Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Owl Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So, I have a couple of digital scales. One a no name brand, and the other is a Frankford arsenal. I quickly found out that the no name was okay for pine wood derby cars, but was less than desirable for powder charges. And as of lately, the Frankford has been finicky.

So, looking for recommendations, and why you recommend that particular scale.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
BP-B2

Owl Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No one ?

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two scales, an old PACT Digital Precision Powder Scale I bought in the mid-90s and the one which is part of my Chargemaster 1500 Combo---I think it's essentially the RangeMaster 750 scale. It is a far better scale than the old PACT, but I would imagine that the PACT scale must come with much better software than the old ones by now. I guess I might be surprised, too.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RCBS Chargemaster 1500 combo, as above.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you are looking for a scale only I have been pretty impressed by the Hornady version. I have a Pact that cost 4 times as much that doesn't work worth a darn.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/700534/hornady-g2-1500-electronic-powder-scale-1500-grain-capacity

IC B2

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have the RCBS charge master combo and I really like it. It is easy to set up and use. I have had it for four years and I am glad I bought it. It was recommended to me by someone I worked with that had one and had been using it for some time. The only drawback is that it isn't cheap to buy. I have been handloading for over 20 years and over time upgraded my equipment. I started with a Lee anniversary kit. If you get one I am sure you will love it. Very accurate and consistent. Hope this helps.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I like the Hornady Auto Charge better than any electronic scale I've used.I don't use the auto charge as much as I just use the scale on the unit itself.It's very quick and stable on the weights.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I also like my Hornady Auto Charge. Easy to use, and have not had any issues.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSH
If you are looking for a scale only I have been pretty impressed by the Hornady version. I have a Pact that cost 4 times as much that doesn't work worth a darn.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/700534/hornady-g2-1500-electronic-powder-scale-1500-grain-capacity

I’ve used a Pact . Both the gray Pact and the green one made for RCBS. Pact has quit repairing the green scale. But they still repair their gray model. I’ve had these for years and they have been returned for repairs. It’s easy and cheap . Call them and send it in. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RCBS Charge Master.

The combo is a great tool for load work up or it can be used as just a scale for hand measured precision loads.

Likewise, it can be used as just a scale to dial in a powder drop.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a charge master set up for loading rifle ammo. I have a Harrell’s measure set up over a rangemaster scale for pistols. Hasbeen

[Linked Image]

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RCBS charge master. I like mine a lot. Pretty dam accurate.May through a light charge but just hit the trickle button.
Just finished loading 350 rounds of 223. Double checked and it's spot on.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have the RCBS Charge Master and it too is finicky. I have to constantly re-zero. maybe I got a dud I finally got fed up and went back to the beam scale.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Roystu
I have the RCBS Charge Master and it too is finicky. I have to constantly re-zero. maybe I got a dud I finally got fed up and went back to the beam scale.

Could have a lemon. But I’ve heard voltage swings and certain kinds of lights give the Chargemaster problems. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Originally Posted by Roystu

Could have a lemon. But I’ve heard voltage swings and certain kinds of lights give the Chargemaster problems. Hasbeen

Static electricity can also make them squirrelly. Try wiping it down with a dryer sheet and see if that doesn't help.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had other brands over the years but the GemPro 500 has been best by far..

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I use a chargemaster also.
Was watching YouTube videos and this video gave me a pause.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K4gCV8fLJ9U

I think I need to suffer a McDonalds run to get a straw for the mod and trickle up to my charge.

I also have changed my process. I used to throw all my charges then check each for squibs and then seat all. I now throw charge, seat bullet while the next throw is being made by the chargemaster.

It seems the biggest complaint is the speed that it takes to throw, but I seat bullets about the same speed as the thrower throws. I have not found my press movement to have any effect the chargemaster.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
I use a chargemaster also.
Was watching YouTube videos and this video gave me a pause.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K4gCV8fLJ9U

I think I need to suffer a McDonalds run to get a straw for the mod and trickle up to my charge.

I also have changed my process. I used to throw all my charges then check each for squibs and then seat all. I now throw charge, seat bullet while the next throw is being made by the chargemaster.

It seems the biggest complaint is the speed that it takes to throw, but I seat bullets about the same speed as the thrower throws. I have not found my press movement to have any effect the chargemaster.

You might give this a try. Made my CM more accurate. Hasbeen
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...ducing-inserts-for-chargemaster.3846088/

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have used a Lyman 1500 for the past 3 or 4 years to load while practicing at the range and also use it to weigh loads at benchrest matches. I have been very pleased with the Lyman. If it was to quit, I would purchase another one. I haven’t seen a need to purchase anything more expensive to weigh accurate powder loads.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
RCBS Chargemaster is Legit,Ran mine for 6 years or so now,very accurate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (257_X_50, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,954 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.