear it all day.
http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-reels-conventional-reels-penn-international/

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
In the pic the reel on the right has the hooks to snap into.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Joe, is the tournament still on? I was at Cape Carteret yesterday (cleaning up from Hurr. Florence) conditions really vary. Lots of areas still have no power or water - think Harkers Island is still out and I know the Davis area downeast of Beaufort is out. Lots and lots of power crews working - hope you get your fishing in, ready to get back out myself.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The weather map I was watching had land fall right on top of Morehead. The tournament is the 6th-13th. No word yet. I have mixed emotions about the fishing trip. First prayers go to the folks down there. I'm getting my right knee replaced 2 days after I get back. My friend that has the boat, a 30 Contender, is moving to Fl soon, and this may be the last time we go as a team. Otherwise I would have skipped this year. I think this is the 10th or 11th year in a row. He and one other guy have been fishing Harkers this same week since the mid 60's, before we had a tournament. It's kind of a changing of the guard, we are loosing all of the old guys. The oldest guy that fishes with us is 86-87, and the other 3 guys in his crew were all over 80. One of those guys passed away 2 years ago, on his boat, not in the tournament. What a way to go, pushing 90 years old and go out fishing! I can always crew on with another boat, it's a pretty tight group of guys, but it won't be the same. John is an icon in our club. He was fishing out of Oregon inlet a year or two ago and got caught on film in and episode of Wicked Tuna. That was the last time I watched the show. The captain was ranting about the stupid sport fisher was going to cut off his lines. You could see the white Contender with the name fuzzed out hitting about 30 mph a half mile back. Then when he was gone it was "phew, we got lucky on that one, stupid sport fishers". Made for TV drama. Who do they think watch their show? Any way, thanks for the best wishes, and my best wishes to the locals down there. I have a buddy down there also, as an ambulance driver.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heard yesterday that Harkers Island needed food, still cut off. But you hear a lot of stuff right now. Water is going down in some places but rising in others, flooding them. I'm going back to Cape Carteret today to continue clearing my yard of debris, house is fine, right on a creek adjacent to the ICW - my only damage is lots of trees down (Oak and Gum). I hope you will be able to make one last fishing trip with your buddy. As for Wicked Tuna (and all other reality TV) - all BS. I watched Wicked Tuna a couple of times just due to the water they fish (I've fished it to) but had to quit, just too much BS to wade through. Good luck to you guys.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for the update, my guys said they heard the same thing. My buddy, John, has a good friend that runs a 62' sport fisher out of Oregon Inlet. His last name is Smith, I guess John is keeping in touch with him?

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
786 members (163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 77 invisible), 3,192 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023
<

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.