Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Looks like it has not been used much. It does have a turn ring, but timing and lockup all seem very good as is the bore. Serial is 18Jxx. Not sure on how to date this. Late 60s??? It just might be a keeper.........

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
DiamondJim: I would say it's a "keeper" for sure!
Great shape and an older gun.
I just spent 30 minutes trying to ascertain (by serial number then by model modifications!) when your pistol may have been manufactured - no luck.
Are you sure the third symbol in your relayed serial number is a "J"?
My thick, third edition of "The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" was just no help (as yet) to me in dating your pistol.
It appears to me that the barrel length on your pistol could be 3"?
And the barrel appears to be the heavy type (non-tapered)?
Those would be nice features (rarer?).
Could the "J" you relayed to us possibly be the first symbol in the serial number - if so then I could look that up?
I hope someone else can help you (and me!) with the dating.
I used to carry one of these "off duty", and did so for many years, until I replaced it with a Model 60 (stainless version of the Model 36) Smith & Wesson.
Enjoy your nifty pistol.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
DiamondJim: I did verify that your pistol was made before 1982 as that was the year Smith & Wesson quit "pinning" the barrel for indexing.
I am GUESSING that your pistol was indeed made just before 1970?
Again enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've got a 36 no dash round butt 1 7/8 barrel not near as clean as that gun but it is an accurate little gun for its size

Last edited by ldholton; 09/20/18.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Looks like it has not been used much. It does have a turn ring, but timing and lockup all seem very good as is the bore. Serial is 18Jxx. Not sure on how to date this. Late 60s??? It just might be a keeper.........

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's an ideal configuration for a 36. I have the aluminum version of it in exactly that configuration, three inch barrel, square butt frame, in similar condition. Mine's a safe queen, though.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
There are only two digits behind the 18J

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Probably should be a safe queen as the only blemish in bluing is at the serial number, but I am going to shoot it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Your revolver was made between 1968 and 1980. My guess would be the late 70's because I do not recall the 3 inch heavy barrel being available before then. Those revolvers are very nice shooters. I carried one off duty for several years back in the day.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
A turn ring is certainly no death sentence.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
DiamondJim: Thank you for that - I have resumed, and again terminated, my search through my 430+ page long LARGE Smith & Wesson reference book without finding the answer I (we) are looking for - this is not the first time I have been unable to ascertain a manufacturing date from this "book" via serial number - even while holding an older S&W revolver in my hand and looking directly at the serial number on said revolver!?
Looking at your excellent picture there is NO doubt that you were/are correct in relaying that info about the "J's" placement.
I'll keep looking but I see NO similarities in your serial number and any classification of serial number manufacturing dates showing in my "reference book"!

Wildhobbybobby: On page 209 of my "reference book" in the portion of the "reference book" dedicated to the Smith & Wesson Model 36's there is a chronological chart by year indicating "engineering and production changes" for the Model 36 that I will quote:

"36-1 (1967): Indicates 3" heavy barrel."

SO... maybe that was the first year of the 3" heavy barrel's or the only year of the heavy barrels - I can't ascertain?

More later (maybe?).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Reloder28
A turn ring is certainly no death sentence.

Meaning, don't shoot? Especially if it is a first year? I do not know near enough about this stuff. It is painfully obvious.

Thanks.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
DiamondJim: Thank you for that - I have resumed, and again terminated, my search through my 430+ page long LARGE Smith & Wesson reference book without finding the answer I (we) are looking for - this is not the first time I have been unable to ascertain a manufacturing date from this "book" via serial number - even while holding an older S&W revolver in my hand and looking directly at the serial number on said revolver!?
Looking at your excellent picture there is NO doubt that you were/are correct in relaying that info about the "J's" placement.
I'll keep looking but I see NO similarities in your serial number and any classification of serial number manufacturing dates showing in my "reference book"!

Wildhobbybobby: On page 209 of my "reference book" in the portion of the "reference book" dedicated to the Smith & Wesson Model 36's there is a chronological chart by year indicating "engineering and production changes" for the Model 36 that I will quote:

"36-1 (1967): Indicates 3" heavy barrel."

SO... maybe that was the first year of the 3" heavy barrel's or the only year of the heavy barrels - I can't ascertain?

More later (maybe?).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

The 36-1 designated 3" Heavy barrel. I bought one new in 1979, a nickel 3" 36-1.

Also, in the early 70s S&W "floated" the "J" in the serial # sequence; this is referred to (obv) as the "floating J". I have a 36 no dash 3" with the "floating J" that was made in 1971 (per the S&W book) that is serial # 44J900.

Last edited by desertoakie; 09/20/18.

Ken
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
DiamondJim: I feel somewhat the same as what perhaps Reloder28 is alluding to - "I" would relegate that pistol of yours (if mine - and its not!) to the pride of ownership side of the safe and let it appreciate in value.
I would go buy a Ruger stainless revolver and shoot it until your heart is content.
I am like you when it comes to "lacking a lot of knowledge" when it comes to which Smith's are "collectible" - I was just coming of age with Smith revolvers back in the late 1960's.
But its been a lot of fun "bumping along" learning as I go and enjoying ownership and shootership of so many fine revolvers made by Smith & Wesson manufactured during the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's and some other "pre-lock" guns.
Again wish I could be of more definitive help to ya.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
It is certainly more info than I had before. Perhaps I will not shoot for awhile.

I am one of those that if I have a gun that I cannot shoot, the temptation is there to do so...........

Thanks again.

Jim

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Since I asked here about this, anyone have an interest in purchasing this one? If this is the wrong place, I apologize and will move it to the appropriate place.

Thanks.

Jim

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just looked in my 4th edition of Standard Catalog of S&W; the J frames were serialed as follows:
1969-1970 J1 - J99999
1971-1972 1J1 - 999J99
1973-1974 J100000 - J250000
etc. etc.
Therefore, your 36-1 was made in either 1971 or 1972, the years of the "floating J" serial #s. To further confuse matters, in late 1982, S&W again floated the "J" in the serial #, although this time there are 7 characters in the serial #, whereas in 1971-1972 there were only 6 characters in the serial. Also, 1982 guns would not have a pinned barrel.

Ken
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Often issued to female cops in uniform and detectives in the 60's and 70's.

Definitely a keeper.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

275 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 27 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,619
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.