24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot several moose, caribou and a few black bears with the .338 Winny and the 250 grain Partition and recovered three bullets that weighed about 178 gains. I switched to the Barnes X in the late 80's and shot more Alaskan critters with them and recovered one 225 grain bullet that weighed 224 grains, never recovered a 250 grain X bullet.

The thing is, all the critters died and none went very far. I will never shoot enough critters to know which is the best killer. At this stage in my life I can live with either bullet, but the edge goes to the Barnes X of some flavor as I can shoot lighter weight bullets that perform like heavier Partitions and my old shoulder appreciates that!

My Mod. 70 "Stainless Classic" .338 has the worlds best factory barrel and it loves Barnes X bullets and Nosler Partitions. I am a blessed man!

Last edited by 1Akshooter; 09/20/18.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
True, but BC doesn't kill.

Another quotable...

DF

Indeed.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Partitions are like Ford, Chevy or Dodge. Model 70 or 700. Many think their choice is always the way. Partitions are an easy band to follow, but today there are more than a few others that play just as well.

laissez les bons temps rouler
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Keechi Kid,

WTF?

What did I say that is odd or confusing? It's as simple as different grain weights in the same caliber perform differently depending on the size of animal you are shooting. At least in my experience.

I shoot a couple hundred hogs and deer a year. A 150 grain partition out of a 270 Winchester performs markedly different on a pig if it is 200 pounds than it does if it is 75 pounds. The 150 partition doesn't kill the small pig as quickly as the 130 would. The 150 being a bigger, tougher bullet doesn't kill quite as violently on the smaller hog, though it still kills it.

Again, in my experience it is a matter of degree. Striking a balance between penetration and expansion instant drops. They will all kill, but as many as I shoot, I try to find the one bullet that will do instant incapacitation across the broadest spectrum of weights and sizes.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
One of the big advantages of this board is the advice you get from many good hunters.
Because of that advice, I've settled on two bullets for my 06', a 200 grain partition, and a 168 grain TTSX. Both work really well and importantly, shoot well in my barrel.

Reflecting back, though, I've been very happy with Hornady spire points, Sierra Game Kings, and Remington Core Lokts.

Even though all of them worked really well, I'm more enlightened now with my current choices.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
For WT's and such, try the 130 TTSX at 3K fps out of your '06. I like that combo. If a bullet will more likely than not shoot thru an animal, may not need a heavier bullet in that application.

For bigger stuff, I'd go heavier, maybe 150 TTSX. To me the 168 TTSX is perfect for the magnums, good buds shoot them in their 30-378 and 300 RUM. Devastating.

Monos do their best, IMO, lighter and faster.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Keechi Kid,

Sorry, your first post seemed to suggest something like a precise correlation between grains of bullet and pounds of big game.

I've used Partitions for over 40 years now, on big game up to 1500 pounds, but haven't found that magic grain weight yet, partly because velocity seems to modify the equation considerably, I would guess due to the front core disintegrating more violently at higher speeds. Have used Partitions at muzzle velocities up to 3300 fps, and find speed increases their "killing power" more than bullet weight--and even more than speed increases killing power of monolithics, the reason I suspect the results involve the front core.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For WT: And the 7mm 140 and .308 150 Accubond, and .308 150 Nosler BT, and .223; 55, 62 and .308 130 TTSX, have all shot thru WT's. And have been more accurate from the bench then any partition, not enough to make a difference in the field, but better.

140 Accubonds have also shot thru a Mountain Goat.

When it comes to WT's I can pass on partitions and not feel the need for more of whatever it has to offer.

Last edited by battue; 09/20/18.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

But so far, over 40 years of Partition use, I haven't found another bullet that kills game significantly "better," or penetrates meaningfully deeper IF the right Partition is chosen for the job at hand, whether shooting pronghorns at 400 yards or buffalo up close.

Truth; and there you have it, condensed down to one sentence that more or less says it all.

I've used Partitions to kill more animals than anything else, & though I've tried & like other bullets, namely TSX & TTSX, I've never seen the Partitions lacking & little reason to change to the flavor of the year.

A couple of pic of recovered bullets...................doesn't get much better.

MM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
For WT's and such, try the 130 TTSX at 3K fps out of your '06. I like that combo. If a bullet will more likely than not shoot thru an animal, may not need a heavier bullet in that application.

For bigger stuff, I'd go heavier, maybe 150 TTSX. To me the 168 TTSX is perfect for the magnums, good buds shoot them in their 30-378 and 300 RUM. Devastating.

Monos do their best, IMO, lighter and faster.

DF

Dirtfarmer,
Thanks for the advice!!
Will give the 130 TTSX a try and see how it groups. (a good reason to get some additional trigger-time!)
Cheers.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Keechi Kid,

Sorry, your first post seemed to suggest something like a precise correlation between grains of bullet and pounds of big game.

I've used Partitions for over 40 years now, on big game up to 1500 pounds, but haven't found that magic grain weight yet, partly because velocity seems to modify the equation considerably, I would guess due to the front core disintegrating more violently at higher speeds. Have used Partitions at muzzle velocities up to 3300 fps, and find speed increases their "killing power" more than bullet weight--and even more than speed increases killing power of monolithics, the reason I suspect the results involve the front core.

