Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
So, I've come to appreciate the old .22's more and more, but I didn't grow up with them so I don't really know them.

What are the best models to look for today? The ones that have stood the test of time?
And that the average guy can afford (Winchester 52's make my wallet squeak and try to hide deeper in my pocket).

Rifles you can scope without drilling holes in them are a big plus. Good triggers are another.

ps - just picked up a Savage 23AA and other than the scope mounting challenge I couldnt be happier.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Winchester 69s and 75s, Remington 500 series (510, 513, etc), Mossbergs of various models, which are often overlooked because they were not as popular but are usually good shooters. Most all of the later versions of the mentioned ones usually have grooved receivers.
The triggers on any of them may require a little work depending on your expectations.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I like the 511's and 512's - they caught my eye years ago because I assumed the two lug bolt would be good for accuracy.
Sounds like it was a good guess.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Drover made all good suggestions and your Savage 23 is a good one too! The Remington 510 series rifles have only one issue and that’s the trigger (as mentioned) - only so much can be done with the design to make it “better”. I would also add the Mauser series rifles (340s, 350s, 410 & 420s, & 201s) which sometimes can be found fairly reasonable. Kleinguenthers, some Voeres, Stevens (416) & some single shot versions, Savage 19, Winchester 72, Walther KKJ and KKM, early Anschutz, and Marlin 1897 & 39s are all that I have experience with and all shot great. Many are not scope compatable and if in good condition would not be something that I would drill and tap. I shoot many with factory irons or period receiver/tang sights. There are probably many others that I’m forgetting but seems like most pre-60s .22s shot very well even many of the “cheap” single shot versions. Good luck - I’ve found it a lot of fun over the years picking up older 22 rifles that I was not familiar with, to see how they shot, and was often times pleasantly surprised - plus many of these older less “popular” rifles can be had at reasonable prices.

PennDog

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Remington 40x RF sporter. Just joking. If you think the 52's are high....

I'll second or third the motion on Rem 500 series. Had shot them but never appreciated them when I was younger. Bought a 512 a few years back & I still can't believe how much I enjoy it. Bought a 1953 model 550-1 last year. Kind of a bulky looking semiauto. But it had purdy wood, a Williams peep, it was made in my birth year. and......... it was $210 out the door. If most semi auto 22's made knew this gun they would hang their head in shame over its accuracy & dependability.

Nylon 66's are a blast, & again, their dependability makes all other semi auto's pale.

The icing for the cake? Get on ammoseek.com & have a look at current 22 RF pricing. It hasn't been this good for 15 years.

Don't overlook some of the modern examples, CZ for instance. Think good scopes with fine x hairs & adj. parallax. Over the years some fine 22's have been downgraded by folks installing a... " it's just a 22, any old scope will do". This is usually far worse than feeding one crappy ammo.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I've been looking for a good 550-1 for a while, and while not exactly "vintage" I have had great luck with my 552 and 582.
I'm also lucky to own a fine shooting CZ 455 "Lux" (not like the 452 Lux) and a dolled up 10-22 that is the most accurate .22 that I have ever seen.

But I know there are some truly well crafted old .22's out there that id like to experience for myself (yeah, maybe even a 52 someday...)
I just don't know which ones they are, which is why I really appreciate it when people like you share your knowledge.

ps - I'm with you, and I routinely mount some very good glass on my rifles. I think that a small-bell 4-12 with AO is very appropriate for an accurate .22 and if its a target gun I don't see a reason to limit the mag or quality. AO is nearly a must for me & rimfires, but I find that low mag scopes just don't need it for field use.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If I were buying now,I would look used at the 54 and 64 action Anschultz,depending on target or hunting. The CZ 452's and 453's are nice and I think about as good for the money as you can buy in a sporter. Lots of nice ones,but it would be hard to go wrong with one of those.

Check out www.rimfirecentral.com

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

The older .22's are a step back in time. Many bolt guns especially ,can be very good shooters , if properly cared for thru their life. Many guns that we paid 30-40 $ for in the '50's and '60's....now bring several hundred $ in good to excellent shape. The Rems, Marlins, Mossbergs, Winchesters and others can be a lot of fun and very serviceable .

The later would be grooved for scopes. The long BBLs. on many made for excellent shooters. ( some had 25" BBLS ). Of course, if you are on a nostalgia trip, the one thing that has changed is ones' eyesight.

The triggers were mostly medicore, with little to be done for much improvement. A slight amount of honing/ polishing may be helpful. However , most of the time not much improvement can be acheived ,nor is it needed.
I have futzzed around changing angles slightly....but not recommended.

The older rifles ( not only rimfires) are a lot of fun.

This is from a guy that appreciates the newer firearms also. That would include the Annies, Coopers, etc. I am an equal opportunity powder burner.

Have fun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pump Winchesters and Remingtons and a couple of these lever actions are great shooters. And very well made from the 50's-early 70's.

