Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I have really been wanting to bait Black Bears for awhile now, last year I gave it a try and never had any bears come into my bait site.
I was using oats, syrup, marshmallows, and donuts.

What would be the best area to bait the bears in? and what's a good homemade item to attract bears into the bait site? Any other tips/tricks would greatly be appreciated

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dog food covered with bacon grease. Marshmallows to guide them where you want them.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I used a 50 lb bag of dog food, 40 packages of expired tortillas, expired little Debbie snacks if all sorts, a few other expired sweets and topped it all off with 5 gallons of used deep fryer grease..

Worked awesome for me to tag a Boone & Crockett bear this last June ..

Good luck!

Todd

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
bear crack

melt marshmallows in a coffee can at bait site. Add a packet of coolaid and stick stir. Pour over large rock. It gets very hard, and bear will lick on it for hours.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fry bacon at the bait site and burn some honey when you open a new baiting spot and every time you bait until you have bears coming in. The smell of cooked bacon and burned honey will permeate the area and the smell will last for weeks.

A burlap bag soaked in used cooking grease and drug on the ground several hundreds in all directions will lead bears right to the site.

Take some meat/chicken/fish and let it ferment in a sealed 5 gallon bucket in a warm spot for a couple weeks. The smell will about gag a maggot, but it will bring them in. Put the fermented mess in a burlap bag and hang it where the bears can't get it. The rotting smell will keep working for weeks and bears will check it out.

Oats, marshmallows, and donuts are great once bears are hitting, but none of those put out smell like the above mentioned items.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
We can't wait or use dog any longer! When we did I liked to rub Limburger cheese into the tree bark near the bait! Seemed to work got a couple bear. Haven't hunted bear since the bait and dog ban!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When we used to bait bears, we generally used anise, fruit concentrate or mint in a spray bottle to douse foliage and get it in the airstream.
Of course, that's more to supplement as an attractant than an actual food.

Also used a ton of frier grease over bread and whatever bulk barrels of sugar cones, cookies, cookie dough, cake, carmel etc., we could procure. Much preferred to mix it up rather than feeding the same stuff all the time. Watermelon (along with the aforementioned dog food) is another big hit.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Are y’all baiting bears or Catfish?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by watch4bear
bear crack

melt marshmallows in a coffee can at bait site. Add a packet of coolaid and stick stir. Pour over large rock. It gets very hard, and bear will lick on it for hours.

Then sit back and watch4bear? grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I agree with Lonny. When I baited my bear (scored 20 2/16") on the bowhunt, I used a "stink bag" of fermented old meat in a pillow case hung from a tree near the bait. I burned a honey/molasses mix with bacon and baited with expired Hostess twinkies, cupcakes, donuts, etc. that I got from the "day old" store. I also smeared peanut butter on the logs that were piled up to hold the bait. That bear was eating 15 gallons of the stuff everyday for 4 days before I shot him with my recurve. By far, my most exciting and satisfying hunt.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Put two liberals in a blender, ferment in a garbage can, sprinkler liberally (pun intended) around your bait site.

*Even if it doesn't work you've done your part in reclaiming America from the communists.

Last edited by Fireball2; 09/20/18.

LOL
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by precision223
I have really been wanting to bait Black Bears for awhile now, last year I gave it a try and never had any bears come into my bait site.

What would be the best area to bait the bears in? and what's a good homemade item to attract bears into the bait site? Any other tips/tricks would greatly be appreciated

First, second, and third rules of bear baiting is to place the bait where bears want to be. Just because you dump some food in the woods doesn't mean bears will flock to it. A poor location will have the bait ignored or hit only at night when darkness gives the bear some concealment. Any bears that do hit these baits will typically be very young ones as they have to work the hardest to find food.

A good location will have lots of cover right up to the bait site. If I can see more than 30 yards when standing on the ground I feel it is too open. If my first sight of a bear is when it steps onto the pit, I figure the sight is secure. You need the bear to show up during legal shooting hours and the less secure the bear feels, the more likely he will show up after dark, if at all.

I like low lands as the dampness gives bears a place to escape the heat and is pretty well stocked for food. This tends to attract the larger bears of an area which tends to be one's goal. Higher ground often has better sources of food but is more open. Sows with Cubs and young boars are often found in these areas which are either illegal to shoot or not as desirable. Larger boars will use these areas but often at night or at least when light is very dim.

Keep area as natural as possible. I can't bait until 2 weeks before the season opens but I can prep the site any time. I get out in June or early July and selectively cut brush and saplings that might deflect the shot. I tend to have a very narrow shooting lane and rely on the placement of select baits to position the bear for a shot.

As for bait, that is a good question. We can only hunt in the fall but it seems there are some differences in bait preferences between spring and fall. Spring seems to find grains and large amounts of meat good choices. Some have good experiences with these in the fall but mine has been very mixed. Grains such as corn and oats mixed with molasses have been ignored by bears in one location and eaten occasionally in another. My most consistent producer has been caramel corn and Rice Crispy bars substituting various sugared cereals for Rice Crispies. I double the cereal amounts as one only needs enough marshmallow stuff to bind everything together.