Your reaction makes more sense now lol. I didn't think I had said anything particularly controversial. I like partitions a lot. They were my preferred bullet for a while. Lately though I have been playing a lot with the Hornady ELD M's. 208 grains from my 30-06 have been good up and down the weight ranges so far.

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The ones I have used open up like a Ballistic Tip, and penetrate like an 'X.' I don't think I have ever recovered one from the deer I have shot with them. My only hangup is they aren't generally the most accurate bullet you can use, but they still shoot well enough. If I were ever after Elk, Moose, or something that could eat me back, they would be my go-to bullet.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by J23
The ones I have used open up like a Ballistic Tip, and penetrate like an 'X.' I don't think I have ever recovered one from the deer I have shot with them. My only hangup is they aren't generally the most accurate bullet you can use, but they still shoot well enough. If I were ever after Elk, Moose, or something that could eat me back, they would be my go-to bullet.

The typical Loony wants his hunting rifle to shoot one hole groups. I know, I'm one.

But, unless one is shooting at extreme distances, field accuracy may be OK at 1.5" or so. If I have a rifle shooting the NPT at 1.5" at a hundred, I consider that a failure and keep looking. If I'm shooting less than 300 yds, which is about 99% of my hunting experience, 1.5 MOA is good enough.

My thinking, I want the gun to be about perfect so it's not part of the variables that I bring to the equation. But, most shooters out in the field would do well to shoot 3" at a hundred; I doubt most could do that well. I missed an 80 class pronghorn at less than 100 yds with a half MOA .240. Awkward shooting position, fighting with a Harris bipod that should have been folded. These things happen.

I don't have a gun that won't shoot NPT's at 1.5 MOA....

DF

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Dirtfarmer,

Guilty as charged!

We certainly seem to be on the same page.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keechi Kid,

WTF?

I know you already responded in depth, but my take is 1 grain of Partition is good for 1 ton of critter. Therefore with proper direction we all have rifles suitable for the Jurassic Era.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Keechi Kid,

WTF?

I know you already responded in depth, but my take is 1 grain of Partition is good for 1 ton of critter. Therefore with proper direction we all have rifles suitable for the Jurassic Era.

DD, I like your calculations... grin

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just had too many lung hit deer run off at last light hit with Partitions and do most of their bleeding internally. The last straw was a 10 point that I had to track by the scuffed up leaves to tell where he went from a 140 grain Partition from a 7mm-08. I probably hit that one a little too high in the lungs about half way up to put a lot of blood on the ground. Oh Partitions are probably in the top 10 in my estimation, but not number one in my book. What I am looking for would be more of a cone shaped wound channel with about a 2" exit diameter that isn't going to close over with fat, hide or hair. I suspect that a cross section of a Partition wound channel would be more the shape of a football with that front section doing all the internal damage and the smaller back half making the exit.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Windfall,

The cross-section of almost all expanding bullets is a "football" near the entrance hole, with the rest of the wound channel a lot smaller--though exactly how small depends on the expanded frontal area of the bullet. I don't know of ANY expanding bullet that creates a "cone-shaped" wound channel.

For your wishes one of several bonded bullets would tend to produce a bigger exit hole, such as the Norma Oryx, Swift A-Frame or Scirocco II, Trophy Bonded Tipped, Woodleigh Weldcore or even the Nosler AccuBond. All tend to result in a wider mushroom than the Partition. The downside is the wider mushroom causes them to stop under the hide on the far side more often, which of course doesn't result in a wider exit hole!

When I want to make sure a deer doesn't run far in thicker woods (or down into nasty canyons) I shoot 'em through the shoulders and spine, not the lungs. Holding directly in line with the front legs, about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up the body, does the trick. In fact my wife shot her biggest-bodied whitetail buck (and she's shot quite a few) that way, because it was almost the end of legal light, and she was hunting a thick riverbottom. The buck dropped right there, the bullet a 100-grain Nosler Partition shot from her .243 Winchester--which exited.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, my theory on how to get a good blood trail is first to use a bullet that'll give a pass through, after tearing up the innards, and also to keep shot placement below the half-way point on the chest, well below in fact. I try to hit the top of the heart. A higher hit means more blood has to accumulate before it can leak out the holes, and even then it must run down the side through the hair before it drips to the ground. A heart shot starts leaving sign very quickly. One doe I actually hit too low with a 150gr .308 NP, just above the sternum, still had her heart shattered by the fragments and made it maybe 20 yards. Deer shot high through the lungs can go far, leaving very little sign, sometimes almost none. A deer with no heart, or with the heart disconnected from the major blood vessels can only travel as far as the oxygen in its muscles will allow; that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Both went into the shoulder of a descent size Black Bear at around 30 yards. 180gr started out of a .30-06. Found in the opposite shoulder. He made it about 100yards pushing off his back legs and rolling downhill. What do we have here?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
640 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.