Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
After being able to caress a 1 1/2 oz trigger on a BR rifle, I am very trigger sensitive. Triggers above 2lbs allow me to shoot high as I pull hard and the muzzle rises.
1 1/2 ponds for me. I never pull the trigger with gloves or have my finger on the trigger until it is time to lite it off.

+1

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Buckskin
For me, the sweet spot I try to hit , is 44 oz on all.

x2

A nice, clean 2.75lb feels just right on a hunting rifle. It did take a bit to get used to at first. I don't think I'd go much lighter (maybe 2.5lbs), and I'd probably want it to top out at around 3lbs.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks all. Mainly what I expected. I did think id get an answer such as finger placement, e.g. pad, knuckle..., surprised I didnt.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have 3.5 to 4.5 on all my hunting rifles. I don't have a rifle with trigger pull under 3lbs.

Scott
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
After being able to caress a 1 1/2 oz trigger on a BR rifle, I am very trigger sensitive. Triggers above 2lbs allow me to shoot high as I pull hard and the muzzle rises.
1 1/2 ponds for me. I never pull the trigger with gloves or have my finger on the trigger until it is time to lite it off.

+1

I agree with this 99%, I prefer 1 1/2 pounds over ponds :-)
Once you have shot a rifle with a 1 1/2 oz BR trigger you can't shoot a rifle with a 4 or 5 pound pull ever again (I have tried and failed). For me the worst is trying to shoot with a 2 stage trigger at any weight, it is so counter intuitive for me to shoot with the induced creep that I can't do it. for hunting it is a single stage only !!!!

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by pahick
Thanks all. Mainly what I expected. I did think id get an answer such as finger placement, e.g. pad, knuckle..., surprised I didnt.

As far as finger placement the knuckle is for the 3 pound plus novice shooter's, the rest of us use the pad !!!!!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
For BG hunting rifles. Depends on the trigger.
M70’s 3
BixNAndy 1-1.25 for M700 clones
Timney Calvin Elite 2.25 for M700 clones

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Around 3 lbs.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by pahick

As far as finger placement the knuckle is for the 3 pound plus novice shooter's, the rest of us use the pad !!!!!

lol...Yes I use the pad of my finger also, but ive seen a lot of folks at the range using the knuckle. Figured there'd be one or 2 here.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I own and shoot rifles with pulls from eight ounces to around 5 pounds. A lot depends on what the rifle's going to be used for. My benchrest rifle's pull is eight ounces, most varmint rifles around 2 pounds, and most of my big game rifles around 3 to 3.5, but a lot also depends on the crispness of the pull. I have an old Winchester lever rifle with a very nice 5-pound pull, that everybody I've had try the pull guess at 3-4.

I also have a few rifles with set triggers, both single and double-set. Mostly they're used with the trigger set, but one of the more interesting is the single-set trigger on my Heym SR-21 .300 Winchester Magnum. Unset, the pull is a very nice 2.5 pounds. When set it's 9 ounces.

I have one with single set, another with double set. I prefer the latter. I have other rifles with single stage triggers ranging in pull from about 2 to about 4 or so lbs. I also have two stage triggers ranging from under 2 lbs to about 4 1/2 lbs. I may be a bit less fussy about triggers than some.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dan

Yeah, apparently I am too!

As for set triggers, I can go either single or double--but one of my rifles actually has both. It's a pre-WWII German SxS double in 9.3x74R, with two triggers--both single-set!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
E
3.0 pounds works for me on my hunting rifles.

Ed
E
E
3.0 pounds for hunting rifles.

Ed
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
The critical thing for me is that I can lay the cross hairs on the target, place my finger on the trigger, and the rifle seems to fire itself when the cross hair centers the bull ( or the vitals on game). I can do that with a 2.5 lb trigger if it has zero creep and zero over travel.

I have a new Timney on a Ruger 77 MK II. It is 38 oz. I am disappointed in that it has a bit of creep. I have not looked for adjustment yet to remove the creep.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
all my steyrs are set to 2.5 lb. the heavy br. 223 is MABY 1 lb. my savage 99 is the only one that needs to be worked on. not sure about what it is but I would guess around 6#.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
22 - 24 ounces for me, I have all of my rifles set at that weight. Like everything else it is what you are used to.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

+1

I agree with this 99%, I prefer 1 1/2 pounds over ponds :-)
Once you have shot a rifle with a 1 1/2 oz BR trigger you can't shoot a rifle with a 4 or 5 pound pull ever again (I have tried and failed). For me the worst is trying to shoot with a 2 stage trigger at any weight, it is so counter intuitive for me to shoot with the induced creep that I can't do it. for hunting it is a single stage only !!!!

I am curious as to why the trouble with a two-stage trigger? I have shot some CMP matches and really came to like two -stage triggers. The Rock River NM triggers for instance have a 4.5 pound pull but with an approximately 2-pound first stage, which I immediately pull through without thought to the second stage. That leaves a crisp final pull that feels to be around 2.5 pounds to me. I've always thought that to be one of the better solutions for achieving both a degree of safety and a crisp, light final pull.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For hunting I like 3.5# or more, depends on how crisp the trigger is. Sometimes it's cold and I will have thin gloves on. Too lite a trigger could be an issue. I like set triggers, gives me an option depending on the situation. For the bench how ever lite I can get the trigger and still be safe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mostly 2lb to 3lb for Remington bolt actions.

Lever action rifles more. Slide actions more. Off brand bolt action rifles (not Remington) without adjustable triggers more.

It takes more practice with triggers that have creep and higher trigger pull.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Varmint bolt guns, 8 ounces
Hunting bolt rifles up to 375 H&H, 2 lbs
Hunting bolt rifles, 400, 416, 458, and 505, 3-4+ pounds
Heavy hunting and steel banger rifles, 1.5-2 lbs
Lever rifles, whatever the factory trigger is.
Sharps and percussion black powder rifles are in the ounces too when going off the set triggers.
Double rifles, factory setting.

Trump Won!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 30 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.