Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 300MAG

PS - I am starting to fade away from the big magnums I have shot in prior years...taking a beating and with decent accuracy is not fun anymore, LOL!!

We all gain a little wisdom with age. laugh

I'd worry more about getting a suitable elk in front of me than rifle chambering.
I wouldn't hesitate in using the 6.5 Creedmoor. Best of luck with your hunt!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 300MAG

memtb:

I have heard nothing but good things about the ELD-X bullet on big game...elk included. Your post surprises me.....

I haven't killed anything with the 143 ELDX yet, but I messaged alaska-lanche here, and he has whacked numerous head of game up in Alaska with that exact bullet. Not sure I'd worry too much about some water jug test, as I like real world, game killing experience. Just my thoughts.

I wouldn't hesitate to take that 6.5 if it were me. I'd probably use a 140 Accubond though, 'cause I'm an AB slut.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd hate to see the water jug of a lifetime get away wounded....;)

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It is not the gun I would choose. Having said that, my GF shot a mature cow moose last year with my swede and 130 gr accubonds. Hit the moose on the run quartering away at 80 yards. Bullet travelled diagonally and was found under the hide on the other side.

Worked fine..

I am a big Hornady fan - but , the ELD-X would not be my choice of bullet on an animal that size.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It will do just fine... 12 year old daughter killed this water jug at 450 yards with a 260 and 140gr Amax a few years ago...

[Linked Image]

Public landowner...
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I fired 4 rounds with my 300MAG into this Elk below & the bullets bounced off, I'd suggest building a custom 475 H&H Magnum before the hunt.

[Linked Image][size:14pt][/size]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I certainly wish you the best! Please get back to us about your hunt. When you get your elk, all the “gory” details would be welcome! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I didn’t shoot jugs, but I did shoot damp magazines. Surprised me, but the 139 Scenar penetrated the most followed by 127 LRX, 140 Partition, then a ways back in no order were 147 ELD, 143 ELD-X and 140 VLD.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
"I have shot all 3 rifles from various field postions not just off the bench...at this time I tend to shoot the Creedmoor more accurately...feel
more comfortable shooting it too!!"

I'd say that's your answer then.

In hunting big game, accuracy is 95% the function of the shooter and 5% the function of the rifle and the ammo.

Use the one you use the best. As long as you have a bullet that will expand and still go through, it doesn't matter as much what rifle you use, as it does how well you use it.

Last edited by szihn; 09/24/18.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by prm
I didn’t shoot jugs, but I did shoot damp magazines. Surprised me, but the 139 Scenar penetrated the most followed by 127 LRX, 140 Partition, then a ways back in no order were 147 ELD, 143 ELD-X and 140 VLD.

I seem to remember that test and found it very interesting. Got a link?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I know an 85 pound 13 year old that got a cow elk in UT on Saturday with 6.5CM Kimber 84M.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lots of examples of young kids and women shooting elk with a cartridge at the top or near their recoil maximum. The creedmoor will certainly kill elk but is marginal for angled shots, thick bones, longer distances. I only get 1 week of elk hunting a year and am not interested in passing a makeable shot because I selected something less than I’m capable of shooting. I went the other way and traded my super accurate 7mm for a very accurate 300 Weatherby to extend my effective range and get a little more oomph. Most everything under 200 is still a neck shot with either rifle.

805 Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Use the 6.5CM and stick to your personal limits and you will be fine. Sounds like you’re very confident with the rifle/accuracy and that is IMO more important than using a magnum caliber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And most of all, have fun on your trip.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I hesitate to post but..... No experience with the 143 eldx on elk, only 2 deer....but I'm not sure I'd want to use that bullet for elk. Both bucks died but I'm a little skeptical on the bullet's performance. Again, only a sample of two and neither were perfect broadside shots. Others seem to have had great performance so it's only my experience.....I'll probably try it again on deer just because I'm so curious and want it to work.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by prm

I seem to remember that test and found it very interesting. Got a link?

Here it is:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...creed-moose-and-bear-bullet#Post13004529

The Scenar seems to be constructed of a more robust core material. It was impressive. It did pencil through the first layer of ~1.5" particle board, but then left a comparable channel the rest of the way. I wish I had soaked the magazines a little more. Too dry and it really tears bullets up, especially the softer bullets.

Last edited by prm; 09/25/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On rifle hunts, I haven’t seen but one elk killed in the last 10-12 years with anything but a 260. 140 SGK is among the most frangible of “game” bullets, and a few elk shot with 140s died just as dead. The last two cows were lowly 120 accutip blems (Hornady SST is same/same, but Hornady never made 120s with a red tip) started out at 2800 fps... both were dead in less than 5 yards. Got both recovered slugs, look just like an ad picture from a manufacturer, and came from the hide under the off side. Haven’t recovered many 140s, they just exit, reliably... SGK is the one that doesn’t exit, but theres nothing to recover bullet wise.

Haven’t had a Creedmoor long enough to shoot an elk with one... but put an elk in front of it and a tag in my pocket, and it’s gonna be dead as disco pronto.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
do it, it will work!!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My concern, the bullet. My hunting partner shot and elk last year with a 7mm rem mag. about 50 yards away broadside. But the only spot he could see was the front shoulder, so he shot it there. Bull rolled down the hill and got up and ran away limping, no follow up shot. lucky for us there was snow on the ground. We tracked it for about 1/2 mile and spotted it bedded, we were close, real close, as in 20 yards. He shot it thru the lungs this time, twice. Took a long time to die.
1st shot, hit the scapula and the bullet blew up, hardly any penetration. Did not break any bone, how do I know?? I deboned it for the pack out and checked, I wanted to know what happened, I loaded the round. Shots 2 and 3-- one hit a rib bone the other did not. NEITHER of these two bullets did a pass thru, I found both of the while skinning...at 20 yards?? Granted the speed of partners 7mm was only 2880 they both should have zipped thru. Animal I have seen shot with this bullet. It was the ONLY bullet his gun would shoot so we used it. Never again!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tom338
My concern, the bullet. My hunting partner shot and elk last year with a 7mm rem mag. about 50 yards away broadside. But the only spot he could see was the front shoulder, so he shot it there. Bull rolled down the hill and got up and ran away limping, no follow up shot. lucky for us there was snow on the ground. We tracked it for about 1/2 mile and spotted it bedded, we were close, real close, as in 20 yards. He shot it thru the lungs this time, twice. Took a long time to die.
1st shot, hit the scapula and the bullet blew up, hardly any penetration. Did not break any bone, how do I know?? I deboned it for the pack out and checked, I wanted to know what happened, I loaded the round. Shots 2 and 3-- one hit a rib bone the other did not. NEITHER of these two bullets did a pass thru, I found both of the while skinning...at 20 yards?? Granted the speed of partners 7mm was only 2880 they both should have zipped thru. Animal I have seen shot with this bullet. It was the ONLY bullet his gun would shoot so we used it. Never again!!!

Tom, what type of bullet were these?

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,747 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.