Hop To
Page 15 of 24 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 23 24
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by PreciousLiberty

The Creedmoor is a home run, and looks to be one of the major military rounds going forward:
https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htweap/articles/20180601.aspx

Thanks for posting.

I read the article. They were testing the .308, .260 and 6.5 CM. Then they were comparing .308 with CM, sorta quit discussing the .260. They never said why the CM was preferred over the .260.

Just curious, no argument with their choice. I have a 6.5 CM, don't have a .260.

DF

BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by jwall
BUT I’m not a member of the C club. grin

Oh yes you are. Just not the Creedmoor Club laugh

When I decide what you are saying.......... confused

I'll let you know if I'm mad or not! ! grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mike74

I'll take the Creed everyday over the Swede. Y'all can keep those x55's and the x57's too while we're at it. When I want a short action I want a short action.

Oh, but Mike this Win 70 is NOT a short action.....> > > not interested.

[Linked Image]

Short actions don't blow my skirt up............don't do anything for me.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mule Deer's Pic.

[Linked Image]

Jerry,

My 6.5x55 beats your 6.5x55: FN Mauser commercial action, Gentry 3-position safety, Lilja 1-8 twist barrel, custom New Zealand walnut stock.

I also once owned a M70 like yours. Nice rifle, but it didn't shoot as accurately as a Ruger 77 Hawkeye, which also had a decent walnut stock. Neither shot nearly as well as my .260 Remington TIkka T3 Super Lite,.!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your stock looks a lot like my Boyd's on the 284 W. I like the pic too.

I don't have many pix of groups with my 70 Swede. I shot a box of W W factory 140s, (came with the gun) and killed several deer with those.
My 120 NPs are shooting 1" or less with no issues. I don't have any pix of the loaded 120s, but they STICK OUT quite a bit. Don't remember the COAL but fit the magazine and chamber very well. If possible I'll take a pic or 2 tomorrow, I like the loaded round. It's on the agenda for some of this season.

Your Tikka T3......doesn't surprise me a bit.

Last edited by jwall; 09/19/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I know it isn't a short action. Hence my lack of enthusiasm. When I want a long action I want something that can fill it.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
BUT I’m not a member of the C club. grin

Oh yes you are. Just not the Creedmoor Club laugh

Yeah, I'm a member of the "Country Club", I do my drinking from a Dixie Cup, I drive an ole Ford Pick Up truck..... Travis Tritt

"There's something women like about a Pick Up man." Joe Diffee

Not only NOT ashamed......but Country Proud.... "I'm From the Country and I like it that way", Tracy Byrd

grin grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I know it isn't a short action. Hence my lack of enthusiasm. When I want a long action I want something that can fill it.

I'm not being smart...... it's different than you think.
You need to see these loaded Swede rounds EVEN with 120s.

If possible I'll take and post a couple pix tomorrow.

I despise trying to STUFF bullets into CASES into Short Actions. ( I know the Creed is shortER)

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jerry,

Good to hear you have a Boyd's stock like this. Here's a closer look:

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That's not what I said,

"Your stock looks a lot like my Boyd's on the 284 W. I like the pic too."

The other pic was NOT that close up. > > No insult intended.

[Linked Image]

Here's why......

[Linked Image]

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Why no lighter for caliber factory loads: Barnes 100 grain TTSX, Nosler 100 grain Partition for those of us that have the "3000" fps or bust fetish?

IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m finding the Creed really aims to please. Shot the 139 Scenars, adjusted up and right a bit, then shot three remaining 140 Bergers. This Barrett in 6.5 Creed is silly it’s so easy to load for.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My only problem with the Creedmoor is it’s name.

1). Swede / Creed ? Really ! 6.5 Breed, Creed, Deed, Feed, Geed, Heed, Leed, Meed, Need, Reed, Peed, Steed, Tweed, Weed, .... pick something that doesn’t ryhme.

2). It has a “I want to be a cool guy” following (see #3)

3). PRETENSIOUS *YES in cap’s

Technically it’s a good cartridge, but frankly it was built because the 6XC was blowing primers (so do 6 creed’s from what I hear)...

The funnest part of all of this —- Many of the PRS guys finally figured out “less recoil” with good velocity= better shooting... so they are moving down in cartridge volume, NOT up. So hot loading a Creed if you are competition shooter says what ? Heck the 6 dasher is now making a serious showing in PRS.

Anyway - Nothing wrong with the 6.5 Creed, especially if you want longer pills for reaching out (fitting into the magazine is always good).

I look at it like this - the 6.5x47 is a few hairs shorter than the 6.5 Creed which has a slightly thicker web area that the x47.
The 6.5 creed is a few hairs shorted than the. 260.

Commercial cartridge wise the Creed is a great thing... (except for the pretentious name that is that gathers wanta-bee’s who never develope shooting skills).

PRS and competition shooters typically have custom guns, so what cartridge we pick often has to do with what we “think” we’re lacking or will improve our game.
But like I said, the 6 dasher is replacing a bunch of creed’s on the line these days - so if it’s about shootability and accuracy... vs. best flexibility and speed with a cartridge there are options.

Yes I just said a creed kicks.... at least compared to a dasher.

Disclaimer — I shoot a 260 bolt like it was a 10/22 and can address multiple targets so for hunting I like the 260 or Creed... either are excellent, so is the Swede, and 7-08.

