Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
and picked out a fat cow

Was she 'nice' ? If she wasn't, you are the first guy ever, to not pick a "nice, fat cow". I always wondered how guys could tell how nice one is, and if they could also tell how to avoid the bitchy ones......

Cow elk are like cattle. The high headed ones are C U Next TuesdayS

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
huntsman,

Have noticed the same sort of thing when somebody shoots a forkhorn mule deer. They're always "fat forkhorns."
Apparently nobody has ever killed a skinny forkhorn, though I have seen a few here and there, including in pickup beds.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
huntsman,

Have noticed the same sort of thing when somebody shoots a forkhorn mule deer. They're always "fat forkhorns."
Apparently nobody has ever killed a skinny forkhorn, though I have seen a few here and there, including in pickup beds.

Truer words have never been spoken!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
huntsman,

The fat, "dry" doe/cow is another good one....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by prm
Big whoop, what bullet?

143 ELD-X. Instead of a nice fat cow, I almost wrote that I had the pick of the litter. Two elk stood by the fallen one while the others started to bunch-up and trot off. They soon followed.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 01/06/19.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
huntsman,

That right there is a noshitter! LOL

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pat,

Maybe the fat, dry doe and the fat forkhorn should get together and have some fat fawns....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That's why I like at least 20x on a hunting rifle...really get in there are see the condition of the milkery.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What if the one you pick out as a nice fat dry cow identifies as being a d***head skinny forkhorn? Who are we to impose our preconceived view of their gender?
Is this when the .270 is more socially acceptable than the Creedmoor, or are they equally appropriate? wink

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
One should never assume a rifle's chambering. That is socially unacceptable.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
huntsman,

grin

Or my favorite.... I shot a 3 year old spike that wasn't ever going to be more than a spike buck.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
That's why I like at least 20x on a hunting rifle...really get in there are see the condition of the milkery.

:Grin:

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Regarding the OP, if you’re wrong, you have my company.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pat,

Maybe the fat, dry doe and the fat forkhorn should get together and have some fat fawns....

Do those beget "decent" bucks?

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 01/14/19. Reason: Rephrased.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I just shot an elk with the 6.5 creedmoore 1/12/19. I shot an antelope with it at the beginning of the season. I had a late season cow tag and wanted to try the 6.5 cm. The antelope was shot with the Hornady eldx and I thought it came apart to easy on the small animal. I used a Swift scirroco on the elk. It's dead but no reaction for quite a while 400 yard shot and no indication I hit it. Glad I was in the open instead of timber I will never use the 6.5 cm on elk again. Just my opinion. It kills them but not what I would consider a decent elk cartridge. I'm back to the 7 mag for elk killing. FYI the bullet entered just behind the shoulder and exited just in front of the off side diaphragm. Elk went about 50-75 yards but I thought I missed. No reaction. Glad I went to check for a blood trail. Very similar performance to a .223 on deer in my experience.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here's Craig Boddington's take on the use of the 6.5 CM on big game, in a recent blog on Wholesale Hunter:

Overall Impressions… and Concerns

"The 6.5mm Creedmoor is a fine cartridge for medium-range work on deer-sized game, and it does its work with very mild recoil. I wish I’d performed a bit better when I joined the Creedmoor Club, but it wasn’t the cartridge and for sure I will use it again. However, the incredible hype surrounding the cartridge right now concerns me. It is not a dragon slayer, and as good as it is for long-range target shooting, it lacks both energy and bullet weight to be an ideal long-range hunting cartridge. At normal hunting ranges I am convinced it is not the equal of the .270 Winchester, and it is certainly not a .30-caliber. If I change my mind I’ll let you know!"

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by dogwater
Elk went about 50-75 yards but I thought I missed. No reaction. Glad I went to check for a blood trail. Very similar performance to a .223 on deer in my experience.

180* Different than my experience with a .223 on deer.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Craig Boddington ? You're killing me smalls

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogwater
I just shot an elk with the 6.5 creedmoore 1/12/19. I shot an antelope with it at the beginning of the season. I had a late season cow tag and wanted to try the 6.5 cm. The antelope was shot with the Hornady eldx and I thought it came apart to easy on the small animal. I used a Swift scirroco on the elk. It's dead but no reaction for quite a while 400 yard shot and no indication I hit it. Glad I was in the open instead of timber I will never use the 6.5 cm on elk again. Just my opinion. It kills them but not what I would consider a decent elk cartridge. I'm back to the 7 mag for elk killing. FYI the bullet entered just behind the shoulder and exited just in front of the off side diaphragm. Elk went about 50-75 yards but I thought I missed. No reaction. Glad I went to check for a blood trail. Very similar performance to a .223 on deer in my experience.

People sling an arrow and an animal is recovered within that distance, never complain. JS.

It may not flatten game, but kills them dead. If I want a solid WHACK and blood trail, I would use a 338, 358 with 225 grain, or a 9.3 with 250 or 286gr. Just me.

No perfect round for everything, but a good bullet thru vitals, does the deed w/o regard to what launches it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Here's Craig Boddington's take on the use of the 6.5 CM on big game, in a recent blog on Wholesale Hunter:

Overall Impressions… and Concerns

"The 6.5mm Creedmoor is a fine cartridge for medium-range work on deer-sized game, and it does its work with very mild recoil. I wish I’d performed a bit better when I joined the Creedmoor Club, but it wasn’t the cartridge and for sure I will use it again. However, the incredible hype surrounding the cartridge right now concerns me. It is not a dragon slayer, and as good as it is for long-range target shooting, it lacks both energy and bullet weight to be an ideal long-range hunting cartridge. At normal hunting ranges I am convinced it is not the equal of the .270 Winchester, and it is certainly not a .30-caliber. If I change my mind I’ll let you know!"

I never liked Bodington until this, now I like him about the same as Mule Deer. If JB would write something about the 222 mag, he would be my favorite.

Hint...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.