Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I spend money on survival supplies.........guns and ammo, reloading supplies, fishing gear and tackle, long term food storage, Bug out stealth cargo trailer......etc!

The 3's of survival are easy

You can live.....
3 minutes without air
3 hours without shelter in bad conditions
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

Pretty simple when you think about it and the average American has made enouph money to cover the necessities 100 times over yet are completely unprepared busy spending every hard earned dollar on useless schit

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
C H

This is my 4th Street bike. I don't have pix of the first 2.
This pic was taken early in the AM. Had to get in just right position to prevent glare.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I bought this 1200S Bandit in 2011 and have put 22000+ mi on it.

[Linked Image]

This pic is in N C Ark and on the East end of our Elk hunting territory. It takes a few hrs. to get there.

[Linked Image]

I've ONLY had ONE close call. A driver of a Box truck -- LOOKED ME IN THE EYE and crossed center line. I stopped ASAP after passing.
He didn't know what I had in my POCKET ! ! mad mad
He was only trying to scare me....... didn't happen..... made me MAD !!

Last edited by jwall; 09/20/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I spend mine on tittie n beer. The rest I just waste.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by 16bore
I'd rather spend it on my kids than any of the other schit...

Well I’m 68 y o, my kids (2 boys ) are on their own.

I took care of them + 25 yrs.

I don’t have 25 yrs left. ............ Perspective

You won't be around for them in 25 years..........different perspective.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep, My Dad's been gone 20 yrs.

Can't stop it.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’m thinking that I need to turn a few to several rifles into something that I would use.

A 28 gauge Beretta SP V comes to mind.

I have messed around and become too old to chase scaled quail and mule deer in the foothills. Recoil is not as much fun as it once was.

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 09/20/18.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I turned some of mine into vacations, no regrets....

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I had the rifle I wanted, built in 1989.....I’ve used it exclusively since then for all of my hunting. Of course, there’ve been a few purchases that couldn’t be passed up! Since then, the money saved, has been spent on hunting, fishing, and generally investing in stuff we wouldn’t have to buy after my retirement. It’s pretty nice going into retirement, with the home paid for, and all the toys bought. Now try and enjoy the few years left! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/20/18.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I understand D B M (death by motorcycle), it does happen!!
I don't know anyone who died riding a Mcy

I didn't either til 2 days ago. Just got home a couple hours ago from the visitation for an old buddy of mine who drove his Goldwing into a pole. Life just tends to suck, sometimes........death tends to suck ALL the time.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
DON'T get into blades

[Linked Image]

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I was thinkin about ordering some of those Swedish knives. Mora I think. But they’re not too expensive.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Yoder409

I don't know anyone who died riding a Mcy

I didn't either til 2 days ago. Just got home a couple hours ago from the visitation for an old buddy of mine who drove his Goldwing into a pole. Life just tends to suck, sometimes........death tends to suck ALL the time.

That sucks. I ran over a car once on a crotch rocket. Only road dirt bikes after that.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

C H -
Thanks for the compliment.

I don't know anyone who died riding a Mcy.

OTOH - I have had friends die from --- Cancer --- Heart Attacks --- Car Wrecks --- Fall from Ladders --- frown frown

**MY** perspective is this, I don't intend to be sarcastic, critical, or smug.

I don't sleep on a railroad track -- or an Interstate Freeway -- or IN a mortuary!!!! ( I have a funny story about that ) laugh

We can NOT avoid ALL things that MIGHT kill us.

Listen to the Medical Ads..... it takes longer to tell of the Side Effects - than the benefits. confused
One year -- COFFEE is bad for us.........Next year -- Coffee is good.... et.al. wink

More people are killed in automobile accidents than MANY things SO.... where DO we stop?

Totally understand.

On the ride back from FL to IA (mid-1970's) I found out it is perfectly possible to fall asleep while riding a motorcycle. Very short 'nap' and I woke up in the other lane. (For decades I've thought I'm more than a bit narcoleptic.) As I mentioned above, I think an ATV would suit me more these days. For long trips I like to wrap steel around me.

Wife and I are both cancer survivors - hers much worse than mine. Dad was killed by his meds about 6 years ago and my doc wonders why I won't go on meds for slightly elevated blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Just put Mom in assisted living a couple months back and she will be moved to memory care in the same facility as soon as there is an opening. Vascular and Lewy body dementia aren't pretty. (God, please, if it suits You, I'll take a clean heart attack.)

Our house and cars, are paid for - so no debt, plenty of money for retirement or to do whatever we please. I'm 67 and plan to retire in another year and a half - no point doing it now because I love my work. Gave up bars in 1981 when I got married, cigarettes and coffee in 2002. Never been much of a drinker and have pretty much cut that out, too. Managed to lose 24 pounds in the last few months, trying to lose 5-10 more before elk season. Wouldn't mind wearing pants with a 34" waist again.