On the Plus side of having the “cool guy name” CREED- I get to outshoot “COOL GUYS” with a non-cool named cartridge all the time... it just makes you feel warm inside when they have what they “KNOW” is the best, but they can’t shoot with beans...

The look on thier face is priceless when you tell them - well, it can’t be the gun, that’s a creed you were shooting !!

Magic bullets ... BWAHAHAHAHA

Last edited by Spotshooter; 09/20/18.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Creedmoor was the name of the first NRA range. Kinda cool, certainly not pretentious in my view.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Spotshooter,

Please how naming a new cartridge after a historic shooting range is pretentious, especially since the cartridge was designed primarily for target shooting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I read the article. They were testing the .308, .260 and 6.5 CM. Then they were comparing .308 with CM, sorta quit discussing the .260. They never said why the CM was preferred over the .260..
DF

The same reason civilians choose a Creedmoor over the 260- better case design allowing better bullets to fit in magazines. When compared in magazine fed rifles, the 6.5c can use better bullets.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I read the article. They were testing the .308, .260 and 6.5 CM. Then they were comparing .308 with CM, sorta quit discussing the .260. They never said why the CM was preferred over the .260..
DF

The same reason civilians choose a Creedmoor over the 260- better case design allowing better bullets to fit in magazines. When compared in magazine fed rifles, the 6.5c can use better bullets.

I agree with the conclusion, just thought the abrupt dropping of the .260 without a statement by the author seemed lacking, at least from a literary point of view. Sorta left the reader hanging...

I knew the reason, just would liked to have seen it addressed.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I'm not being smart...... it's different than you think.
You need to see these loaded Swede rounds EVEN with 120s.

If possible I'll take and post a couple pix tomorrow.

I've been replacing boards on my 118 yr old barn >> built in 1900. I'm ONLY replacing the boards I have to and keeping the OLD wood on it.
HOT ! H O T !

First is a pic of 270 W (L) and 6.5 X 55 (R) ammo.

[Linked Image]

Next is M 70 FTWT 6.5 X 55 ammo IN magazine.

I took several pix at diff angles.... not easy to hold and take pic at the same time. Best I could do.
[Linked Image]

That is the SAME long action 70 for 270, 06, etc.

The mag follower is DIFFERENT for diff cartridges and may have a 'stop' per cartridge. There is NOT a lot of space behind the cartridges.

Last edited by jwall; 09/20/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Spotshooter,

Please how naming a new cartridge after a historic shooting range is pretentious, especially since the cartridge was designed primarily for target shooting.

Good cop - I’ll try to do better -

To me Creedmoor shooting jackets “as a brand” were what the HP shooters got to improve thier shooting skills - they aren’t cheap so having one and using it actually means something.
Now when I shot, I didn’t do it for points, or to rank, I did it to increase my shooting skills.... but I still bought a Creedmoor shooting coat because they are the best.

Now we have a “creedmoor” chambering... so it no longer means the same thing given anyone can buy one...
So to me the brand / meaning of Creedmoor shifted based on the target market / customer base.

the guys I learned HP from and shot with would have never bragged on the Creed as an “empowerment” ... but would have talked about it’s values and benefits to the industry.
What I often see from “new creed owners “ is not that

So Clarification. - I find Creed Braggers Pretentious..... (I guess I shouldn’t blame the creed name).

I don’t blame Creedmoor for the title... they deserve it, they did the work.... I just hate how it’s being used by some folks...

Like I said, it’s not all bad, when I take a new Creed owner to a 500 yard range and they are suprised that past 300 chamberings don’t make up for experience and shooting skills... they quiet down fast.

BTW - John,... very nice job on explaining how the cartridge development is helping the industry to adjust to the VLD ./ long bullets - it’s been a problem for years, at least we have one writer that’s focusing on the key issues... Thnx for that.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 09/20/18.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mule Deer's Pic.

<edited -- for this post:

Jerry,

My 6.5x55 beats your 6.5x55: FN Mauser commercial action, Gentry 3-position safety, Lilja 1-8 twist barrel, custom New Zealand walnut stock.

I also once owned a M70 like yours. Nice rifle, but it didn't shoot as accurately as a Ruger 77 Hawkeye.......

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have any pix of the loaded 120s, but they STICK OUT quite a bit. Don't remember the COAL but fit the magazine and chamber very well. If possible I'll take a pic or 2 tomorrow, I like the loaded round. It's on the agenda for some of this season.

Here is a 270 , 130 R K L - beside 6.5 Swede 120 N B T
[Linked Image]

The pic doesn't seem like it BUT the bases are AS CLOSE as possible.

The distance to lands is 2.715"
The loaded round OAL - 3.03"

The tip is IN the throat but NO resistance.

[Linked Image]

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
...So Clarification. - I find Creed Braggers Pretentious..... (I guess I shouldn’t blame the creed name).

I don’t blame Creedmoor for the title... they deserve it, they did the work.... I just hate how it’s being used by some folks...

You have probably determined that use of the name was a marketing decision. The cartridge is good, but the name helps to make sales. 'Creedmoor' has entered the lexicon, joining 'tactical', 'sniper rifle' and others. Words are used to sell things. I wouldn't pay the braggers any mind. English is a living language that is continually changing.

Know that it's just a fad. There will be another 'cool, righteous' name for another cartridge in the future.

What was the name of that really cool cartridge everyone was talking a few years back? WSS something or other.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Page 15 of 24 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
841 members (1234, 12344mag, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 80 invisible), 3,242 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,712
Posts18,400,249
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.