Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The second generation of H4831 was definitely made in Scotland, after the original mil-surp supply started to run out.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Shrapnel - I really like the elk pics

Last edited by roninflag; 09/18/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The latest issue of Handloader FINALLY arrived today...... Gonna do some serious reading in bed tonight. Been waiting on that since the 11th, when this thread began.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by TBREW401
I found, at a gun show, a can of original Lake City national match ammo.
I also bought some Greek HXP from a guy In Colorado.
They are a hell of a lot of fun to shoot-- peep sight, old eyes and all!

i have a bunch of the lake city national match from different years. the only problem with it is i can't bear the thought of burning it up.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mathman
Look forward to MD/s article.

Sort the Lake City match by runout and the straight stuff may surprise you by how well it shoots. I shot a bunch of LC M852 Match for the "308" out of accurate bolt action rifles and the straight batches rivaled good handloads.

A friend of mine had a batch of banging ammo for his Garand, I believe it was the Greek stuff but I won't swear to it. The powder charges differed enough round to round so the variation could be heard by shaking each round and listening. crazy

cmp sold a ton of the greek hxp so i am sure there is a lot of it floating around.
they sold a bunch a few years ago in the spam cans from the various plants around the country too.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

i have a bunch of the lake city national match from different years. the only problem with it is i can't bear the thought of burning it up.

Kind of like having bottles of vintage single malt scotch on the shelf- you can be itching for a drink but darned if you're gonna crack the seal on one.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I would hate to admit how many garands might be around, but say from prewar WWII, to the early 50's.
Garands were one of my original addictions.
And the stuff that goes with them.
Among other things running across a sizable quanity of french m2 ball ammo.
wasn't any good corrosive primers brittle brass. It had been stored in a unheated/cooled garage in phx since the 50's.
we saved all the powder, not knowing what it was.
then reloaded it in new brass/primers started at about 40 grains and worked up. we were looking for 2750fps velocity which is what we gotl
then fired five shot groups with the stuff. neat part was there was about 20fps variation in velocity round to round.
I have a bunch of that national match too, my understanding right or wrong while the military had dropped use of corrosive powders, they were still used in some of this national match.
One of the odd garands i have is a built national match. The guy who put it together in the 50's for camp perry. at one time he was in the top 10nationally. an armorer built it near ft. bragg, i have the invoice for the work.
Prior owner hadn't had the metal out of the wood since the 50's. I tried to take off the gas piston, and found the screw had been cross threaded, intentional or not i don't know.
another thing is he had had a post brased in under the ramp where your clip went in to forcible make it a single shot. why, i don't know.
i removed that, put an original part back in, and it shoots fine.
my wife's springfield was built in 1941, and rebarrel in 1943. You can only guess where its been.
Dean is now passed away, but his wife is still running his shop, DGR. I sent him a gerbiled greek return which he converted to 7.62x51 with a douglas barrel, and french bastogne for the wood. Gorgeous gun when he sent it back to me.
You can still find a lot of WWII ammo still around. like a 720round spam can repacked in the early 50's in hawaii. leftover from the pacific.
My wife seeing the boxes they came in, thinks they are breeding where they are stored.

one of the things that came into country was when the danish garands under lendlease were reimported. A lot of high end danish ammo also for sale, it is darn near if not match ammo. Came in crates with ammo/clips in bandoliers.
I have never used the cci primer, sticking with winchester. but i make sure they are deep seated to avoid the firing pin slamming them.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/20/18.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
if one is looking for a garand, might look for one of the danish reimports. they actually took good care of the ones they had. Many were rebarreld with a barrel stamp VAR. these are real good shooters.
garands were later made in italy after the war, on winchester equpment we sent them. They were the parts suppliers for the danes.
you can find recievers with the beretta stamp on them.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I searched high and low until I found one within 100,000 of the serial number my dad carried in the Battle of the Bulge. She was a safe queen, all correct, and gets taken out, rain or shine, each Veteran's Day for her annual deer hunt. She will shoot inch and a half groups at 100 yards with Sierra 168's and 47 grains of 4064.

Can't wait to read his article.

[Linked Image]

I killed my very first deer with my IH Garand in 1983. That's about the time the deer just started getting enough numbers to hunt around my area, and I didn't have any other gun to deer hunt with at that time.. I'm glad it worked out that way though.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
"while the military had dropped use of corrosive powders"

It wasn't the powder, it was the primers.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Greek HXP stuff I shot in competition did better than the LC. Most of my fellow shooters agreed.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

Just shoot it and enjoy the moment, no point in having it buried with you.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
299 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 44 invisible), 2,162 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,725
Posts18,400,614
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.