Excaliber is the way to go

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
The Ravin R10 is all you need in their line. Don’t worry about the 200 yard R20. Personally, I feel as though 100 is too far for a crossbow. The advantages of the Ravin are truly nice. Their cocking system, along with the decocking system are superb. The bolt doesn’t ride on the rail either. It’s phenomenal is close quarters because of overall width. If I were buying a crossbow today, I’d do myself a favor and check out the Ravin.

The parent company of Crosman just bought Ravin for 94 million. Not knocking a Centerpoint, but if they truly thought they had the best bow in the business they wouldn’t have dropped nearly $100,000,000 for Ravin’s technology.

The Ravin isn't legal for hunting here in NY. Doesn't meet the minimum 16" width requirement. Even if it were legal, the vast majority of crossbow hunters aren't going to spend that much on a crossbow. The Center Point Sniper 370 is a standout in performance/value in the under 600.00 crossbow market. I'm sure the Ravin is a standout in the high end market but they are not competing with the Center Point's in that market.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I also have a Koda bow. It has a custom Excalibur 355 micro front end. But the rear adjustable stock is awfully rattling and noisy. I have to figure out something there. The trigger is not like the ravin r 9 .

However the ravin is very uncomfortable carrying cross country with the sling that came with it.

All in all I still prefer shooting my Hoyt rampage, or bear recurves.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Looking at getting a used TenPoint Venom for a little more than the cost of that Centerpoint Sniper mentioned above.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the excaliber is a good crossbow, not a compound but is very accurate

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Before I bought my crossbow I shot pretty much everything available. Since I bought it I shoot everything I can at every opportunity. I only have experience with one Ravin, an R-9, not long after they came out, but I did shoot it quite a bit. I tested it shooting at 20 yards which was all i had available. I found it less accurate than Excaliburs, and most other compound crossbows. It was not a lot less accurate, but it was quite consistently so. I laid it off to a combination of the goofy arrow rest and the tight string pinch required of the nock because of the rest. With most of the rail based rests I could consistently get accuracy using the same arrow shot after shot to put that arrow back into the same hole as many times as I wished. The half moon nock designs were capable of being a little less accurate which I think was due to slight off center nocks. The flat backed Excalibur design produced the best accuracy if the rail was properly aligned.

None of the crossbows I put through their paces was inaccurate to the point of being a concern about putting the arrow precisely where you wanted it at 20 yards. So, unless a person is bound and determined to do something stupid, any of them would be better than vertical bows for general deer hunting. The degree to which they are better is shooter dependent and not easily measured across the general hunting population. All of them had the power to drive and arrow completely through Bambi at normal range and a double lung even with a large 4 blade head.

If you believe noise is a significant issue, some are quieter and some are louder. None will get past a deer's ears at bow ranges.

Speed helps, but realistically, you have to be moving an arrow awfully fast to discount the deer's ability to move much past 20 yards. That would be speed well beyond the capability of today's arrows and bows.

The ease of maintenance and use of the Excaliburs is probably the largest difference between the crossbows. Some ( Ravins) require pretty specialized nocks. The half moon nocks can and will cut strings on the first shot with them at the wrong angle and that can damage the bow and the shooter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW:

When it became apparent I was going to be hunting public land for the forseeable future, I decided to invest in a crossbow to give me more time in the woods, and that before the deer all get run off to safe zones. Didn't want something that required a bunch of periodic maintenance like most compounds, so I went for an Excalibur. Anything that needs doing, I can do myself. Bought a Matrix Bulldog 380, in an upgraded package featuring their better scope. Had it together in minutes. So far, every shot I've taken, even before I adjusted the scope, would have skewered a deer. I've checked the zero out to 50 yards, probably farther than I'll ever get a shot at. The broadheads I picked shoot to the same spot as field points up to 30 yards so far; more testing to follow. I bought the special crank for my bow so I could practice without ruining my back. Cost me a bit, but it's quality kit. Another edge for Excaliburs is that they can be decocked.

Not saying there aren't better bows, or ones just as good for less money, but this thing is a slam-dunk for easy, accurate, and reliable. All told, including extra bolts, string, broadheads, two targets, and crank, I'm in it for $1500-$1600, and I expect it will last as long as I need it to.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by ksmuleman
Excaliber is the way to go

Yep, wouldn't trade mine for anything other than a newer one.

Eagle Lake, Mississippi is close to heaven.

"Everything Hipsters touch turns to chit........Period..
Whisky.....Beer.....Tobacco.....Boots....Clothing....Gear......you name it..
Good thing the fuggers don't like firearms.." Fieldgrade

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have had a pile of crossbows both compound and recurve and IMO Excalibur is the way to go, they are light and tough and very easy to work on and unlike most compounds you can decock them, that is a big plus cause its a real pain to have to shoot your bow to unload, its means either shooting an arrow into the ground (this is hard on arrows even the dummy discharge arrows usually dont last long) or having a discharge target around somewhere........Good luck .....Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I picked up a TenPoint Vapor from the Bass Pro Outlet store at their annual clearance event. I was out the door with for less than $700 for a sealed box model. It is stupid accurate and quiet. It is 80 yards from my back deck to the backyard turnip patch. The bow is very capable of hitting a 8" circle consistently shooting off of a Bog Pod tripod. Honestly, if I could still shoot a bow again, I would sell the crossbow as it takes away some of the excitement.

