Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
All: Just got back form the 24th annual Hunter's Rendevous at Shedhorn Sports in Ennis, Montana and among other super bargains there I picked up three cartons of Hornady 17 Mach2 ammo for $68.80 per carton (500 rounds!) - then as a door ticket coupon the folks at Shedhorn Sports gave an additional $1.88 of any ammunition purchase!
So after finagling a bit the ammo cost me $67.00 per carton or if you wanted to use your coupon (or in my case, my travelmates coupons) you could get a box of 50 Hornady Mach2 bullets for $5.00!
When I left at 5:00 PM they still had much 17 Mach2 ammo left and were replenishing their shelves of all the munitions including 17Mach2 and various 22 L.R. ammos which were all on sale.
If anyones in the smokey area of Ennis, Montana the Rendevous will be going through Sunday August 19th (open on Sunday to).
43 factory representatives were on hand to answer questions on "everything" including Glocks, Coopers, Smith & Wesson, Colt, Kimber, Remington, Leupold, Zeiss, Nikon, Garmin, Sig etc etc etc!
Spent just over three hours there and the line for the four different folks checking backgrounds for gun sales was over 40 people deep.
It thinned out as dinner time approached.
There was 17 HMR ammo on sale for $8.88 a 50 pack don't forget the door coupon giving $1.88 of any ammunition purchase.
Sadly the 17 HMR ammo on sale today was 20 grain bullets and my guns are sighted in with the 17 grain bullets.
No sales tax in Montana (yet - thank God).
Kennetrek and Danner boots were selling handily as well - IIRC 20% of all footwear.
They said a flyer was online showing all sales items - I don't know that for sure as I had the hard copy flyer that came in the mail.
Well worth attending this annual Hunters Rendevous event and I am going back tomorrow - dealing on a used High Standard pistol - all guns were on sale both new and used.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
FWIW, you can buy Hornady 17HM2 for a bit less at www.wholesalehunter.com.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
FWIW, you can buy Hornady 17HM2 for a bit less at www.wholesalehunter.com.

If you're not driving 140 miles to get your ammo, it's not a deal! wink

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
260Remguy: That indeed is a great price you linked me to at $6,67 per 50 rounds of the Hornady 17 Mach2.
I have NO idea how much shipping would be on a couple of bricks - as I DO NOT buy ammo through the mail/UPS etc.
I do know the last time I mailed a small item it cost me $8.00!!! It was a forgotten phone charger weighing six ounces, maybe!
And I did check the link you provided for shipping charges but all the company said was "buyer is responsible for ALL shipping charges".
Thanks for the link if times get tough again its nice to have these bits of information on hand.
By the way I went back today to buy a pistol I saw there and picked up some more 17 Mach2 as well.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
260Remguy: That indeed is a great price you linked me to at $6,67 per 50 rounds of the Hornady 17 Mach2.
I have NO idea how much shipping would be on a couple of bricks - as I DO NOT buy ammo through the mail/UPS etc.
I do know the last time I mailed a small item it cost me $8.00!!! It was a forgotten phone charger weighing six ounces, maybe!
And I did check the link you provided for shipping charges but all the company said was "buyer is responsible for ALL shipping charges".
Thanks for the link if times get tough again its nice to have these bits of information on hand.

By the way I went back today to buy a pistol I saw there and picked up some more 17 Mach2 as well.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I ordered 1,500 rounds and was charged about $13 for shipping.

I buy stuff wherever I get the best price and most of the time the best prices and/or selection come from on-line sellers.

With this order, I'll have around 12,500 rounds on 17HM2 on the shelf.

PS - not buying ammo from on-line sellers seems like an archaic way of doing things in 2018. I buy a lot of stuff every month and buy locally from Cabela's, Scheel's, and Guns Unlimited if they have what I'm looking for and/or if the price is in sync with the condition. There aren't any small local gun shops around here that aren't pawn shops and since most pawn shops are in the business of screwing both sellers and buyers, I try to avoid them whenever possible.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 08/18/18. Reason: Added comment
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
260Remguy: I have made MANY spectacular deals at pawn shops over the last 5 decades, right up to and including recently.
My travel group and I did the Butte, Montana pawn shops earlier this year (March?) and I ended up buying a mint condition Smith & Wesson Model 19-3 4" 357 Magnum for a fraction of what it is worth from a little pawn shop across from Fred's Mesquite Grill (Fred's dead - may he rest in peace) !
To add to that deal on that mint 19-3 the pistols is factory nickel plated!
I mean this pistol IS cool and its valuable.
I to have a healthy awareness of the typical pawn shop workers/owners mentality and deal with that knowingly and accordingly 99% of the stuff in pawn shops doesn't interest me (mostly because of condition and price) but the stuff that does interest me I am more than willingly to "engage" the workers/owners on.
I frequent a pawn shop in eastern Washington probably six times a year and at this shop I almost always buy a used scope from them - cash (no tax).
Over the years I have bought dozens of scopes from them most of them have been resold by me for a profit!
One example from this shop - I bought a used Weaver V-16 scope with fine crosshairs at this shop for $125.00 cash - no tax.
I paraded it around at a gunshow two weeks later here in Montana and sold it for $185.00.
If I am going that way anyway I always stop at pawn shops and gun shops looking for "the deal" on a great condition firearm or scope.
Nope never have bought any ammo through the "mail" - some of my Hunting and Varminting partners do and some of them are even generous enough to share their "deals" with me occasionally.
I have just had "the ass" for shippers and mailers for the past decade (do to their outrageous shipping rates - here in Montana anyway) and would rather use those shipping charges for buying more ammo when I find deals on it.
To each their own I guess.
With the six cartons I just bought I think I probably have a "lifetime" supply of the 17 Mach2 ammo in my gun vault room.
By the way the nice lady that cashiered me out today told me they have a "ton of the 17 Mach2 ammo in the back" - as I had told her I had taken the last cartons off the shelf inside the store. After buying that ammo I took it to my car and returned to the store to process out my pistol purchase (took a while) and by then the shelf had been replenished.
Keep after'em.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You probably spent more on fuel than you would have for shipping fees if you'd purchased the same amount of 17HM2 ammo from www.wholesalehunter.com. Just sayin'.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
260Remguy: Just sayin' - I (and in the first instance WE) were going there anyway - or are you condemning all Campfire Members to remain in their domiciles and never leave via vehicle???
Never drive anywhere in a car or truck - now that does NOT make sense!
Just sayin'.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In h
260Remguy: Just sayin' - I (and in the first instance WE) were going there anyway - or are you condemning all Campfire Members to remain in their domiciles and never leave via vehicle???
Never drive anywhere in a car or truck - now that does NOT make sense!
Just sayin'.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