Winchester lever 9422
Winchester pump 61

Remington pump 121

Marlin 39

Awesome 22's

All American

All the time
K
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks guys

What I'm looking to do is bring together a small battery of classic .22's to enjoy, and some of the fun is going to be learning about them. In sure some of the "fun" will be finding them too.

I was a machinist/Toolmaker when I was young, and a mechanical designer for a time after that. Now I shuffle paper. I find myself wanting some good old craftsmanship to appreciate and I'm a gun nut so.... here we are.

Just looked at a Rem 550 at a local store. Good bore, so-so cosmetic condition, heavy/mushy but clean trigger that I'm assuming is typical. It does have a grooved receiver. Thoughts on its value?

Thanks!

Last edited by kragman1; 09/26/18.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ll second the .22 pumps, both Winchester and Remington. I’m a huge Marlin 39A fan, Winchester 75 bolt gun and Winchester 74 for a semi auto. H&R model 12 is a real nice shooter and as already mentioned those Mossberg trainers are a real steal.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 09/26/18.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
"I am an equal opportunity powder burner"

You go cisco! An excellent quote. I might steal this one.

And yes, Stan, the 61 is nice, but it's a Winchester & will command bigger bucks for the name. Is it better than the 121 Rem ? The Rem ain't cheap for a nice one , but the Win will usually command more. I'm on a quest for a 121 BTW. As nice as I can find that won't cost a months SSI. I look weekly.
The Marlin 39 was/is a standard gun for a complete 22 RF battery. How could a RF lover not have a 39?

Longer barrels....... they will extend your iron sight shooting for 5 or ten years. When looking at a 512 Rem that was for sale, which has a 25.5" barrel, my 5 year old younger brother said, wait a minute, I can see the front sight on this gun. I said let me see that, & grabbed it from him, shouldered it & soon told the seller I'd take it.

I've often thought about the numbers of a battery of guns one should have, others strive for that too. Three centerfires should do it, as well as 3shotguns & 3 to 5 handguns.
22 RF's don't count, a man ought to have as many of those as he wants.

"Centerfires seem to be tools while rimfires are joy" gunzo

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the Winchester 77s with tubular magazines, don't like the detachable magazine style at all, and they are still reasonably prices and show up on GB all the time.

Another Winchester semi-auto that I like is the 490, but it isn't what I'd consider "old time".

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
All good sound advice. I would suggest also saving your nickels and adding at least one top tier target rifle from the mid-20th century. While many of the aforementioned rifles are known for their accuracy, there was a reason you never saw any of them being used by top competitors in their day. Experience a Model 52 Winchester, M37 Remington, or MkII or III Martini and have your eyes opened- you'll realize your wallet squeaking wasn't justified and was trying to tempt you away from an adventure in true accuracy. One Model 52 or two Remington M12's, hmmmmm. An inch, inch and a half at 50 yards or aspirins at 50 yards, hmmmmm.

Another realm of interest are the .22 milsurps: British Enfields, Mausers, Mas 45's, and of course the king of the heap the Springfield M1922/M1/M2 series. Some of them are as salty as a Winchester 52, others a lot less. Many are stunningly accurate (such as the Springfield), all are stunningly fun.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite: Winchester 63 semi auto, 2nd Winchester 62 Pump, 3rd Winchester 61 pump.

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
sun Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Two recently discontinued Remington bolt action .22's that have become popular classics are the Models 741 and 741T.
The T has a heavy barrel and the 741 is a sporter.

EDIT: I MEANT TO SAY REMINGTON MODEL 541T & 541T - HB. THE 541T IS A SPORTER AND THE 541T-HB HAS A HEAVY BULL BARREL

Last edited by sun; 09/27/18.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Good Morning Kragman,

Pickup a late '50's Gun Digest Catalog or Shooters Bible ...lotsa info there.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by sun
Two recently discontinued Remington bolt action .22's that have become popular classics are the Models 741 and 741T.
The T has a heavy barrel and the 741 is a sporter.

Are these different rifles than the 541S and 541T?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I usually pickup all the old nice blue/walnut 22 I can find between 100-300 bucks. Anything from 1900-1960s...that style stuff.

you need a nice old winchester 67, any of the old pumps..I have a rem 121, win 62, and win 1890. Found an old savage 120 awhile back that is a shooter. Winchester 310 or 320. Marlin 99. Sold my Rem Apache but which I had kept it. I'd love to have a nice Win 63. Oh...and a Rem speedmaster 552 is a must. Old Ruger Standards or MKi. I've passed on a lot of other stuff that was in a little too far gone condition, I'd like a nice set of the Rem 500 series....I see them from time to time in shops, just nothing quite clean enough for me.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kragman1
I've been looking for a good 550-1 for a while, and while not exactly "vintage" I have had great luck with my 552 and 582.

You weren't looking hard enough... wink I bought a really nice 550-1 (1967 vintage) on gun broker for $200 from a shop in Rhode Island....I'd bet it hadn't had a brick run through it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 57 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.