CK
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I have had a pile of crossbows both compound and recurve and IMO Excalibur is the way to go, they are light and tough and very easy to work on and unlike most compounds you can decock them, that is a big plus cause its a real pain to have to shoot your bow to unload, its means either shooting an arrow into the ground (this is hard on arrows even the dummy discharge arrows usually dont last long) or having a discharge target around somewhere........Good luck .....Hb
The center point sniper can also be decocked without shooting. That said I really don't understand the big deal with decocking. I just throw my x-bow target in the back of my Jeep when I go hunting and decock by shooting an arrow into it at the end of the day.

G
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
G
Get the ravin and dont look back best xbow out there But remember you stuck with buying there acc. arrows nocks still worth it love mine

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Blackheart
The center point sniper can also be decocked without shooting. That said I really don't understand the big deal with decocking. I just throw my x-bow target in the back of my Jeep when I go hunting and decock by shooting an arrow into it at the end of the day.

You can also decock a Stryker Katana 385, it has the Tenpoint anti-dryfire system.......I think some Mission bows may have a let down feature but Im not sure......I have owned many brands of crossbows that I had to carry a decocking target with me when I went hunting ( I got tired of ruining arrows by shooting them in the ground) this means you must carry your still cocked bow out of the woods... Many times I had to carry my unloaded but cocked crossbow a few miles in rough terrain back to my truck. I did this one time only to find that someone had stolen My unloading target from the back of My truck. A buddy of mine was not so lucky, the thieves in his case actually busted out the back window of his Toyota 4Runner to steal his target ( this happened in Ohio) so this meant he went the last 4 days of our hunt and the 5 hour drive home with no back window....(PVC plasteek and duct tape back window) ....Now I only buy bows that have a decocking feature.......Good hunting.....Hb

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Barnett BCR.
150 LB recurve
Anti-Dryfire
Adjustable length.

$119.00 on amazon
$128.00 at walmart when they have them.

carbon express arrows from walmart and 100 grain fixed muzzy's.

I used the above to take a 7 point buck last year at 34 yards. Complete pass-through. I have 2 other friends that have the same simple set up. It works and keeps on working now for 3 years and 14 pigs (9 of those were complete pass- throughs) later it is still working.

We all carry in a lightweight backpack a 22 inch bolt with a golf ball drilled and glued to the front. That is our decockng bolt. Fired into the ground never a problem.

Its not hard and its not rocket science.

Good hunting.

HEAVY.

Last edited by HeavyDove; 09/28/18.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Some good info and opinions here.... Due to a shoulder injury, I may be looking to An Xbow for a while. What about the inverted limbed designs? The longer travel of the string transferring energy to the bolt seems it would be an advantage to me with the inverted limbs (?).
Has anyone shot both types that can compare the *recoil* feel or lack there of?

Also, I have watched YouTube videos at those bragging about 100 and 200 yard shot capabilitys. The arc height in between the shooter and target looks to be about 6 to 12 feet. That pretty much negates taking advantage of extremely long shots in a wooded environment, or even typical hunting ranges in more open environments without major compensation.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Some good info and opinions here.... Due to a shoulder injury, I may be looking to An Xbow for a while. What about the inverted limbed designs? The longer travel of the string transferring energy to the bolt seems it would be an advantage to me with the inverted limbs (?).

Also, I have watched YouTube videos at those bragging about 100 and 200 yard shot capabilitys. The arc height in between the shooter and target looks to be about 6 to 12 feet. That pretty much negates taking advantage of extremely long shots in a wooded environment, or even typical hunting ranges in more open environments without major compensation.

Recoil is negligible with any crossbow I have shot. The rainbow trajectory for long shots is not the thing that should preclude those shots at game so much as the fact that the game animal has almost a week to move after you loose the arrow. Crossbows are loud. Crossbows do cause deer to jump. Even the fastest of crossbows allow time for Bambi to move SOME at as little as 20 yards. Moving a small amount may be worse than moving a lot.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
M58, I was just wondering what the effect of the inertia would be with the inverted limbs moving in the opposite direction.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart

I brought mine home at noon and shot a field point into my target. Gave me a chance to check my sights after banging around the woods all morning. A potential snag is the law here restricts carrying a bow uncased in your vehicle during certain hours, and most cases won't hold a cocked bow. I bundle mine up in a shooting mat.

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/29/18.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bludog
Opinions of the TenPoint Venom? Introduced as top of their line in 2014, 372 fps, light weight, and accurate. Gotta good lead on one, lightly used.

Ten Point is still the industry standard, although, Ravin is quickly nudging Ten Point out of that slot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

We have both a Horton Vision (reverse limb) & an Excalibur recurve.

Both excellent crossbow, both have taken game.

The narrow width of the Horton is fantastic in tight spots, or when maneuvering in & out of stand/blinds.

The Excalibur is certainly simpler & more robust, but it is also the louder of the 2.

Neither has noticeable recoil.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.