Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Talley flat base measures about 0.360” at the rear. Also mounted on the rifle, so not exact.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
My Talley flat base measures about 0.360” at the rear. Also mounted on the rifle, so not exact.

I did it quickly and didn't write it down....there's a good chance that I didn't read my 1/10's correctly!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Either way, it's $25 less money while on sale at Midway.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I did it quickly and didn't write it down....there's a good chance that I didn't read my 1/10's correctly!

Measured again and it is .360 and .385. I was rushing yesterday morning....sorry. At any rate, the Leupold will save some $.

IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have one on the way to try out. I’d like to keep the weight down with the Talleys, but I’d like it to be robust too. The other day I was at the range, and to see what would happen in a fall or if the rifle fell over from leaning on a truck or tree, I slapped the side of the scope. Not too hard, anyway, the POI shifted ~1.1” on one rifle and 1.5” on another. Two different scopes. Hardly scientific, but I learned that something in the system shifted. I was surprised to see that given I really didn’t slap that hard. When I did it my expectation was neither would move and would be confident in the systems. Oh well. I’m going to bed the rings on one, replace the rings with a rail/rings on the other and try to repeat and see what happens.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prm
I have one on the way to try out. I’d like to keep the weight down with the Talleys, but I’d like it to be robust too. The other day I was at the range, and to see what would happen in a fall or if the rifle fell over from leaning on a truck or tree, I slapped the side of the scope. Not too hard, anyway, the POI shifted ~1.1” on one rifle and 1.5” on another. Two different scopes. Hardly scientific, but I learned that something in the system shifted. I was surprised to see that given I really didn’t slap that hard. When I did it my expectation was neither would move and would be confident in the systems. Oh well. I’m going to bed the rings on one, replace the rings with a rail/rings on the other and try to repeat and see what happens.

Did you read Boxer's posts and the links within on Page 2 of this thread? He done the work for you.

You have to learn to speak his language or enlist the help of an interpreter, but there's always something to learn from him. Hint, laffin. grin

Last edited by StudDuck; 09/20/18.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm

What scopes and rings/bases?

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by prm

What scopes and rings/bases?

Both had Talley Lightweights. One had Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8 and the other a NF SHV 3-10. I wouldn’t read too much into the scopes or results beyond the fact that something shifted. My guess is a better base/ring or ring bedding will address it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have 2 rifles with Talley light weights mounted. I epoxy them on with no release agent, before torqueing the screws. I think that will help keep them from shifting. RJ

IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
(FWIW) Warne MtTech Low/ Talley20

[Linked Image]

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by rj308
I have 2 rifles with Talley light weights mounted. I epoxy them on with no release agent, before torqueing the screws. I think that will help keep them from shifting. RJ

Exactly what I’m doing on one.

Gravymeister, I almost went with the Mtn Techs. Nice looking. All the rail/ring combos are too tall though. Can always go back if I don’t like it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've "only" broken (8) sets of LW's,aboard Killing Rifles and they'd be amongst THE last pieces of fhuqking schit I'd poke on a Barrett FC. Hint.

1" 3.5-10x Reupold LW puke here,on a Montucky 223. All were S/A failures,as an FYI...though actual fhuqking USE and round count was certainly OBSCENE. Though in fairness,I barely had more than (3) dozen sets in service aboard mainstays,at any one time. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Montucky Whizzum LW puke. Though I've broke most on 700's,in CM,S/S and Titanium,to be fair...if only because they were THE mainstays and absorbed the round count.

[Linked Image]

Epoxy is NO "aid" to Metallurgy,but be SURE To "convince" yourselfd",of that which you MOST need to hear. Pass the 20MOA(or better) 1913 rail(s),uszing ALL fhuqking (5) 8x40 fasteners and hold the Fluff.

Ring spacing is THE greatest advantage one can toss any/all 'scope's and EVERY fhuqking thing on the erector below zero,is 100% fhuqking USELESS.

Thank me later.

Hint....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I won’t disagree the rail/rings is the most robust. However, I don’t throw my rifles and I know how to torque a screw properly, so I’m not that concerned about the LWs. Hint...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had two pair crack. Maybe I torque to much...don't know...I only use a thumb and two fingers to tighten with the included wrench (short end). I do know I've not had any other type of ring crack.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 2,664 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,783
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.