Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
For me, it depends on where I am hunting and what the terrain and vegetation is like. I do most of my deer and antelope hunting in eastern Montana. It is wide open with lots of relief and great spot and stalk opportunities. I have shot all my animals except two off of a bipod when in that country. It is easy to stalk to a location where the bipod is useful and, of course, it is rock steady.

When hunting in the mountains for deer or elk, I usually have one in my pack, but I rarely have one on the rifle. I don't think I have ever used one for animals in the mountains. That said, I have shot a lot more animals on the prairie than in the mountains, so I use them quite a lot.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Chainsaw
Primos Trigger Sticks. Use The Mono Pod and the Tri Pod Versions.

Instead of the Primos Tri-pod I use the short mono-pod and the short bi-pod. They are the right height for sitting down.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by buffybr
Originally Posted by ingwe
I use my pack if I use anything. Learned a long time ago the less crap I pack up the hill, the better...

+1
And my pack is minimal. Usually a minimal amount of survival and hunting gear in a fanny pack, and sometimes an empty pack frame to carry meat out.

I see many of the Outdoor Channel "experts" carrying huge, filled packs for day hunts even when hunting out of their spike camps.

That, and the amount of gear some folks on this board pack for a morning hunt boggles my mind. I've been told I take my life into my own hands, and accused of never having had to spend an unplanned night out on the mountain, and if I did I would carry all that gear too.

I just accuse those guys of being a pussy. I've been cold, wet and uncomfortable hunkered beneath a spruce tree for the night several times. I'll take a miserable night every once in a while instead of packing the weight of a full load everywhere I go, "just in case". All my safety gear combined weighs just a few pounds, and it is more than I ever have needed. Different strokes, I guess.

Sorry for the derailment.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
When I go out west the guides usually just have me use the hood of the truck, but sometimes find the tailgate a better option.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Harris bipod. Make sure to get the swivel model.

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,314
Posts18,468,326
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.