Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Boddington........isn't he the expert that, up until a few short years ago, claimed that anything under .30 cal was inadequate for elk sized game because of the "lack of frontal area" provided by .284 class bullets? I couldn't take him seriously after that, even if he is an "expert". I also have a problem with anyone who files for bankruptcy and screws his creditors while continuing to hunt all over the world. I know that has little to do with caliber/cartridge selection but it says a whole lot about a guy's character.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Don't get me wrong, it killed the elk without a question. It's hanging in my shop right now and couldn't be any deader. I'm just saying I have shot what I consider a lot of elk (about 30-35) and been with friends and family on 3 times that many elk kills. . I didn't like the performance and I won't use it on elk again myself. If I'm hunting with a grandson or someone who needs a light recoiling rifle to borrow for elk, I will loan my 7mm08. I will keep the 6.5 cm for fun and antelope Use whatever works for you. In my opinion it's too light for elk where and how I hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Boddington........isn't he the expert that, up until a few short years ago, claimed that anything under .30 cal was inadequate for elk sized game because of the "lack of frontal area" provided by .284 class bullets? I couldn't take him seriously after that, even if he is an "expert". I also have a problem with anyone who files for bankruptcy and screws his creditors while continuing to hunt all over the world. I know that has little to do with caliber/cartridge selection but it says a whole lot about a guy's character.

I was unaware he filed for bankruptcy. When was that?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by dogwater
I just shot an elk with the 6.5 creedmoore 1/12/19. I shot an antelope with it at the beginning of the season. I had a late season cow tag and wanted to try the 6.5 cm. The antelope was shot with the Hornady eldx and I thought it came apart to easy on the small animal. I used a Swift scirroco on the elk. It's dead but no reaction for quite a while 400 yard shot and no indication I hit it. Glad I was in the open instead of timber I will never use the 6.5 cm on elk again. Just my opinion. It kills them but not what I would consider a decent elk cartridge. I'm back to the 7 mag for elk killing. FYI the bullet entered just behind the shoulder and exited just in front of the off side diaphragm. Elk went about 50-75 yards but I thought I missed. No reaction. Glad I went to check for a blood trail. Very similar performance to a .223 on deer in my experience.

You're bitching about an elk going 50-75 yds? You must usually shoot drugged elk. And maybe the problem is that you picked a "tough" bullet shot at fairly moderate velocity at an animal at a fairly long distance, and expected some lightning-bolt-kill, instead of a relatively small wound channel that efficiently put down the elk. Maybe you should have stuck with the ELD-X. Maybe you make the mistake that many make: that if a bullet comes apart on a smaller animal, it will DEFINITELY FAIL on a larger one. This is wrong. I don't know why so many who have killed so many animals still believe this.

Maybe you should take some accountability for your choices, for your own ignorance, instead of blaming a headstamp. JMO.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bellydeep

I am interested in this too. I'd be a bit dissappointed in the guy if this is true.

He does push the heavy hitters, which I disagree with. Maybe I should say I am more jealous of his travels and hunts than anything else...though I don't think I have ever read about one of his adventures being DIY...

Last edited by T_Inman; 01/16/19.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I just shot an elk with the 6.5 creedmoore 1/12/19. I shot an antelope with it at the beginning of the season. I had a late season cow tag and wanted to try the 6.5 cm. The antelope was shot with the Hornady eldx and I thought it came apart to easy on the small animal. I used a Swift scirroco on the elk. It's dead but no reaction for quite a while 400 yard shot and no indication I hit it. Glad I was in the open instead of timber I will never use the 6.5 cm on elk again. Just my opinion. It kills them but not what I would consider a decent elk cartridge. I'm back to the 7 mag for elk killing. FYI the bullet entered just behind the shoulder and exited just in front of the off side diaphragm. Elk went about 50-75 yards but I thought I missed. No reaction. Glad I went to check for a blood trail. Very similar performance to a .223 on deer in my experience.

You're bitching about an elk going 50-75 yds? You must usually shoot drugged elk. And maybe the problem is that you picked a "tough" bullet shot at fairly moderate velocity at an animal at a fairly long distance, and expected some lightning-bolt-kill, instead of a relatively small wound channel that efficiently put down the elk. Maybe you should have stuck with the ELD-X. Maybe you make the mistake that many make: that if a bullet comes apart on a smaller animal, it will DEFINITELY FAIL on a larger one. This is wrong. I don't know why so many who have killed so many animals still believe this.