You seem to be taking my comments much more personally than they were intended, my thought being that choosing to forgo buying on-line seems like archaic consumer behavior in 2018. What you choose to do is meaningless to me.

You made a point that you don't order ammo on-line because of the shipping costs and I was just pointing out that your fuel expenses were probably greater than comparable shipping expenses would have been for the same quantity of 17HM2 ammo that you purchased in Annis, MT. That's it, no hidden agenda.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
even with the rimfire crisis long gone and over, we still want the thrill of ... you know ... buying some ammo at its value.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
even with the rimfire crisis long gone and over, we still want the thrill of ... you know ... buying some ammo at its value.

I was at W-M earlier today and, as always, did a walk through of the guns and ammo. They have the 1,000 count boxes of Winchester/Olin M-22 .22 LR ammo for $42, $0.042 per round, and Remington 550 count boxes for $19, 0.035 per round.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
260Remguy: Thanks for the heads up on that - I have a friend who is in the Yakima area and is surrounded by Wal-Marts. I will give him a heads up on those Winchester 1,00 count boxes - never seen one of those.
My nearest Wal-Mart is 65 miles away.
Those described munitions prices are very appealing to me as I go through a LOT of it every year.
Thanks again for the heads up.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
260Remguy: Thanks for the heads up on that - I have a friend who is in the Yakima area and is surrounded by Wal-Marts. I will give him a heads up on those Winchester 1,00 count boxes - never seen one of those.
My nearest Wal-Mart is 65 miles away.
Those described munitions prices are very appealing to me as I go through a LOT of it every year.
Thanks again for the heads up.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

The W-Ms around here have the best everyday price for A17 ammo, 200 rounds for $49 and change. A17 is my preferred 17HMR ammo. There are 5 W-Ms within 10 miles, 3 that sell firearms, and since I do some of my grocery shopping at W-M, there is never any reason not to pass by the guns and ammo to see what's on sale. Awhile back, I was tempted and bought some pistol cleaning kits for $9 per unit and some Winchester/Olin 22-250 ammo for $7 per box of 20.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
260Remguy: Good for you on having the Wal-Marts in such concentration!
Speaking of pistol cleaning kits I attended the aforementioned Shedhorn Sports Rendevous and for some reason that store was "closing out" all their Pro-Shot gun cleaning items at 75% off!
I bought several Pro-Shot cleaning kits (in long tubes) including a 17 caliber kit marked down from $44.00 to $11.00 (I will leave this inside the VarmintMobile for when the 17 caliber rimfire bullets get stuck in mine and my friends barrels) and another cleaning kit (in a shorter tube) for centerfire pistols that was also at a giveaway price.
This one I will keep in my gun room as an upgraded tool.
By the way I have two Hunting partners who have recently tried out and then converted to shooting "A-17" ammunition in their bolt action 17 HMR Varmint Rifles.
I may have to try a few boxes of A-17 in my 17 HMR's next year?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You live too far from civilization, as defined by distance to the closest McD's and/or W-M, for my tastes!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
VG and 260..glad to see the A17 is working well for you guys. It did not shoot as well in my ruger predator as the hornady..

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Certifiable
VG and 260..glad to see the A17 is working well for you guys. It did not shoot as well in my ruger predator as the hornady..

Shoots good in my Marlin and Savage, not as good in my Anschutz or Remington 580 parts gun.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Certifiable: I have not tried the A-17 in any of my 17 HMR's as yet but could use that extra perkiness to mortify Ground Squirrels with.
But it would be an interesting comparison - especially in my Ruger 77/17 VT as I have owned it since the first appearance of the 17 HMR and I know how it shoots accuracy wise.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
VarmintGuy, I know that you're not interested in this deal, but another 17HM2 shooter might be:

CCI 17 grain plastic tipped 17HM2 is selling for $5.99 per box, plus shipping, at www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
MidwayUSA has CCI 17HM2 on sale for $5, I've never seen it priced lower.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 52 invisible), 3,158 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.