A mix of granola, trail mix, honey roasted peanuts, and cake frosting or pastry filling is also good. I've gotten away from breads, pastries, and the like as they succumb to mold quickly. Dog food fits into the same category. I'll use them if a bait is getting hit daily but otherwise not. I add jellies, syrups, or other flavoring S to the breads and gravey to the dog food to make them more appealing. Given a choice, whole grains and flavored breads like raisin, berry, and cinnamon are preferred. Toasting them can delay mold for a few days unless the toast gets wet.

Candies by themselves haven't been great in one region but have done OK at the other. They have staying power when wet and don't rot but the bears don't seem enthused with them. I'm going to add candies to the granola concoction to see if the bears will develop a better taste for them.

I use a fair amount of fruits and vegetables in my pits, anything other than tomatoes, onions, peppers, and the like are eaten. I'll cook vegetables and squash as that seems to be more attractive and smash fruits like apples and pears. Over the pit cover I will smash a water Mellon which gives off a sweet scent as it rots. That odor carries a long ways. Honey dew Melons and cantaloupes fill in when water melons aren't available.

Meats are saved for late in the year as they rot quickly early when it's warm. Bears prefer fresh meat and eat rotted meat when there aren't many other choices. I deep fry meat as it lasts longer before rotting and the oil can be used as a scent attractant. The larger boars seem to be the most attracted to meat and more so later in the season.

Another problem with meat in Minnesota is it attracts wolves. The best bear country is also wolf country and even the biggest bears don't tolerate being harassed by wolves over food. If wolves move in the bears will leave.

As for scents, I use fryer grease, bacon grease, fish oil, Jell-O mix, and fermented corn. I hang a pair of rags doused with bacon grease and fish oil from a limb several feet off the ground. Melt the bacon grease and pour it onto the cloth and then left solidify and it will last a couple of week so easily. The fish oil needs to be renewed every 4-5 days if it rains.

I ferment corn by filling a 5 gal pail 2/3 full of corn, add 5-8 pounds of sugar, then fill with water to the top. Use a tight fitting lid to keep out air and then place in the sun for at least a month. Slop 1/4 - 1/3 the bucket on the ground around the pit. The odor will waft over the area and any bears or other animals that traipse through it will carry the scent over a larger area. I do the same with fryer grease except a half gallon per pit each week is enough. I might use a gallon initially but it doesn't take much to refresh.

I take strawberry and raspberry jJell-O packets and open them along two sides. Then I toss them as high and as far through the trees as I can. The odors are very pungent and when there is a dew it is even more so. These same packets can be dumped over popcorn to make another decent bait.

Getting to your stand is also important, entering and leaving from a direction not likely to be used by the bears is important. So is getting into position at least 4 hours before a bear is expected to show up. This allows your ground scent to dissipate some which hopefully will give the bear a sense of security to come in during shooting hours. I hunt evenings only Asit is possible to spook a bear in the morning. Once spooked a bear may abandon the bait or only return at night. I also replenish baits around mid-day, no earlier than 10 AM and no later than 2 PM. I am least likely to run into a bear at those times and if I do it tends to be a young one which I don't care to shoot. These young bears are not the wariest either and may stick around even after identifying you. That is not bad, think of them as live decoys and an alarm bell. Their presence is some security and a challenge to larger bears which may bring them in sooner and the sudden disappearance of a small bear may be the first clue a bigger bear is in the area.

Whole books have been written on the subject and there seems to be regional and personal preferences on how to go about baiting. Getting experience can be difficult and time consuming but it is needed to become successful. As already mentioned, the first priority is setting up in a good location. If that is done correctly one can have a chance at bringing in a bear. If done incorrectly, the odds of seeing any bear is drastically reduced.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Eastern NC we use nothing but Peanuts as Natural bait is all we can use, We do put old used fish grease around the area as it seems to help. Going to try the bear crack on big rock for sure. Hard to find a rock here though.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Lots of good information here.....

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

How many bears in your area?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by woodmaster81

First, second, and third rules of bear baiting is to place the bait where bears want to be. Just because you dump some food in the woods doesn't mean bears will flock to it. A poor location will have the bait ignored or hit only at night when darkness gives the bear some concealment. Any bears that do hit these baits will typically be very young ones as they have to work the hardest to find food.

A good location will have lots of cover right up to the bait site. If I can see more than 30 yards when standing on the ground I feel it is too open. If my first sight of a bear is when it steps onto the pit, I figure the sight is secure. You need the bear to show up during legal shooting hours and the less secure the bear feels, the more likely he will show up after dark, if at all.

I like low lands as the dampness gives bears a place to escape the heat and is pretty well stocked for food. This tends to attract the larger bears of an area which tends to be one's goal. Higher ground often has better sources of food but is more open. Sows with Cubs and young boars are often found in these areas which are either illegal to shoot or not as desirable. Larger boars will use these areas but often at night or at least when light is very dim.

Keep area as natural as possible. I can't bait until 2 weeks before the season opens but I can prep the site any time. I get out in June or early July and selectively cut brush and saplings that might deflect the shot. I tend to have a very narrow shooting lane and rely on the placement of select baits to position the bear for a shot.