Maybe you should take some accountability for your choices, for your own ignorance, instead of blaming a headstamp. JMO.

Wow, you act like the guy just ran over your dog? He's just giving his opinion base on "his" experience.

"Use whatever works for you. In my opinion it's too light for elk where and how I hunt."

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I have shot elk with 160 Partitions from a 7 mag, that had that same response. Sometimes it takes them a bit to figure out that they are dead, if you did not hit bone.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I am interested in this too. I'd be a bit dissappointed in the guy if this is true.

He does push the heavy hitters, which I disagree with. Maybe I should say I am more jealous of his travels and hunts than anything else...though I don't think I have ever read about one of his adventures being DIY...

Court records show 2012-2014

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I casually know Craig from the fishing lodge in BC where we both fish most years. Nice guy, served in the Marines, good writer, and knowledgeable gun guy. I know nothing about his personal life, but I do think he re-tooled spousal units a few years ago which may be the root cause of filing. Wouldn’t be the first time that happed to even a good guy....

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Court records show 2012-2014
Would that be about the time his daughter had the accident in Africa and shot a guy/tracker?

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

July 2013 Chapter 7. It was discussed over here......

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/cb-finance-debate-egg-recipes-etc.42879/page-2

[img]https://www.africahunting.com/attachments/screen-shot-2018-04-06-at-09-58-47-png.223999/[/img]

Last edited by JGRaider; 01/16/19.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/cb-finance-debate-egg-recipes-etc.42879/page-2

[img]https://www.africahunting.com/attachments/screen-shot-2018-04-06-at-09-58-47-png.223999/[/img]

At the risk of piling on, I did see a custom rifle he ordered from a custom gun maker in Havre, Montana. It was a takedown, left handed action with high quality engraving and gold inlay. It also had Boddington's name inletted into the rifle with the rank of "General USMC" engraved on it. It was over $25,000.00 worth of rifle and work and Boddington never picked it up. It is hard to sell a highly embellished gun to someone who doesn't have the same name, rank and serial number...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

At the risk of piling on, I did see a custom rifle he ordered from a custom gun maker in Havre, Montana. It was a takedown, left handed action with high quality engraving and gold inlay. It also had Boddington's name inletted into the rifle with the rank of "General USMC" engraved on it. It was over $25,000.00 worth of rifle and work and Boddington never picked it up. It is hard to sell a highly embellished gun to someone who doesn't have the same name, rank and serial number...

I always thought deflave Precision specialized in the tactical stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's dissappointing. Calhoun?

I would question having his serial (did you mean service) number being engraved onto a rifle...as it is nothing more than his SSN.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks JR...disappointing for sure. I would imagine there's more to the whole story that isn't being told...but it is still disappointing.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

That's dissappointing. Calhoun?

I would question having his serial (did you mean service) number being engraved onto a rifle...as it is nothing more than his SSN.

I didn't say they put his number on the gun, just that Name, Rank and Serial number is a reference to your identity that wouldn't transfer to someone else of a diffent name...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotcha...I think.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
When I got drafted in 1969, I was issued a US prefix service number and then a few days later told to forget it and use my SSN. .cant recall the service number. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
243 works nicely.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Here's Craig Boddington's take on the use of the 6.5 CM on big game, in a recent blog on Wholesale Hunter:

Overall Impressions… and Concerns

"The 6.5mm Creedmoor is a fine cartridge for medium-range work on deer-sized game, and it does its work with very mild recoil. I wish I’d performed a bit better when I joined the Creedmoor Club, but it wasn’t the cartridge and for sure I will use it again. However, the incredible hype surrounding the cartridge right now concerns me. It is not a dragon slayer, and as good as it is for long-range target shooting, it lacks both energy and bullet weight to be an ideal long-range hunting cartridge. At normal hunting ranges I am convinced it is not the equal of the .270 Winchester, and it is certainly not a .30-caliber. If I change my mind I’ll let you know!"

I've killed just as many dragons with the 6.5 as I have a .460 Weatherby.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,837
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.