24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
It's just more fun to hunt with a dog...even better with 2. wink Black mouth cur and Mountain cur. More fun than a box of rocks.

[Linked Image]

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

is the coyote in a trap...….bob

OP Offline
No, he has been shot though. The curs go out after I've shot. This one was on a wildlife management area that doesn't allow centerfire rifles.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've had Catahoula Curs for years, have two males now that each weigh 60+ pounds. They would LOVE to get a coyote!

Mike Holmes

OP Offline
Catahoula's are great dogs, I have a buddy that has one that will decoy. My Mt cur runs about 55 lbs, the BMC (Weatherfords Ben blood line) is 75lbs. The Mt cur has a nose that's unbelievable. He love's running the coyote's.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always thought the brindle colored ones were mean looking just because of their color. LOL Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[Linked Image]

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
OP Offline
Awesome job CJ!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm going to get a tolling dog or two as soon as I find some land out in the country .

There's a bunch of good video's on Utube using dogs to lure in coyotes , coyotes will come in and stand 20 yards from the hunter sometimes - freaked out just staring at the curs .

What state are you in Yotehntr ?

Welcome to the campfire !

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tree Cats with my Cur dog but my friend over in WY decoys Coyotes with her younger sister.
He spent Sept. in ID trying to call a Wolf a couple of years ago so on his last day here I made him take me Coyote Decoying.
Holy crap....that's as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. It's almost too easy.....almost.

My Sally Dog.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The two sisters waiting for me to drop a Brat off of the grill.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

OP Offline
Ol MIke I'm in Tennessee. What I was after when I started was decoy dogs.. I started with a Mt Cur and worried he'd get in trouble by his self. I got the Black Mouth Cur above as his "buddy"... Here in TN I'm lucky to see one over a hundred yards out and then the dogs keep running the coyotes. I've had them bay one up under a fallen cedar tree and once they crossed a river and wouldn't let him go up the bank on the other side. I don't like hunting without them so I just have them sit behind me while I call. Turn them loose after the shot and hope for a double.

Field grade I've been hoping to get them on cats, it hasn't happened yet but after a stand I turn them loose and see if they'll put one in a tree. About 2 weeks ago I thought I had it happening but it ended up being a coyote. Your lighter dog in the 2nd pic looks just like my Dan. Mt curs have unbelievable noses. Dan is silent unless he's on a hot coyote sent... strike barks and if real hot he doesn't let up. LOL

My Mt Cur (Dan) is from Busher blood. He's 55-60 lbs. Pretty good size for a mt cur. Roi my BMC is from Wetherford's Ben blood line. I've seen him shake a coyote so hard it's feet came off the ground.

Last edited by Yotehntr; 09/25/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here in WA dogs are not allowed in the pursuit of coyotes in any manor, technically if you shoot a coyote while bird hunting with a dog you could be subject to a citation.

I had used my wirehair for a number of years while coyote hunting, just sitting alongside me for an extra set of ears and nose. With my position in the WPHA I went to the state to see if we could at least get the wording changed to allow decoy dogs and to have dogs at the point of kill. I was quite surprised that a lot of the reason for the band didn't have to do with coursing or running with hounds but videos from decoy dog work, they deemed that decoy dogs finishing off wounded coyotes was too close to "Dog Fighting".

Watch what you post, it could bite you in the butt.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Fieldgrade ,

Always enjoy seeing those hunting dogs . Treeing bobcats would have to be a blast .

Yotehntr ,

Thanks .
Taking a stroll around a calling set with some good bobcat tree dogs would really add to a hunt . We all know how bobcats can sneak in - they just appear sometimes . Also seen a few just walking away never to be seen again - with dogs that could be changed .

Ballpark how much does a pup from a good hunting line of Curs go for ? Just a young pup not started or anything .
Fieldgrade - what say you ?

erich ,

Sounds like washington state wants to keep a high coyote population .

It seems like I have seen Utube vid of tolling dogs in washington state ? I'll have to look - maybe it was another state or public ground .

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by erich
Here in WA dogs are not allowed in the pursuit of coyotes in any manor, technically if you shoot a coyote while bird hunting with a dog you could be subject to a citation.

I had used my wirehair for a number of years while coyote hunting, just sitting alongside me for an extra set of ears and nose. With my position in the WPHA I went to the state to see if we could at least get the wording changed to allow decoy dogs and to have dogs at the point of kill. I was quite surprised that a lot of the reason for the band didn't have to do with coursing or running with hounds but videos from decoy dog work, they deemed that decoy dogs finishing off wounded coyotes was too close to "Dog Fighting".

Watch what you post, it could bite you in the butt.

My friend sent the dog when the Coyotes first appeared.
The Dog would lure/decoy the Coyotes in close and then he shot em.
Watching the dog interact with the Coyotes was the best part....I didn't even bring a gun.
At one stand she worked three at the same time....a male, a female, and a yoy pup......he killed two of em with one shot apiece......there's nothing inhumane about that as far as I'm concerned. WA being WA I'm sure the people making up those stupid rules have never actually been in the field with a Decoy Dog.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Fieldgrade ,

Always enjoy seeing those hunting dogs . Treeing bobcats would have to be a blast .

Ballpark how much does a pup from a good hunting line of Curs go for ? Just a young pup not started or anything .
Fieldgrade - what say you ?

From my limited experience Curs don't cost anywhere near what a fancy AKC dog costs. I paid $200 for my Sally dog.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks !

Posted by Bristoe
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
[Linked Image]
Nice looking curs gentlemen! I would have loved to have gotten ol Clyde ( far left) on a coyote before I retired him. He had the stamina, wheels and more than enough grit for it.

Last edited by ZKight89; 09/28/18.
OP Offline
Clyde looks like a lean mean machine! Great dogs!

My favorite pic of my cur dogs...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Yotehntr; 09/29/18.
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Another great pic! The one I posted above is 1/2 way through hog dog season on an Air Force Base we used to hunt, he'd start out looking good but be skinny as a rail by seasons end!.... He'd only bark when he first laid eyes on a hog, all business after that.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My granddaughter had a black mouth cur she picked up from a pound, they nor her knew what it was they all thought it was a mutt. When I saw it, it looked familiar but I couldn't place it until I ran into a guy who's father ran hounds for anything one could chase with a hound. I showed him a picture of the dog and he identified it right away. Unfortunately, the dog had to be put down as it became aggressive to other animals including their lab which was best buddies with the cur.

I was hoping to get a chance to work with the dog as I could have used a new varmint dog. I had to put my wirehair down that year and he was a big, tough dog that had no hesitation going after varmints. He wasn't fast but he was good at blood tracking and it had to be a pretty lightly hit animal to get away from him.

He crossed paths with my best decoy dog, an English Setter. The setter would howl on command and whatever he said, it brought in coyotes. I would set him on a knoll behind the house overlooking the pasture and get into position behind a scraggly bush beside him. Get him howling and it seemed any coyote within hearing would have to come check things out. I have no idea if the coyotes were coming to do battle or were curious as I didn't let them get close enough. I do know the setter's breeder would shake his head at the many things I had the dog do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

253 members (338reddog, 1_deuce, 358WCF, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 35 invisible), 1,981 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,156
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.