As for bait, that is a good question. We can only hunt in the fall but it seems there are some differences in bait preferences between spring and fall. Spring seems to find grains and large amounts of meat good choices. Some have good experiences with these in the fall but mine has been very mixed. Grains such as corn and oats mixed with molasses have been ignored by bears in one location and eaten occasionally in another. My most consistent producer has been caramel corn and Rice Crispy bars substituting various sugared cereals for Rice Crispies. I double the cereal amounts as one only needs enough marshmallow stuff to bind everything together.

A mix of granola, trail mix, honey roasted peanuts, and cake frosting or pastry filling is also good. I've gotten away from breads, pastries, and the like as they succumb to mold quickly. Dog food fits into the same category. I'll use them if a bait is getting hit daily but otherwise not. I add jellies, syrups, or other flavoring S to the breads and gravey to the dog food to make them more appealing. Given a choice, whole grains and flavored breads like raisin, berry, and cinnamon are preferred. Toasting them can delay mold for a few days unless the toast gets wet.

Candies by themselves haven't been great in one region but have done OK at the other. They have staying power when wet and don't rot but the bears don't seem enthused with them. I'm going to add candies to the granola concoction to see if the bears will develop a better taste for them.

I use a fair amount of fruits and vegetables in my pits, anything other than tomatoes, onions, peppers, and the like are eaten. I'll cook vegetables and squash as that seems to be more attractive and smash fruits like apples and pears. Over the pit cover I will smash a water Mellon which gives off a sweet scent as it rots. That odor carries a long ways. Honey dew Melons and cantaloupes fill in when water melons aren't available.

Meats are saved for late in the year as they rot quickly early when it's warm. Bears prefer fresh meat and eat rotted meat when there aren't many other choices. I deep fry meat as it lasts longer before rotting and the oil can be used as a scent attractant. The larger boars seem to be the most attracted to meat and more so later in the season.

Another problem with meat in Minnesota is it attracts wolves. The best bear country is also wolf country and even the biggest bears don't tolerate being harassed by wolves over food. If wolves move in the bears will leave.

As for scents, I use fryer grease, bacon grease, fish oil, Jell-O mix, and fermented corn. I hang a pair of rags doused with bacon grease and fish oil from a limb several feet off the ground. Melt the bacon grease and pour it onto the cloth and then left solidify and it will last a couple of week so easily. The fish oil needs to be renewed every 4-5 days if it rains.

I ferment corn by filling a 5 gal pail 2/3 full of corn, add 5-8 pounds of sugar, then fill with water to the top. Use a tight fitting lid to keep out air and then place in the sun for at least a month. Slop 1/4 - 1/3 the bucket on the ground around the pit. The odor will waft over the area and any bears or other animals that traipse through it will carry the scent over a larger area. I do the same with fryer grease except a half gallon per pit each week is enough. I might use a gallon initially but it doesn't take much to refresh.

I take strawberry and raspberry jJell-O packets and open them along two sides. Then I toss them as high and as far through the trees as I can. The odors are very pungent and when there is a dew it is even more so. These same packets can be dumped over popcorn to make another decent bait.

Getting to your stand is also important, entering and leaving from a direction not likely to be used by the bears is important. So is getting into position at least 4 hours before a bear is expected to show up. This allows your ground scent to dissipate some which hopefully will give the bear a sense of security to come in during shooting hours. I hunt evenings only Asit is possible to spook a bear in the morning. Once spooked a bear may abandon the bait or only return at night. I also replenish baits around mid-day, no earlier than 10 AM and no later than 2 PM. I am least likely to run into a bear at those times and if I do it tends to be a young one which I don't care to shoot. These young bears are not the wariest either and may stick around even after identifying you. That is not bad, think of them as live decoys and an alarm bell. Their presence is some security and a challenge to larger bears which may bring them in sooner and the sudden disappearance of a small bear may be the first clue a bigger bear is in the area.

Whole books have been written on the subject and there seems to be regional and personal preferences on how to go about baiting. Getting experience can be difficult and time consuming but it is needed to become successful. As already mentioned, the first priority is setting up in a good location. If that is done correctly one can have a chance at bringing in a bear. If done incorrectly, the odds of seeing any bear is drastically reduced.

This is fantastic info. Particularly so is the info on location and cover - very consistent with our strategy/approach in WI over the years.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Poconojack

How many bears in your area?

Hopefully one less when I'm done.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You don't say where you're located.....how many bears etc.

You "feed" is good but you may need something really smelly
to initially attract em......fish etc....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

One thing that helps if my bears aren't finding the bait is to put filleted fish carcasses on top of the logs. Crows find the carcasses and advertise the bait to the bears.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lots of good stuff.. Fryer grease from a deli works good to get them started. Mix it in with the other stuff, but leave a puddle in front of the barrel or whatever you are using to hold the bait. They will walk in it and track it all over the woods. Meat scraps work well too. Dog food is good because they have to eat it in place. Lots of times the bigger chunks just get drug off and they eat it in cover.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,079 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,072
Posts18,463,743
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.