Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We don't chop as much silage as we used to. A few [Linked Image][Linked Image]pictures I took when I had the time.[Linked Image]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sure enough good feed!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The dairy farmers here are the only ones that chop silage around here anymore, for the most part anyway. I knew a fellow who used to fill his silo and feed it to his beef cattle, but he quit that years ago. Makes some real good feed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard, it's getting to be that time of year!

We've got about 50 acres to chop up here sometime in the next week or two. They are calling for mid 30's tonight and hopefully it doesn't freeze. Always sucks when the corn patch turns silver.....

Blend it with alfalfa and screenings pellets and feed it to the calves and bred heifers.

Silage in the mixer wagon really cuts down on dust which is great.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Years ago, ( 1950's) we chopped it while it was a little more green by hand and loaded it by hand onto a wagon Then mixed it with alfalfa that we baled right after it was cut. We did that for ease of hauling it in. Then chopped the corn and alfalfa at the silo for our dairy cows. I think that fermented ensilage kept the cows drunk all winter and made them more mellow. It made good milk.

Early on, the silo was right at the barn and we could wheel barrow it to the cows.Then the milk inspectors said that was no good and we had to go to a trench silo away from the barn. That meant we had to hand shovel it onto the wagon, haul to the barn, and then wheel barrow it to the cows. We had no front end loaders back then

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/20/18.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I think that fermented ensilage kept the cows drunk all winter and made them more mellow.

lol

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I remember in the late 1950s. My dad would load the pickup with silage. He positioned the pickup parallel to a long line of bunks. He put the pickup in lowest gear, we called compound.
Then he hopped in the back of the pick up and scooped silage into the bunks. I was steering the pickup along the side of the bunks. I was about six years old and could not reach the pedals.
That was over 60 years ago.
Funny how you remember certain things.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
We just started ours this afternoon. Going to try and get our wetter fields done before it starts raining Tuesday. First fields a little greener than I'd like but should be fine.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I used to help my neighbor stuff those bags with a mix of silage and corn. He had to set traps all around the bag to keep the coons out of it. After a little time went by it smelled like you didn't want to strike a match around it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool stuff going on there guys.

I've known they feed silage for years, from silos and later from those bags I see in the fields like Ben's pics.

Now, coming from a non-cattle person, what's the benefit of silage over just feeding the raw feed stock as hay, cornstalks/ears, and just mixing in the alfalfa?

Better for the cows (easier to digest pre-digested food) ? Better conversion rates? Easier handling? Easier storage? All of the above?

What happens to those bags? Off to the dump? Reusable for another year or two?

Just an interested non-rancher/dairyman asking questions because I love your end product....................the beef/milk/yogurt/cheese....................not the end end product grin ..................although even that has its uses in my garden!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good questions. Why do we feed corn silage? Like breathing air I guess. Cattle can digest the fibers, and it is a safe feed as far as founder, and bloat goes.
The corn does not need to be dried, and I'll try to think of more.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Last edited by rockinbbar; 09/23/18.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Of course Barry, so will dry hay, dry grains, and a whole lot of other feeds. Beet pulp, beet tops, citrus pulp, cotton seed cake, and a long list of things.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember climbing up the ladder in the silo, taking the pick-ax and chopping loose some frozen silage, scooping it down the ladder shaft, removing another door, swinging the pick some more, shoveling some more, climbing down the ladder, kicking enough silage out of the way to let myself out, going down the bunks, spreading it out while the diners shoved my legs with their noses (depositing snot on my jeans), and having one swing his head and catch me in the back of the thigh with a (thankfully, blunted) horn. Good times.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
the few dairy farmers left around here that haven't been run out by urban development still do some silage packing for the winter.

there was a time, maybe still is in some areas. that chicken waste/manure was mixed with stuff for the beef cattle to eat.

i don't know if they still do that or not. lot's of it is now sold as compost. and lot's spread on fescue & hybrid bermuda pastures as a fertilizer supplement.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Good questions. Why do we feed corn silage? Like breathing air I guess. Cattle can digest the fibers, and it is a safe feed as far as founder, and bloat goes.
The corn does not need to be dried, and I'll try to think of more.

Thanks wabi,

that makes sense in a number of ways.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
774 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 90 invisible), 3,043 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.