My primary vices are shooting and hunting. Life keeps getting in the way so I don't get to do either as much as I'd like. Two grandkids now, five come March, and spoiling them is a one of my vices, too.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
C H

I understand your perspective too. One more ?

You said in a thread you loved to play golf > the Green Fees were high in some places.

My ? is, How much is the Green Fee for me to HUNT Mule Deer & Elk in Colorado ? grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I would rather spend on my 3 little Grandsons. Thomas,Parker, and Cannon. The light of my life.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C H

I understand your perspective too. One more ?

You said in a thread you loved to play golf > the Green Fees were high in some places.

My ? is, How much is the Green Fee for me to HUNT Mule Deer & Elk in Colorado ? grin

Depends on where you hunt them, and how.

Have hunted mulies a few hundred yards north of my house for the resident license cost. Current cost is $34.

Elk is a little more. $49 in the draw, $46 for over-the-counter bull tag. Plus fuel, processing, and other expenses, of course. We normally hunt elk and deer in the same season, 5-7 hours from the house. Sometimes we stay in a trailer park (love those hot showers), other times on BLM or USFS land.

The main reason I love golf, though, is it keeps people off my shooting range. Caddied as a kid, haven't golfed since.

Colorado hunting license fees:
License Colorado Resident Non-resident
Elk, bull/either sex $49 $661
Elk, cow (draw) $49 $496
Elk, bull/either sex (OTC & leftover) $46 $661
Deer & Pronghorn $34 $396

When I retire I plan to hunt WY and NM as well. Non-resident prices won't deter. Heck, we already hunt antelope in WY every year. Eleven of us are going up there in a couple weeks, five shooters plus families. Doe antelope tags are under $40 and you can get two. Loads of fun, highly recommended.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
C H

"The main reason I love golf, though, is it keeps people off my shooting range."

I noticed that similar statement earlier and mused that, that was the gist. smile

Elk $ 661. + Deer $396. = $ 1,057.00 > adjusted for inflation.....not too bad. wink
Depending upon TIME available -- Elk would be priority 1.

I do admire decent Mule Deer bucks too.

I actually had a trip planned in 1986, maps, routes, National Forest, TWO pards splitting expenses -- except license fees.
One pard wound up in building a house, the other health reason, I did NOT go alone. frown
I still have the maps ! Outdated no doubt.

I have the possibility "limited no doubt" of hunting Elk here in Ar. We have a drawing every yr. No luck so far.
IF, IF I get drawn travel expenses are near zero and NO License Fee >> 65+ Lifetime Hunting, Fishing - All game included EXCEPT for Duck Stamp.

I don't have a LOT of hope but there is hope.

Thnx for info.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
jwall -

Nice looking bike!

Sold my last one (Honda 750 bored to 850) back in 1980. Did a couple cross-country rides (IA to FL for a couple months and MN to MA for a month). Rained on me from WI to PA - was fortunate to have put a wind screen on it before leaving. Still, yuck on that much rain. Sold it after the friend I bought it from was killed on his Yamaha XS1100 (?) replacement. He was driving past a remote country cemetery and a deer jumped out in front of him. He had just gotten engaged and his fiancee had convinced him to sell this bike. Had had an incident in the service (1972?) with my Honda 250 where I had to go Bullitt and ride it out after a car in the right lane made a sudden turn onto a side street on the left. After Wayne died I decided my luck was limited.

C H -

Thanks for the compliment.

I don't know anyone who died riding a Mcy.

OTOH - I have had friends die from --- Cancer --- Heart Attacks --- Car Wrecks --- Fall from Ladders --- frown frown

**MY** perspective is this, I don't intend to be sarcastic, critical, or smug.

I don't sleep on a railroad track -- or an Interstate Freeway -- or IN a mortuary!!!! ( I have a funny story about that ) laugh

We can NOT avoid ALL things that MIGHT kill us.

Listen to the Medical Ads..... it takes longer to tell of the Side Effects - than the benefits. confused
One year -- COFFEE is bad for us.........Next year -- Coffee is good.... et.al. wink

More people are killed in automobile accidents than MANY things SO.... where DO we stop?
Excellent post J.......Hb

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Rifles are my favorite thing to spend money on, everything else is wasted.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Understand. I have three factory FNs, one with the FN banner and two Brownings (small ring), so I have been set with center fire rifles for a long time. The other fifteen or so just take up space. Same with handguns. I use about four regularly, and the rest get looked at.
Shotguns are a different matter. I use five and the others could be back up.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.